Doubts about my teaching skills

Hello everyone,

So basically I was at Tesco Lotus the other day and this guy comes up to me and asks me if I would be interested in teaching English at his school. He works for a public school (grade 7 to 12, age 11-18) in the South of Bangkok and they seem to be desperate to employ a second foreign teacher. Apparently the last one had to go back to his home country because of medical reasons.

A bit of information about myself: non-native speaker, though confident in English as I used to live in the UK for six years, with a degree not related to English literature. I taught English to orphans in India for two weeks, which I found very rewarding but at the same time draining and it was difficult to get everyone's attention. At the end of the two weeks, only about half of the kids bothered to join the class.

I've done a bit of research what Thai kids expect from teachers and it appears they are more into learning by playing games. Thai students love enthusiastic and energetic teachers who make learning fun, called 'sanook'. And this is where I become doubtful whether I'm creative enough to keep the class focused. Let alone being able to find some structure in how to teach them, if you know what I mean.

The interview went very well, they even asked me if I can start on that very day. I'm being offered a one year contract, visa formalities will be arranged by the school. The guy who 'headhunted' me promised me to show me everything and give me some kind of introduction, but again I have doubts whether this will be enough to actually teach proper English. The last thing I want is being called a scammer as I only use this job to be able to remain in Thailand after my 30 days tourist visa expires.

Perhaps someone can share their own experiences how they started their teaching career or give some advice whether my doubts are legitimate or not.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thailand has enough teachers who are just trying to extend their visas.. If you doubt your ability then you should leave the country and go get another tourist visa to stay longer. Don't make the kids suffer from your ineptness just so you can stay here longer...

Valid doubts in my opinion; can be very frustrating if you take yourself and even the job too seriously. It is difficult and often not very rewarding but if you prepare well and don't take the whole thing too much to heart, your skills at keeping the class focused and happy will improve with time.

In my experience many teachers give up teaching because they can't get enough job satisfaction but the secret here, in Thailand, is not to expect too much of yourself whilst doing your level best to make the learning task interesting and productive for the students without 'beating up on yourself' as the Americans would say.

You'll learn a lot from the experience and I'd advise learning as much Thai as you can too thus making it interesting and 'fun' for yourself as well.

You sound conscientious; I'd go for it - good luck.

Obviously I need the money as well. If I had the choice I would do a different job, but I don't have a choice right now. I did not fake my CV or told them things about myself which are not true. The thing is they offered me the job knowing I have no or very little experience teaching English. So I presume it must be common for newbies to start such a career in Thailand. My research online confirms that theory too.

I'm neither a teacher nor a native English speaker but I would have a bit of advice for any English teacher here: use music! Thais in general and Thai kids in particular love songs. I'm sure that much could be achieved by learning lyrics. Of course even much better if you can play guitar and have them sing along.

I've never seen this happening in any English class I've witnessed in Thailand. Of course that would not replace learning the fundamentals of the language such as grammar and tenses but it's my feeling that it would tremendously help to keep interest up.

Actually, the main reason why unlike so many of my compatriots, even among young graduates, I have a decent control of the English language (or so I hope... you're welcome to tell otherwise and correct my mistakes) is that I had this wonderful young English teacher some 40 years ago, a skilled guitar player as well, who really made me love the language through learning the lyrics of some great songs. I can remember "Sounds of Silence" from Simon and Garfunkel, "Epitaph" from King Crimson and so many others which I still know by heart.

One does not need to read beyond here "The last thing I want is being called a scammer as I only use this job to be able to remain in Thailand after my 30 days tourist visa expires."

However, am sure the OP is aware he will need a "B" visa and a work permit.

As a non native speaker and today teaching in Thailand I would say go for it! Even if you might not be the best teacher you are better than no teacher and probably better than a Thai teacher!

It might be hard in the beginning but if you really work hard and do this because you can make a difference in the life of the children then it will be rewarding.

I'm lucky and have moved away from being English teacher to teach subjects related to agriculture (to be honest, vocational students are the worst students in the educational system). But why I really like teaching are those students who want to something with their lives; I have former students who today are working as cabin crew for Thai Airways, working and studying in Denmark, Israel and Japan and so on. They can all do this because they studied English! The best rewards are when a former student tell me that they can do something because they studied with me and that they liked to study with me as I made them like English (most thai students actually don't like to study English and students studying vocational education are even more negative to English), this is because most Thai teachers teaching English can only teach grammar and don't even know how to use the language in in an everyday situation.

Offered a job in Tesco, not a native speaker, not sure about his skills. I really think Thai kids deserve a little better then this.

Maybe they do but there's a distinct lack of NES deciding to teach here any more. A complete noob can teach in Vietnam for $20 plus an hour. It seems like the days of backpackers earning a bit of cash before carrying on with their travels are just about over.

There seems to be a view that if you speak English reasonably well ... I mean most people get the gist of what you mean most of the time ... that you're then able to teach it.

The suggestion from one poster that you bring a guitar and have teenage children parrot the lyrics is an example of why that point of view is borderline frightening., as is the mention that "this guy comes up to me and asks me if I would be interested in teaching English at his school."

Obviously I need the money as well. If I had the choice I would do a different job, but I don't have a choice right now. I did not fake my CV or told them things about myself which are not true. The thing is they offered me the job knowing I have no or very little experience teaching English. So I presume it must be common for newbies to start such a career in Thailand. My research online confirms that theory too.

Are you a qualified professional teacher with relevant experience? No.

Are you doing the job out of necessity to get some money and a valid visa / extension of stay and WP? Yes.

Do you think a non native speaker, who has lived in any country for a few years, is qualified to teach that language?

Do you think someone with a minute amount of voluntary teaching experience and no relevant qualifications can teach? I think you know the real answers.

Do yourself a favor, and more importantly do one for the children.

Ignore the eternal pessimists on TV.... The fact is that Thailand doesn't pay enough to attract the sort of teachers that they refer to, and you at least sound like you care and will make an effort to teach, you'll soon know if you're doing a decent job so good luck.

I'm neither a teacher nor a native English speaker but I would have a bit of advice for any English teacher here: use music! Thais in general and Thai kids in particular love songs. I'm sure that much could be achieved by learning lyrics. Of course even much better if you can play guitar and have them sing along.

I've never seen this happening in any English class I've witnessed in Thailand. Of course that would not replace learning the fundamentals of the language such as grammar and tenses but it's my feeling that it would tremendously help to keep interest up.

Actually, the main reason why unlike so many of my compatriots, even among young graduates, I have a decent control of the English language (or so I hope... you're welcome to tell otherwise and correct my mistakes) is that I had this wonderful young English teacher some 40 years ago, a skilled guitar player as well, who really made me love the language through learning the lyrics of some great songs. I can remember "Sounds of Silence" from Simon and Garfunkel, "Epitaph" from King Crimson and so many others which I still know by heart.

i guess this kind of advice is relevant if you're the kind of person who takes medical advice from someone who has never studied medicine, let someone you met in the street carry out a dental procedure on your teeth or takes legal advice from a bloke you meet in the bar, etc, etc... coffee1.gif

As a non native speaker and today teaching in Thailand I would say go for it! Even if you might not be the best teacher you are better than no teacher and probably better than a Thai teacher!

It might be hard in the beginning but if you really work hard and do this because you can make a difference in the life of the children then it will be rewarding.

I'm lucky and have moved away from being English teacher to teach subjects related to agriculture (to be honest, vocational students are the worst students in the educational system). But why I really like teaching are those students who want to something with their lives; I have former students who today are working as cabin crew for Thai Airways, working and studying in Denmark, Israel and Japan and so on. They can all do this because they studied English! The best rewards are when a former student tell me that they can do something because they studied with me and that they liked to study with me as I made them like English (most thai students actually don't like to study English and students studying vocational education are even more negative to English), this is because most Thai teachers teaching English can only teach grammar and don't even know how to use the language in in an everyday situation.

I find it quite troubling that someone who has gained some experience in teaching, but is apparently not a qualified teacher, wants to encourage others to follow suit. Even if the person being encouraged seems even less qualified.

Many native English speakers couldn't teach English, nor should they be allowed to. Teaching children is a profession that required traines professional people. Not tourists and back packers looking to extend their trips and raise some finance.

I don't know where you come from but the English language of your post isn't brilliant. No idea what your pronunciation is like. You are happy to slag Thai teachers off as a stereotype generalization but we have no idea of your knowledge, competence and ability to teach English grammar.

The notion that just because you get by in English somehow qualifies you to teach is actually reason enough not to allow you to teach.

There are good, bad and excellent teachers in every educational system. But most don't allow non qualified teachers to simply walk in off the street.

Many people 'wing it'. It doesn't happen. You need to be trained and know your stuff.

Called 'duty of care' and 'professionalism'. ..'accountability'. If you are in it for the $$$ or a visa that could run but run out when the students are not learning anything according to the curriculum. But hey, not raining on your parade, I've seen so many cheats mind boggles how people get these jobs.

Ignore the eternal pessimists on TV.... The fact is that Thailand doesn't pay enough to attract the sort of teachers that they refer to, and you at least sound like you care and will make an effort to teach, you'll soon know if you're doing a decent job so good luck.

Would you want him or her teaching your children?

"Ignore the eternal pessimists on TV.... "

So if your child was in his class you'd be just pleased as punch that his English teacher was recruited more or less off the street and woefully unprepared to teach? I suppose based on that logic you'd have your car serviced by someone off the street who thought the car was a lovely color or you'd seek medical treatment from someone who made a sincere effort to get it right despite only being qualified to give first aid?

Hardly a case of being a pessimist. Just because you don't have a screw driver readily available, it doesn't mean pounding a screw in with your shoe is a good idea.

Can you speak English with a clear and easily understandable accent? Can you follow normal English conversations between native speakers? If so great, because their Thai teachers can not. You will be of use.

Don't worry about being accused of being a 'scammer'. The reality in Thailand is, the majority of Thai students do not have a teacher who can actually speak and understand the English language. The school wouldn't be trying to hire you if they had native speakers with years of experience lining up to take the job.

The children need to be exposed to competent speakers. People who can listen and understand normal spoken English. People who can correct their pronunciation and give them conversation practice. Do all this and you will be of great help to the students who want to learn English, because the vast majority of their Thai teachers CAN NOT do this. There are a lot of students out there who just want someone to practice chatting with, and they have no one because their Thai teachers can not

Can you speak English with a clear and easily understandable accent? Can you follow normal English conversations between native speakers? If so great, because their Thai teachers can not. You will be of use.

Don't worry about being accused of being a 'scammer'. The reality in Thailand is, the majority of Thai students do not have a teacher who can actually speak and understand the English language. The school wouldn't be trying to hire you if they had native speakers with years of experience lining up to take the job.

The children need to be exposed to competent speakers. People who can listen and understand normal spoken English. People who can correct their pronunciation and give them conversation practice. Do all this and you will be of great help to the students who want to learn English, because the vast majority of their Thai teachers CAN NOT do this. There are a lot of students out there who just want someone to practice chatting with, and they have no one because their Thai teachers can not

"There are a lot of students out there who just want someone to practice chatting with ..."

So he's got a class of 20, 30, 40 students in front of him and he's going to "chat" with one or two while the others play with their mobiles?

For better or worse, they will undoubtedly be facing examinations at some point. The few he connects with might do well in the "chatting" portion of the exam, but I doubt that would be any significant measure of their English skills.

Can you speak English with a clear and easily understandable accent?

A clear and understandable accent??

Wow. He's apparently talking about a school, not some conversational English classes for aspiring tour guides.

To a non-NES student, hearing a clear and understandable Australian speaker and then a clear and understandable Irish accent would be like two different languages. And, again, students in what sounds like a secondary school need a great deal more than an ability to "chat."

If the "school" which allegedly offered this job to the OP actually secure him a "B" visa, "work permit" and a "waiver" from the Thai teaching council I will invite volunteers willing to knock me down using a feather !

I predict this will end with yet another illegal worker and the OP accepting the risks of fines, jail time, deportation and a ban.

I'm a retired US native English (well, American English) speaker with 105 graduate hours beyond my masters in education, taught high school students as a career, so I have "creds". Teaching is something of a "performing art" so those who see it as similar to being doctor or dentist are just off, imo. You will compete for their attention just like having a TV talk show. You seem to want to do well, and that is half the battle. Pay attention to what works and what doesn't and adapt. Results may vary. There are teachers with Phd's that couldn't teach a kid how to tie shoes, and there are teachers with no paperwork who are fantastic.

Wondering if doing well enough and having doubt can be a good thing. That discomfort could spur you on to do better. Don't expect lots of external rewards, praise, etc. Doesn't seem to go with the territory in my experience. I might consider it a plus that you are non-native speaker: you no doubt have bumped up against the rather chaotic areas of English so can empathize with the students in ways native speakers couldn't.

Good luck, hope you do it, and maybe report back to us in a few months.

I'm a retired US native English (well, American English) speaker with 105 graduate hours beyond my masters in education, taught high school students as a career, so I have "creds". Teaching is something of a "performing art" so those who see it as similar to being doctor or dentist are just off, imo. You will compete for their attention just like having a TV talk show. You seem to want to do well, and that is half the battle. Pay attention to what works and what doesn't and adapt. Results may vary. There are teachers with Phd's that couldn't teach a kid how to tie shoes, and there are teachers with no paperwork who are fantastic.

Wondering if doing well enough and having doubt can be a good thing. That discomfort could spur you on to do better. Don't expect lots of external rewards, praise, etc. Doesn't seem to go with the territory in my experience. I might consider it a plus that you are non-native speaker: you no doubt have bumped up against the rather chaotic areas of English so can empathize with the students in ways native speakers couldn't.

Good luck, hope you do it, and maybe report back to us in a few months.

As an educated "educator" would you willingly allow your children to be "taught" by an unqualified "teacher" who was recruited in Super market ?

Are teachers in the USA recruited, at random, by people roaming around supermarkets ?

"There are a lot of students out there who just want someone to practice chatting with ..."

So he's got a class of 20, 30, 40 students in front of him and he's going to "chat" with one or two while the others play with their mobiles?

For better or worse, they will undoubtedly be facing examinations at some point. The few he connects with might do well in the "chatting" portion of the exam, but I doubt that would be any significant measure of their English skills.

There is a lot more to it than just in class lessons. On of the primary benefits of having foreign teachers is allowing students to get conversation practice outside of class as well. Over the course of a year students who want to learn will find many opportunities to practice their English. Which they would normally never have, most Thai teachers will NEVER speak in English with a student. Not even the most basic conversations (because they can't)

As for the tests, maybe you're not familiar with the test they take. Average O-net English results for M.12 was 25% last year. On a multiple choice test with 4 choices. 90% of the students don't have the slightest clue what is going on in the test. Only the very top students, mostly at elite schools that wouldn't hire this guy, have any idea what the questions are even asking.

A clear and understandable accent??

Wow. He's apparently talking about a school, not some conversational English classes for aspiring tour guides.

Yes, that is extremely important. The students have to be able to understand what the teacher is saying. A common complaint Thai students have with non native teachers is that they can't understand anything they say. Their Thai teachers are largely unintelligible as well(when they are even brave enough to speak instead of just writing on the board and lecturing in Thai), and some of their foreign teachers have thick non native accents that no one can understand. It is important that the students learn to communicate clearly, that is what language is ultimately about.

Most of the students at the average government mathayom can't count past ten and can't answer basic who/what/when/where/why questions. Because they have never had an opportunity to actually practice using the language before. Getting a score beyond 30% on the O-Net is never gonna happen for most. People are seriously out of touch with the situation at many government schools. Students who can't say how old they are after a decade of study and teachers who never speak English and are terrified of even trying. Someone who will actually use the language with the students is an improvement at the majority of Thai government schools.

At those ages they need mentors and guidance for their lives.

There are many skills a great "teacher" can possess well beyond subject matter and approach.

The best teachers I remember were probably average at their subject matter. But they had personality and life skills to share that well make up for it.

Hé man, your heart is not in it, just want some backpack money.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from teaching English, you probably don't even speak it correctly.

Thousands have gone before you.

There is a dire shortage of young native English teachers in Thailand with educational qualifications. As long as you are presentable, have a degree in any subject, look youngish, have a white face and are a native speaker you might be approached for a job. You are there, as a teacher, to try and help students get over their shyness with farangs and to force them to speak and listen to English. In many ways it is an easy gig, but you do need to have a bit of a thick skin and do your preparation. It helps if you need the money or have reasons why you want to stay in Thailand.

I would say give it a try. I tried teaching last year, but didn't last out the year. I enjoyed teaching the gifted classes, but the daily commute (one hour each way) and sheer grind of sometimes having 28 teaching hours per week wore me down. I could have handled just my own classes, but one is forever having to front up for other teachers who are absent. I gave sufficient notice so the school could replace me.

The other teachers, and students, all liked me and I threw myself into my lessons with energy. However, it can be tough keeping up those energy levels when you are effectively repeating 20 or more classes. This isn't such a problem as the weeks progress because there are so many holidays your classes fall out of synch.

It is good to experience the respect and fun of the students outside the classes. It is a good experience. For me, at the end of the day I had to figure that I didn't retire just to be working 8:00 - 5:00 pm, I didn't really need the money and I had more than enough to fill my day looking after my farm.

Archived