Help ! About renting a car on site for driving test.

susanschwaiger

Today I went to the Land Transportation Office for getting a new car driving license .

When I arrived there, inside of the yard, I saw a white Toyota Vios parking under a tree. I guessed that was the car to be rented for driving testers.

After a whole morning's video watching, we were told we can go home now and come tomorrow morning for road test and theory test. The officer told me I can rent a car "outside" . I went to the yard again, but could not see that Vios anymore. And no one around to ask about.

So I went outside of the Land Transport Office and saw only one shop opposite the road showing "Car Rental Test". But the shop girl brought me to some other girls in the other shop. They first said they don't have car now. I told them I need car for tomorrow morning, then again they told me they don't have auto gear car !

Maybe there was some communication problem.....I'm quite frustrated. Who has experience of renting a small auto gear car on site for driving test? Please give me some advice. I have a Honda Accord 2010. But I really don't want to drive there without a legal driving license.

PS: Maybe is possible to hire a taxi to go there and do the test ?

Thanks so much

Susan

Just ask somebody to drive you and your car to Land Transportation Office and problem solved.. If you do not have suitable friend for this, i am pretty sure you can find a thai needing some extra baht..rolleyes.gif

If you do not know who to ask, tell your what you need to security boys, moto taxi boys or similar, they will help you out

If you offered one of the other car testers a few hundred baht, they might let you use their car for the driving test portion. The driving test itself literally takes only 5 minutes or so...the waiting around in line can take an hour or so. If it's any consolation to you, I drove in Thailand for 10 years without a license so I'm sorta in the camp of the previous poster of just driving your own car there but to each her own.

If you offered one of the other car testers a few hundred baht, they might let you use their car for the driving test portion. The driving test itself literally takes only 5 minutes or so...the waiting around in line can take an hour or so. If it's any consolation to you, I drove in Thailand for 10 years without a license so I'm sorta in the camp of the previous poster of just driving your own car there but to each her own.

With invalid insurance !! kinda risky eh.

Shop outside of LTD has no auto gear car. I rented a Toyota Vios from somebody there.

But failed.... Car back touched the post during parallel parking. Next Monday must go again.

The whole process is torturing, have to wait wait wait... And the rules harsh: during parking, can't use camera, can't check out of the window etc..... OMG! Maybe I need 3 or 4 times to pass, ha ha

I wonder what is the criteria who has to do this kind of tests?

I was there on 17th day to renew my thailicenses but since i did not had non-visa they considered me as a "new customer" and only temp licences available which i got bot no actual driving, not even years back when i got my first thai DL:s--ermm.gif

Shop outside of LTD has no auto gear car. I rented a Toyota Vios from somebody there.

But failed.... Car back touched the post during parallel parking. Next Monday must go again.

The whole process is torturing, have to wait wait wait... And the rules harsh: during parking, can't use camera, can't check out of the window etc..... OMG! Maybe I need 3 or 4 times to pass, ha ha

Are you a new driver with no license from your home country?

I don't mean to sound uncaring, but if you can't pass a Thai driving test (including parking using only mirrors) you shouldn't be on the road!

The main reason there are so many accidents in this country is due to the fact that licenses are given out like confetti.

Apart from that, the posters above have already advised on your best options should you wish to go through with the test.

Are you a new driver with no license from your home country?
The reason I asked the question, how do you expect to rent a car without a valid driver's license. If you have a home country driver's license you don't need to take the Thai behind the wheel test or the written test, only vision and physical reaction tests.

Susan I sympathise with you they have made getting a driving licence much more torturous than it used to be just a couple of years ago.

not that the tests are really much more difficult its just the bureaucratic hoops they make everyone jump through are worse now.

be aware that if you don't turn up at the right time or day they will turn you away and you'll have to wait for another appointment date. ( can be months )

There are always people willing to let you " borrow" their car for the driving test milling around the test center

but you have your own car just use it you'll be much more confident driving your own car than some one else's if your worried about driving without a licence you could ask a friend to drive you there ( in your car )

I have driving license of my home country for 10 years till now. But our horrible communist government embassy refuses to stamp on the DL !!!!!

I did not drive in Thailand until recently, in total 6 times or so. I admit my parking skill is not good, can't park without camera or checking out of the window...

Really hate the DL process. Must arrive there at 8 and test at 11:30, tons of time wasted .

If you go to some of the photocopying places directly outside the DLT gates

the people there will have an idea of how to use the "brown envelop " method ( maybe much more difficult than before )

There are also a couple of driving schools around Pattaya that can help with a "fast track" test. ( maybe brown envelope too )

I have driving license of my home country for 10 years till now. But our horrible communist government embassy refuses to stamp on the DL !!!!!

I did not drive in Thailand until recently, in total 6 times or so. I admit my parking skill is not good, can't park without camera or checking out of the window...

Really hate the DL process. Must arrive there at 8 and test at 11:30, tons of time wasted .

If your foreign license is still active you may not have a problem as you don't have take the driving test. If your foreign driver's license expired then you made a mistake by not using it to get your Thai DL. If you have to take the driver's test then get some pylons or sticks and practice parallel parking using your car. Use your car that you are familiar with and if you have a backup camera learn to parallel park without it. The Pattaya City Expats Club website provides information and assistance for expats like you.

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/living%20vehicles.html

As I mentioned before, our nasty evil disgusting embassy refused to stamp on the DL for its own people. (And the DLT is very strict about this, only a translation and notary office stamp is not enough )

Not only the xxx embassy in Thailand, but also the ones in US, CA, EU etc...Treats its own people like xxx

So our people overseas must make a new local DL..

And the process to get a Thai DL is very exhausting and time consuming and frustrating ...

Anyway, I try my luck tomorrow first.....

As I mentioned before, our nasty evil disgusting embassy refused to stamp on the DL for its own people. (And the DLT is very strict about this, only a translation and notary office stamp is not enough )

Not only the xxx embassy in Thailand, but also the ones in US, CA, EU etc...Treats its own people like xxx

So our people overseas must make a new local DL..

And the process to get a Thai DL is very exhausting and time consuming and frustrating ...

Anyway, I try my luck tomorrow first.....

When I got my Thai DL I simply took my California driver's license to the Pattaya Land Transportation Office early in the morning and I was holding my Thai DL by 11:00am. No need for International Driving Permit as my CAL is obviously in English. Very simple process although I did use the services provided by the PCEC. Once a month they take a group of expats to the Office and hold their hand as they go through the various steps.

Archived