Safe Taxis for Daughter

mangoman007

Hi

My 18 year old daughter will be an internship in Bangkok this summer and needs to get from our condo (Sukhumvit Soi 18) to the Rajademnern area area every weekday.

She will take the BTS to Piyathai and a taxi from there. I am looking for a safer taxi option than just hailing a random one-way each taxi day i.e. something that can be booked/tracked. Uber will be too $$ and Grab Taxi probably inconvenient (I have had zero luck with it). Any options/suggestions?

Or, any ideas on how/where to hire a reasonably priced private car from Sukhumvit each morning?

Thank you

I always tell people who have a concern about the taxi to call me or fake a call and say the Taxi number and where you are .....

it gives the driver notice that someone else knows.......

but really the air-co public bus is also good , the cheap non -airco buses are driven more by madmen , but still probably safe ,

I would be more scared of the motobike taxi guys who always seem in a hurry !

What makes an unknown private car driver any safer than an unknown taxi driver?

Book All Thai Taxis, call them, 02 018 9799, someone will speak English, you'll pay an extra 100 baht per journey for the booking but that's probably cheaper than a private car hire each day. Taxis don't come much better or more reliable than ATT, all GPS-ed and flashing their speed on a LED display on the roof for all to see. I've booked them a number of times myself and you could probably insist on a female driver every day for a regular booking.

I would try to find a driver that would agree to take your daughter each day...for a premium above the normal fare rate...

This could possibly give you great peace of mind...if you could make the right arrangement with a trustworthy driver...

If she is going to get a taxi have her call you and making sure the driver hears her, give you the taxi number and the drivers name. I used to do that with my daughter until I bought her a car.

Not many people will get funny when they know someone else knows their number and name.

A friend of mine who has a daughter that needs to take a taxi on a daily basis. He has her take a picture on her cell phone of the taxi and license number, and send it to him. Even if she was to fake taking the picture and sending it, I would think it would be a major deterrent for any ideas the driver may have.

I seriously doubt an 18 year old intern can logically afford taxi transportation to/from work and suspect living within means should be a priority - and public bus/BTS should provide a cheaper and safer alternative. Keep out of taxi due cost and personal security issues and off MC taxis for safety and she should be fine and may actually learn a financial lesson to help later in life.

UberX is mostly cheaper than a taxi and there is one more that offers female drivers for female passengers. Might be All Thai Taxi.

Correct, UberX is the way to go. Cheaper than normal taxi in Thailand. If the driver does not take the designated route, or if you daughter thinks the driver took a longer way, you can always report the driver and the company will give you partial refund. I've done this once and company was quick to respond. I'm guessing if you use it on a daily basis, you could probably ask the driver for his number and book him/her.

I seriously doubt an 18 year old intern can logically afford taxi transportation to/from work and suspect living within means should be a priority - and public bus/BTS should provide a cheaper and safer alternative. Keep out of taxi due cost and personal security issues and off MC taxis for safety and she should be fine and may actually learn a financial lesson to help later in life.

Your knowledge of the OP's financial circumstances clearly gives you an advantage answering the OP's question but assuming that you actually know nothing about her situation did it occur to you that it's more than likely her father who will be paying (for her safety)?

I seriously think that it is more than likely that her father doesn't need a lecture from you about his and his daughter's priorities nor suggestions on how to learn financial lessons for later in life.

That as it may be - but my advise was free of charge and it is up to him to use as he sees fit - being a forum this is about more than poster as others use it for information so even if our posts may not fit a specific individual they may well have meaning for some readers. All points of view should be accepted and welcome here.

Public bus type transportation/walking is safe (much safer than getting into a taxi) and what most people use if young woman.

My Burmese girl friend was raped in a THA taxi . Oh , Thai men don not do this .????????

Public bus type transportation/walking is safe (much safer than getting into a taxi) and what most people use if young woman.

My Burmese girl friend was raped in a THA taxi . Oh , Thai men don not do this .????????

Which is precisely why I am advising against using a Taxi for a young woman alone.

What makes an unknown private car driver any safer than an unknown taxi driver?

Book All Thai Taxis, call them, 02 018 9799, someone will speak English, you'll pay an extra 100 baht per journey for the booking but that's probably cheaper than a private car hire each day. Taxis don't come much better or more reliable than ATT, all GPS-ed and flashing their speed on a LED display on the roof for all to see. I've booked them a number of times myself and you could probably insist on a female driver every day for a regular booking.

Sure, a lesbian driver would be much better for your daughter

She can get off at ratchatewi and there will be other people there going to the same place she is and can share a ride. The same holds true in the opposite direction.

Also she can take the boat on saen saab, switch at pratu nam and take the second boat to the last stop. Its the a ten minute or so walk up ratchadamnern.

From phayathai station, she can walk west on aytthaya road to the bus stop and get #503.

Edited by taony

Uber because of the tracking, records kept by company and sent to you and as soon as ride starts you can share your location , progress , drivers name and more all in real time .

Also, Uber drivers have more at stake because they own their vehicle. So, they have more to lose from being caught comiting a crime.

How is asking for the father to post pictures of his daughter not creepy? especially when the purpose clearly is to evaluate how likely she is to be assaulted by a taxi driver based on her sex-appeal?

More creepy than this isn't easy.

How is asking for the father to post pictures of his daughter not creepy? especially when the purpose clearly is to evaluate how likely she is to be assaulted by a taxi driver based on her sex-appeal?

More creepy than this isn't easy.

It is creepy and inappropriate. Post and those quoting it removed.

We take a dim view on making inappropriate comments about other members' families. A repeat of the original offending post will result in a long suspension.