UPS never again then I guess

starky

Have always bought a lot of my clothes and particularly my shoes from OS. Being a size 12 EE I don't have much choice here in range or style so it's my little spoil. Have always copped the taxes as part of the cost of living in Thailand but this one takes the cake. Recently ordered 2 pair of Nike's from the states. With postage and the exchange rate they came in at a little over 8000 baht no drama. UPS man turns up today with a Tax bill for 3700 baht. <deleted>?? Nearly dropped off my perch that's close enough to 50%. Never been hit for that much before. In future I'll just do as the Thai does and take a shopping holiday to Singapore. Rant over :)

Training Shoes (import tariff 64.04) net anywhere between 30% and 100% of CIF value plus VAT @ 7%, 3,700 Baht isn't far off the mark :(

Does the receipt give a breakdown of the charges?

Check your customs rates here http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp works quite well but somewhat slow sometimes.

A good reason to avoid any of the couriers, regular, tracked post very often slips through with no duty, such is life I'm afraid.

That sounds about right to me. Taxes are high on imported stuff. I paid about 50% on my last purchase of imported shoes too (we have a similar foot size). I'm not sure how you'd save money by travelling to Singapore unless you're planning to go by bus and then intending to sleep in a cardboard box under a bridge. Peculiarly packets under a value of $100 seem to attract no tax at all.

That sounds about right to me. Taxes are high on imported stuff. I paid about 50% on my last purchase of imported shoes too (we have a similar foot size). I'm not sure how you'd save money by travelling to Singapore unless you're planning to go by bus and then intending to sleep in a cardboard box under a bridge. Peculiarly packets under a value of $100 seem to attract no tax at all.

Hahaha yeah I know I'm just having a bitch bit rough waking up to a hefty tax bill. Funnily enough up to now I only ever seemed to pay around 25-30% tax which as I said I was happy to cop. Up in the 40's is a bit steep though. The only thing that used to grate me is paying tax on the postage costs, if anything that's the rort. I'm sure after I've had my coffee and need new shoes again I'll be doing it all again. I'll try your system but I doubt I'll find shoes I like that come in under a hundred bucks ;)

Training Shoes (import tariff 64.04) net anywhere between 30% and 100% of CIF value plus VAT @ 7%, 3,700 Baht isn't far off the mark :(

Does the receipt give a breakdown of the charges?

Check your customs rates here http://igtf.customs.go.th/igtf/en/main_frame.jsp works quite well but somewhat slow sometimes.

A good reason to avoid any of the couriers, regular, tracked post very often slips through with no duty, such is life I'm afraid.

Thanks mate. Cheers. :)

Consider yourself lucky! A few years ago I ordered a wetsuit over the internet - and was charged 100% import duty....

I do agree though - if at all possible, avoid the big courier companies, unless the internet supplier makes it clear that the cost includes import duty.

I bought a part for my bike from a site in the US when UPS rocked up they wanted over 100% in tax! basically I told them to poke it and to keep the part which really screwed them and I was still getting calls off them about 6 months later with a much smaller tax bill, they still have the part or had to pay for it to go back to the US so I got a bit of pleasure out of it...

Try ordering from UK and ask them for Royal Mail tracked and signed.

Sometimes they charge as much as 7 baht on delivery. Yes 'seven'

Cheers I'll give it a go thanks for the tip

Try ordering from UK and ask them for Royal Mail tracked and signed.

Sometimes they charge as much as 7 baht on delivery. Yes 'seven'

Cheers I'll give it a go thanks for the tip

Just to add, I've had a few spares for my old motorbike sent Royal Mail T and S they were delivered to the house direct and no charges except the 7 baht. Usually I gave the guy a 20 baht note and he was happy with that.

One package delivered by guess who had 100% added. Never used them again.