Out of thailand with a return ticket to Thailand

Hi,

I will be flying out from DMK to Hong Kong, probably with Air Asia.

As usual for most countries i might have to show a ticket outside HK before checkin the flight.

Is it OK with airline staff if it is a ticket back to Thailand for 10 / 15 days after.

I ask because 10 years ago i did a round trip from BKK to Taipei with KLM and the KLM staff asked to see not only a ticket outside Taiwan but insisted to see my ticket back from Thailand to my home country.

For your return flight from HK to Bangkok you may be asked for a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days if you do not have a visa (or re-entry permit) to use for entry. The ticket can be a one way ticket to anywhere.

It seems KLM cheated you by wanting you to get a ticket home. It can be a ticket to anywhere,

On return to los it is likely that airline will want to see either a visa or reentry permit. Especially AA. If you don't have one of those they will want to see flight ticket out out of Thailand within 30 days of arriving in Thailand. For visa exempt.

You did not mention on what basis your currently in Thailand.

Hi sorry, i think i was not clear, i was speaking about the flight from BKK to HK.

I will buy a ticket out of thailand when i return from HK

Last time when i checkin for flight from BKK to Taipei with a return ticket BKK-Taipei, the airline staff wanted to see as well the ticket i will use to go out from thailand after returning from Taipei before letting me in.

Maybe they were just worried i will be stranded in taipei if no ticket out of thailand when go back from taipei to bkk, i don't know.

Just wanted to know if this is usual process or not.

I stay on an exemption visa at the moment.

Thanks

The airlines seem to want confirmation that you have a ticket out of Thailand by the last day of your permitted stay in LOS (according to your visa) before they will fly you back. I am not sure but the reason for this may be that, should you be refused re-entry to Thailand because of the lack of a ticket out before your visa expires, then the airline flying you to Thailand must bear the costs of returning you to where you came from.

I am just back from Japan and had exactly this experience at Osaka airport. My return to the UK is not for 6 weeks or so and I entered Thailand on a 30 day tourist visa. I had expected to be asked by Thai immigration to show a ticket out of LOS before the 30 days were up but was not.

The ticket out does not have to be an air ticket. To meet the requirements, I purchased online for less than 100 Baht a bus ticket from Hat Yai to Butterworth for a date less than 30 days after my arrival in Thailand and this satisfied the airline in Japan.

The airlines seem to want confirmation that you have a ticket out of Thailand by the last day of your permitted stay in LOS (according to your visa) before they will fly you back. I am not sure but the reason for this may be that, should you be refused re-entry to Thailand because of the lack of a ticket out before your visa expires, then the airline flying you to Thailand must bear the costs of returning you to where you came from.

I am just back from Japan and had exactly this experience at Osaka airport. My return to the UK is not for 6 weeks or so and I entered Thailand on a 30 day tourist visa. I had expected to be asked by Thai immigration to show a ticket out of LOS before the 30 days were up but was not.

The ticket out does not have to be an air ticket. To meet the requirements, I purchased online for less than 100 Baht a bus ticket from Hat Yai to Butterworth for a date less than 30 days after my arrival in Thailand and this satisfied the airline in Japan.

There are no 30 day tourist visas !

It is a requirement that those who enter Thailand with a "visa exempt entry" have an onward flight out of the country during that time. This requirement is often enforced by airlines as a condition of boarding. Bus, train or boat tickets are not usually acceptable evidence of onward travel

OP read johnatong post and take that advice.

You mentioned AA as possible carrier. I fly almost in out los every other week. They nearly always look in my pp for visa or reentry permit. You have been given good advice already. You could risk it and if refused boarding by airline then just online book cheapest flight out. Won't be cheap. Bus etc won't cut it

Ok thanks.

I will then show a ticket out of HK that is NOT a ticket back to Thailand when i will be checkin the flight ikn DMK.

My schedule is quite open except that i need to be in BKK on the 17th of june for an hospital appointment.

As HK looks like quite expensive for accomodation, i will probably not stay there for 2 week and a half anyway and try to visit an other country before heading back to BKK.

With regard to previous comments on my post, I apologise for my error. Of course I should have said entry via Tourist Visa Exemption.

My comments about onward travel confirmed with a bus ticket being acceptable are derived from this passage which I have lifted directly from the Thai Embassy London's Visa Exemption front page - 'Foreigners entering Thailand by any means under the Tourist Visa Exemption category are required at the port of entry to have proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of the arrival date (otherwise a tourist visa must be obtained)'

This seems clear enough to me but I am happy to be corrected.

After thinking about it, i start to feel a bit tired about spending 30-40€ in outward ticket i almost never use everytime i fly somewhere in SEA.

Except for Philippines, I never had to show this proof for other destinations.

I guess i will check tonight what are the cheap ticket to go out of HK without buying anything and book at the airport if the airline staff at Don Mueang give me any hassle...