Travelling with a large dog on Korean Air

T_Dog

Looking at taking our 30 kilogram dog with us to the USA on Korean Air from Chiang Mai to Seattle and worried about the ten hour lay over at Incheon. Does anyone have any experience in doing this to let us know if they allow contact with the dog during the lay over? 26 hours of travel time in a small approved travel crate without a relief walk seems a bit long for any animal.

What about quarantine regulations in the US ? I don't know what they are like there but, my daughter took a 20Kg dog and a cat back to the UK many years ago.

If I remember the dog was slightly sedated before the flight. The flight went ok.

The quarantine, she was lucky it was relatively near her home.

The center also had grassed running spaces for the dogs.

The facility also allowed the dog and cat to stay together to reduce the mental stress - this is I think, from an animal behaviourists point of view, can be vital for all aspects of health during the long quarantine period.

If quarantine is 6 months as in the UK "cage fever" is something I would be concerned about.

You mention Incheon as a stop over, what about the time spent in Bangkok ( I assume you can't fly from Chiang Mai to Incheon direct ) ?

As for the stop over period I would suggest you contact Korean Air direct to get their advice.

Good journey to you all.

...just waltz passed the boarding gate with your dog---claim it is a "....special needs dog---your therapy doggie...."

The airlines will bend over backwards and upgrade all you to first class, gratis. This works ONLY if you are an American

white female. Bring up the terms "class action lawsuit" and "discrimination" and you will be handled with kid gloves!

From OP: Looking at taking our 30 kilogram dog with us to the USA on Korean Air

Weight Limits : (combined weight of animal and carrier) 5 kg or less as a carry-on, between 5 and 32 kg in the cargo compartment. Your pet should be transported by freighter if the weight is over 32kg

More at https://www.koreanair.com/content/koreanair/global/en/traveling/services.html#pets

For a large dog the crate itself could weigh up to 10 kg:

http://www.pettravelstore.com/pet-crates/

/

Still looking for travelers that have actual experience going through Korea with a dog.

Well maybe you'll get your wish but according to the Korean Air website your dog exceeds their weight specifications so maybe you should contact them directly as quite possibly nobody has ever transported a dog of your specs.

Archived