Tourist Visa for 9 yr old Step Daughter (UK)

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of help we are looking to bring my wife daughter who is 9 years old over to the UK next year for extended holiday (5/6 months). I've struggled to find any good guidance on the documentation needed for this. Most of what I find is archived since the Child visa were replaced. Anyone point me in the right direction?

Two area of concern -

Is a visa for this length of time possible?

Do you need to prove a reason for return?

Many Thanks

All visitor visas are issued with a 6 month duration.

A reason for return MUST be demonstrated.

Expect difficulties in persuading the ECO that only a "visit" is intended.

Do children in Thailand enjoy 6 month school holiday breaks ?

Thanks for the reply johnatong -

I guess it would be difficult for any 9 year old (coming to stay with their mum) difficult to prove a reason for return - The only reasons I can think of are

i) If we attended for her to stay in the UK we would applied at the time my wife came over however we believed it was her in best interest to stay in Thailand.

ii) We have just built a house in Thailand (finished last week) in my wifes name. My wife will be moving back to Thailand in 2 years when her current FLR runs out with me joining them 18 months later.

iii) My wife also has a 12 year son who lives with the grandpartents (along with her Daugther) who will be remaining in Thailand.

Is it likely any of the above could be used as a reason to return?

The school question is a main area of concern - We have spoken to the her school in Thailand who have advised they would give her set work to be carried out whilst she was away and would be available via email for any additional work (naturally we are still be paying the school fees). However,I can see this as an area of concern and perhaps a trip for a period of a school holiday may be more prudent.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply johnatong -

I guess it would be difficult for any 9 year old (coming to stay with their mum) difficult to prove a reason for return - The only reasons I can think of are

i) If we attended for her to stay in the UK we would applied at the time my wife came over however we believed it was her in best interest to stay in Thailand.

ii) We have just built a house in Thailand (finished last week) in my wifes name. My wife will be moving back to Thailand in 2 years when her current FLR runs out with me joining them 18 months later.

iii) My wife also has a 12 year son who lives with the grandpartents (along with her Daugther) who will be remaining in Thailand.

Is it likely any of the above could be used as a reason to return?

The school question is a main area of concern - We have spoken to the her school in Thailand who have advised they would give her set work to be carried out whilst she was away and would be available via email for any additional work (naturally we are still be paying the school fees). However,I can see this as an area of concern and perhaps a trip for a period of a school holiday may be more prudent.

Thanks

There are others here with vastly more knowledge/experience of these matters than I.

I believe you will experience great difficulty in persuading an ECO but suggest you wait for other opinions.

I think johnatong has hit the nail firmly on the head by highlighting the difficulties you and your wife are going to face when trying to convince the Entry Clearance Officer that your step daughter is a genuine visitor for a proposed holiday for the extended length you suggest.

The ECO is not going to try and second guess the reasons for the trip, they certainly wouldn't be thinking that if you'd wanted your step daughter to live in the UK then you would have applied at the same time as your wife applied for settlement.

As johnatong rightly points out, you would need to take into account the child's schooling, I believe, only believe I don't know for sure, a child of school age staying in the UK for an extended period has to attend school, that might lead to a further complication whereby those on a Standard Visit Visa can only study for up to 30 days. The issue of schooling is outside my comfort level, so you might want to seek professional advice.

I doubt very much that an ECO would consider your plans for the future as solid reasons to return and nor would the sibling current living with grandparents.

Thinking outside of the box I'm wondering if your wife is, not unreasonably, missing her daughter and wants to spend some time with her. The ECO would be considering what's best for the child, I doubt very much that a holiday of that length would be.

I think your alternative suggestion of a trip during the school holidays is far more likely to succeed, but I think you know that.

You mention that your wife and you will be returning to Thailand at the conclusion of her FLR, I'm assuming she doesn't want to go for ILR and then citizenship, a British passport would be worth its weight in gold, once she's got it future trips would be so much easier.

As a parent it is a requirement that a child of 9yrs gets a full time education. I doubt they will accept home schooling as acceptable but possibly finding a place at a private school for that time might be another option. This would mean applying for a Tier 4 (child) student visa.

I don't have much of a clue regarding Tier 4 visas but it might work if you have deep pockets and a cooperative independent school!

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments as always much appreciated - I've had a chat with the wife and we will look for a shorter time (a month).....Still leaves me the headache of a "Reason to Return"...think I may have to bite the bullet and see an immigration lawyer.

theoldgit - I would like persuade my site to go for ILR/Citzenship as you never know what the future may hold...However, she as always struggled with English as is still really at the A1 stage (not helped in part with working with Thais)....I'll keep working on it thou.