Another Showdown as Tiger Temple Blocks 1,000 Wildlife Officers

webfact

1000 wildlife officers !!!! Blimey!

I heard there are about 5000 generals in the Thai army.

It's commonly believed that the Thai Army of 190,000 soldiers has more generals than the US Army of 507,000 soldiers. I used to know the numbers but can't find them now.

Many army generals appear to be unusually rich, and there are persistent allegations of corruption and racketeering, but they are considered untouchable by civilian governments - their reason for this is likely found in their name - the same as the police.

I should redo the numbers really... some of them are interesting, like how many Air Force planes crash and that sort of thing. No real surprises for Thai watchers, but interesting none-the-less.

W

I think the relative figure is that the Thai army has more generals per soldier than any other amy in the world. Most of them are without portfolio.

Edited by cumgranosalum

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's commonly believed that the Thai Army of 190,000 soldiers has more generals than the US Army of 507,000 soldiers. I used to know the numbers but can't find them now.

Many army generals appear to be unusually rich, and there are persistent allegations of corruption and racketeering, but they are considered untouchable by civilian governments - their reason for this is likely found in their name - the same as the police.

I should redo the numbers really... some of them are interesting, like how many Air Force planes crash and that sort of thing. No real surprises for Thai watchers, but interesting none-the-less.

W

I think the relative figure is that the Thai army has more generals per soldier than any other amy in the world. Most of them are without portfolio.

Most of them are without anything very useful.

W

Edited by Winniedapu

W

Most of them are without anything very useful.

W

That was the implication.

W

Close, second only to Cambodia

ame - the same as the police.

W

Have a look at this - particularly disturbing when you consider the Army's role in Thailand.\

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/12/economist-explains-2

W

probably most of them bought their title. Nice income for who?

Have a look at this - particularly disturbing when you consider the Army's role in Thailand.\

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/12/economist-explains-2

and the absolute head

Back on topic, 20 tigers out now. Heat's paused the operation until 4 pm after which more tigers to be removed.

I would say, those who are wondering if the same fate may befall these cats at their new location didn't have Edwin Wiek overseeing their welfare and what happens to them up until now. Well done Edwin thumbsup.gif

Crapfest really. They had the Tigers and the desire of people to pay to see them. But greed got in the way......once again. I liked reading about how those holy men had let some of the tigers out to roam freely so intimidate the wild life officers And.....that hundreds of officers had to sleep there to ensure the animals saftey.....wow....

Referring to someones post about the Thai generals not being useful. They must have been useful at sometime in their careers as they all have got chests full of campaign medals as in fact, so do those brave veterans in the RTP There must have been something big going on in recent Thai military history. gigglem.gif

Referring to someones post about the Thai generals not being useful. They must have been useful at sometime in their careers as they all have got chests full of campaign medals as in fact, so do those brave veterans in the RTP There must have been something big going on in recent Thai military history. gigglem.gif

offtopic.gif

Quoting Wikipedia The Thai military has 273,000 personnel with a General count of 600 and The Cambodia Military has 1.200 Generals with a military count of 125,000 on active duty and 200,000 in reserve. Cambodia has just recently approved 29 lt. Generals to be promoted to four star Generals.

If the place has always been operating illegally it should have been closed down many years ago. The fact that it was not closed down means that it was given de facto dispensation to continue - or at least opened the door to that long-term interpretation. The monks presumably thought they were a special case.

Given that the authorities' dithering is to blame for this mess, the place should be given a license to continue on a legitimate footing as a zoo - at least on a trial basis. If properly managed and regulated, the place can be a unique site of interest.

I don't see any moral problem in the zoo being used for fund-raising purposes - certainly no more immoral than having to pay £10 to go in York Minster.

If the place has always been operating illegally it should have been closed down many years ago. The fact that it was not closed down means that it was given de facto dispensation to continue - or at least opened the door to that long-term interpretation. The monks presumably thought they were a special case.

Given that the authorities' dithering is to blame for this mess, the place should be given a license to continue on a legitimate footing as a zoo - at least on a trial basis. If properly managed and regulated, the place can be a unique site of interest.

I don't see any moral problem in the zoo being used for fund-raising purposes - certainly no more immoral than having to pay £10 to go in York Minster.

It has been shown quite clearly that the zoo was run incorrectly on several fronts - including housing and diet and treatment of the animals....It seems that any regime change at the place is not possible so the animals have to be removed.......in the end Thailand has to tow the line on international standards and agreements they have signed up to....so allowing this place to continue as is is not really an option....

as for a trial basis - they have had over a decade of monitoring and advice which they have systematically rejected - so I con't see them changing their ways now.

quite apart from the keeping/breeding and welfare of these animals this is a major conservation problem and allowing the place to continue would just make it exponentially worse.

It has been shown quite clearly that the zoo was run incorrectly on several fronts - including housing and diet and treatment of the animals....It seems that any regime change at the place is not possible so the animals have to be removed.......in the end Thailand has to tow the line on international standards and agreements they have signed up to....so allowing this place to continue as is is not really an option....

as for a trial basis - they have had over a decade of monitoring and advice which they have systematically rejected - so I con't see them changing their ways now.

quite apart from the keeping/breeding and welfare of these animals this is a major conservation problem and allowing the place to continue would just make it exponentially worse.

If you have more solid information on that than I have seen, then I stand corrected. However, there is a lot of misinformation around (including the popular but unsupported allegations of sedation) and all the real criticism I have seen relates to the trafficking issue.

The Tiger Temple is evidently being made an example of, but that's a pity. As I said, it's a unique place, and properly managed could be a real asset to Thailand, and yes, to Buddhism, which incorporates compassion for animals. It just needs regulating.

I read somewhere that there are 88 places in Thailand licensed to keep tigers. In theory, each individual animal is in a database, but the authorities are perfectly aware that some places cheat the system by, for example, not reporting all tiger cub births. I'm more worried about all the other tiger collections that are under the radar and I fail to understand why this kind of regulation is so difficult to achieve. I continue to blame the authorities entirely.

The key thing is to get all these places managed properly, and the Tiger Temple could have been a high-profile example which they have now thrown away - baby and bath-water.

this is on WFFT's facebook a summary of events sop far....

https://www.facebook.com/WildlifeFriendsFoundation/?fref=ts

"Tiger Temple Update - This morning at 06:00AM the DNP will continue the sedation and moving of the tigers from the tiger temple. A total of 7 tigers were moved yesterday and have arrived around 8PM at the centre of the government. To make it very clear and in reply to many questions asked on this page; There were a total of 137 tigers (at least) at the temple yesterday, so still 130 need to be moved. The tigers that were on the loose yesterday have now either been caught and moved out of the temple or moved to a safe area.

WFFT is seriously concerned about the wellbeing of the tigers for the (near) future, and will monitor their progress. A meeting with Thai NGO’s with the authorities will take place in the coming week where WFFT will offer serious that will hopefully be accepted. A group of almost a dozen Thai NGO’s will work together to find the best solution possible with the authorities.

We would like to make it very clear that we fully support the movement of the tigers for the following reasons;

1. The tiger temple has been implicated in illegal wildlife trafficking, with enough evidence presented to be convicted. This is about at least 3 tigers that have been taken from the temple and sold to wildlife traders in Thailand and Laos to end up as Chinese Traditional Medicine. Furthermore the temple has purchased illegally several wildlife specimen such as hornbills, bears and jackals. The jackals were after confiscation in February 2015 hidden en moved out by temple staff from the temple to an undisclosed location, not found until this date.

2. The temple has refused to stop the breeding and did not allow anyone including government officials to enter the temple and check on the tigers at all over the last 2 months. This was needed as more intelligence on illegal activities was received.

3. The temple refused to stop the shows with tourists, and did not hand over 60 more tigers to the government even though they had earlier agreed to this to obtain a zoo permit.

4. The temple’s lawyer had filed a administrative court case to demand payment of 147,444,000 baht or 4,3 million US$ from the government for the “care” they provided over the last 14 years.

The coming weeks and months will be challenging, with the huge task to care for a total of 147 tigers on top of all already confiscated protected and endangered wildlife. Besides the practical issues of providing proper care and enough space to all these animals we still see also a huge challenge in the criminal investigation into the dealings of the temple regarding the trade in tiger(parts) and illegal possession of other protected wildlife.

Many people are asking why confiscate the tigers? We ask , Should the temple be allowed to continue abusing the tigers?, using them as 'cash cows' whether that be through photos with tourists or the buttering of them to sell their body. The answer in no, we fully support the Thai authorities in upholding the law and saving the tigers." WFFT

If you have more solid information on that than I have seen, then I stand corrected. However, there is a lot of misinformation around (including the popular but unsupported allegations of sedation) and all the real criticism I have seen relates to the trafficking issue.

The Tiger Temple is evidently being made an example of, but that's a pity. As I said, it's a unique place, and properly managed could be a real asset to Thailand, and yes, to Buddhism, which incorporates compassion for animals. It just needs regulating.

I read somewhere that there are 88 places in Thailand licensed to keep tigers. In theory, each individual animal is in a database, but the authorities are perfectly aware that some places cheat the system by, for example, not reporting all tiger cub births. I'm more worried about all the other tiger collections that are under the radar and I fail to understand why this kind of regulation is so difficult to achieve. I continue to blame the authorities entirely.

The key thing is to get all these places managed properly, and the Tiger Temple could have been a high-profile example which they have now thrown away - baby and bath-water.

How can the illegal breeding of tigers be any use at all?

please explain how you think this place was or could ever be "an asset".

It would appear you are not well informed on this.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Don't forget teachers, and all other government, office based, officials. How many readers really believe teachers, with their wings, on their chest, actually jumped from a plane...at a guess, I believe none.

The temple's caved and removing tigers progressing unhindered, at last. If anyone has any doubt as to the facts of these animals having been purposely bred, drugged and trafficked, I would suggest they do a little research before coming on here and showing their lamentable ignorance. Again, well done to Edwin Wiek and the team. #Gotiger smile.png

The word 'illegal', as I pointed out earlier, is arbitrary in Thailand. Remove that word, then see what argument you have left.

Breeding of tigers, as I also pointed out, takes place in many places in Thailand. Are you then going to outlaw the entire practice? Are you then going to outlaw zoos completely? You will find it impossible to be consistent on this issue.

At least they serve to maintain a captive population in the near-certain eventuality that this species becomes extinct in the wild. The Tiger Temple is apparently much-loved by its many visitors and has been for years. Like any zoo, it fosters both a sense of wonder and a degree of education. It is surely a significant fund-raiser for the monks and also attracts tourists to the country - as such it is a significant economic asset. It doesn't take much sensibility to find it touching to see Buddhist monks looking after animals, as enshrined in Buddhist scripture. It is also of course a highly picturesque place.

How is it that I have to explain these things to you when you seem to consider yourself uniquely informed on the topic?

The WFFT statement you provided early proves what I had always understood - the objection is entirely due of the trafficking issue, not at all concerning the manner in which the animals are kept. Therefore kindly keep to the issue and stop spreading misinformation. The WFFT would be better advised to promote proper administration of all such places (and not just in Thailand) rather than going on a high-profile crusade about this particular place.

You and many others have taken a visceral position in relation to the Tiger Temple so there is no arguing with you, despite that there is little guarantee the tigers will be better off wherever they are being moved to - the process has already surely been traumatic for them.

I am simply pointing out a more rational approach to dealing with the issue.

The word 'illegal', as I pointed out earlier, is arbitrary in Thailand. Remove that word, then see what argument you have left.

Breeding of tigers, as I also pointed out, takes place in many places in Thailand. Are you then going to outlaw the entire practice? Are you then going to outlaw zoos completely? You will find it impossible to be consistent on this issue.

At least they serve to maintain a captive population in the near-certain eventuality that this species becomes extinct in the wild. The Tiger Temple is apparently much-loved by its many visitors and has been for years. Like any zoo, it fosters both a sense of wonder and a degree of education. It is surely a significant fund-raiser for the monks and also attracts tourists to the country - as such it is a significant economic asset. It doesn't take much sensibility to find it touching to see Buddhist monks looking after animals, as enshrined in Buddhist scripture. It is also of course a highly picturesque place.

How is it that I have to explain these things to you when you seem to consider yourself uniquely informed on the topic?

The WFFT statement you provided early proves what I had always understood - the objection is entirely due of the trafficking issue, not at all concerning the manner in which the animals are kept. Therefore kindly keep to the issue and stop spreading misinformation. The WFFT would be better advised to promote proper administration of all such places (and not just in Thailand) rather than going on a high-profile crusade about this particular place.

You and many others have taken a visceral position in relation to the Tiger Temple so there is no arguing with you, despite that there is little guarantee the tigers will be better off wherever they are being moved to - the process has already surely been traumatic for them.

I am simply pointing out a more rational approach to dealing with the issue.

In this case the word "illegal" is quite clear

You need a licence to keep or breed tigers which the temple doesn't have - it was given permission to keep some of the tigers it already had if they STOPPED breeding about 8 years ago.

Furthermore the breeding program is illegal under the various international treaties of which Thailand is a signatory. Thailand is already in trouble with CITES and faces sanctions if further perceived to be failing to stop the trade in endangered species.

you also might look into how "proper" zoos find mates for animals they wish to breed and find out exactly WHY breeding occurs - you'll soon see that the temple does none of this.

you seem to be getting "illegal" and "enforced" confused

it also seems you are massively uninformed on the history of the temple and the various laws they have flouted as well as the quite concrete details of the failings in housing and welfare of the animals.

Please if you are going to post further get yourself up to speed on this topic - it has been running for over a decade and there is plenty of evidence out there....just do some proper research (As Said - I mean RESEARCH not search)

You appear to be one of these people who if they haven't got an argument think they are being clever by questioning what they erroneously perceive as evidence and then try to dichotomise the argument.

the truth is you really don't seem to know the first thing about the temple and your arguments are based on your own assumptions and prejudices.

They should dress up as Chinese tourists, roll up in a dozen large motor coaches, visibly display selfie sticks, buy entrance tickets, and then they're in. Herd the cats back onto the buses, what could go wrong.

Now for my solution to the Wat Dhammakaya stand-off...shave head, dress in white...

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

thanks for the real good laugh

....can't make this stuff up.....

...1000 officers....to do nothing in the end....???

the other week at my local sanaam kilaa, 7 (SEVEN!!) guys were rounded up to cut a low hanging twig from a tree... took them about an hour.

the foreman had to analyse the situation thoroughly first. pure drama to observe. clap2.gif cheesy.gif