Filling in Appendix2 VAF 4A Financial Requirement Form, UK Settlement Visa

Hi all. A couple of questions about filling in the dreaded VAF4A Appendix2 financial requirement form as part of a UK Settlement Visa application.

1) This form - is the December 2013 version the most up-to-date ?

2) It is printed off the 'net and filled in - is it then handed in at VFS along with the main printed-off VAF4A form filled in by the Applicant ?

3) If a Sponsor has a UK State pension (£6,500 a year), but also sufficient Cash Savings to meet the Minimum Financial Requirement in that way alone, would it still be wise to list the pension and therefore be in effect saying that the MFRequirement is met by a Combination of the two sources of funds ? I'm thinking this only because the state pension is a permanent, secure source of income until the bitter end, whereas Cash savings can disappear in a week by a normal transaction such as buying a property ?

4) If anyone has a link to a document (Guidance Notes ?) that explains the 'Categories' shown in this screen-shot, i'd be grateful - i don't understand the messy layout -

post-106175-0-71815700-1464590036_thumb.

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. If your cash savings are sufficient, just use them. Don't complicate matters. It doesn't matter if the funds are used after the visa is issued, apart from the fact that you might need them again in 2.5 years time to obtain Further Leave to Remain !

4. If you use cash savings only, then tick both boxes. Fill in Section 3F. Do complete the question about "source of funds", as this is a requirement in the rules. Your answer won't be questioned unless the ECO has reason to doubt what you say. The only guidance is at the end of the Appendix form (pages 14 - 18).

• Like 1

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. If your cash savings are sufficient, just use them. Don't complicate matters. It doesn't matter if the funds are used after the visa is issued, apart from the fact that you might need them again in 2.5 years time to obtain Further Leave to Remain !

4. If you use cash savings only, then tick both boxes. Fill in Section 3F. Do complete the question about "source of funds", as this is a requirement in the rules. Your answer won't be questioned unless the ECO has reason to doubt what you say. The only guidance is at the end of the Appendix form (pages 14 - 18).

Hi Tony M - thanks.

"Tick both boxes" - do you mean 'Complete part 3F' and 'Category D' ?

I remember in the past seeing a guidance about the meaning of all the Categories - now can't find it. The layout is a bit baffling - i mean what are 'B' and 'G' as opposed to 'A' and 'F' ?

Thanks for the reminder about 'Source of Funds' - luckily i've even still got the solicitor's letter and original bank statement from 2005 showing the payment of the proceeds of the sale of a house - and another set from last year.

So if i understand correctly - I tick 'Complete Part 3E', but i don't tick the box 'Category E' - 'Option you are relying on' ? But i do tick 'Complete Part 3F' and 'Category D' ?

Thanks.

Why do you want to complete Part 3E ? That is for sponsors who receive benefits. You need to tick "Cash savings - complete Part 3F", and tick Category D.

At question 3.74 tick Category D alone.

At 3.77 tick "yes".

The categories B, G, etc, don't apply to you. Don't worry about them.

Why do you want to complete Part 3E ? That is for sponsors who receive benefits. You need to tick "Cash savings - complete Part 3F", and tick Category D.

At 3.77 tick "yes".

Because 'Part 3E' is not just about Benefits, it says - 'Income from PENSION and permitted benefits'....i think that's me ! ;-) Yes ?

A little bit tricky - i think the answer to 3.73 is 'NO'. Then i move on to Category D in Part 3F as you say. Thanks.

At 3.77 tick "yes".

Because 'Part 3E' is not just about Benefits, it says - 'Income from PENSION and permitted benefits'....i think that's me ! ;-) Yes ?

A little bit tricky - i think the answer to 3.73 is 'NO'. Then i move on to Category D in Part 3F as you say. Thanks.

Yes, but, as I said, forget the pension income if your savings are above the required threshold. Leave it blank, and don't put anything in Part 3E. Only use Part 3F.

If you want to use your pension income, you can. It will bring down the savings requirement from 62,500 GBP to 46,250 GBP. I was just trying to simplify things ! If you do use it, then you will need to Part 3E also.

• Like 1

At 3.77 tick "yes".

Yes, but, as I said, forget the pension income if your savings are above the required threshold. Leave it blank, and don't put anything in Part 3E. Only use Part 3F.

If you want to use your pension income, you can. It will bring down the savings requirement from 62,500 GBP to 46,250 GBP. I was just trying to simplify things ! If you do use it, then you will need to Part 3E also.

Thanks Tony, i totally see your way of thinking, but i read it differently, which might be a mistake i fully admit.

I think the reason that section of the form is designed in the multiple columns way it is, is to make it possible to BOTH state all forms of income or assets, AND then indicate which are being used to meet the financial requirement. That's why there is that column of boxes 'Indicate which option you are relying on'. So i think it is totally ok to say yes, there is a pension being received, but then to NOT tick the 'option you are relying on' box next to the pension box. I think the section is 'Dual purpose', in providing for a list of all types of income or assets, as well as the indication of WHICH one from that list is being relied on for the financial requirement.

Thanks for making me look at this a lot closer !

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

At 3.77 tick "yes".

Thanks Tony, i totally see your way of thinking, but i read it differently, which might be a mistake i fully admit.

I think the reason that section of the form is designed in the multiple columns way it is, is to make it possible to BOTH state all forms of income or assets, AND then indicate which are being used to meet the financial requirement. That's why there is that column of boxes 'Indicate which option you are relying on'. So i think it is totally ok to say yes, there is a pension being received, but then to NOT tick the 'option you are relying on' box next to the pension box. I think the section is 'Dual purpose', in providing for a list of all types of income or assets, as well as the indication of WHICH one from that list is being relied on for the financial requirement.

Thanks for making me look at this a lot closer !

Yes, it's so easy to understand, isn't it ? I do wonder how many applicants and sponsors manage to complete these forms ( I mean no disrespect to anyone).

Edited by Tony M
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi guys! 

I found this a bit tricky. I am moving to UK have a job over the requirements here and one in the Uk meeting requirements too. I have selected:

"Income from salaried employment overseas (with job offer in the UK) - Complete part 3B 

But which of the pesky categories does that fall under? It's 3B so I assume checking the "Category B" box is correct? I read guidelines but didn't find them clear at all.

image.png.355ea84b0053a919baf221a637511654.png

15 hours ago, Guemlum said:

I thought the VAF4A Appendix2 had to be submitted to Sheffield with supporting documents?

Regards

Guemlum

We pulled out all the stops and paid for the fast track (priority) service and their 2,000THB scanning service too. Hopefully it comes back soon.