Ram hospital initial test

baywatch82

I don't understand why everytime I go to RAM hospital i need to have my weight, heigth and blood pressure checked. It is completely not related to why I am there.

And then of course I am charged for it. It appears on the bill as a nurse fee.

Can I refuse this service and ask to see doctor straight ?

I would imagine if you refused they would not accept you.

Once you are there, you are their responsibility.

I can understand your gripe with the weight and height issue, and when I go, I tell them my credentials, and they take my word for it, and do not bother actually measuring me.

Blood pressure is the important one, and it can change at anytime.

It is standard procedure in every hospital, and if it is excessively high or low, your life could be in danger.

I know of instances where people have gone for a routine doctor's consultation, for something that would appear not so important, and after the blood pressure test, they have been immediately admitted due to an unusually high or low reading.

These were in Government hospitals, so it would be unlikely they were admitted for financial gain.

Gosh, if the doctor ends up needing to prescribe some medication they need to know your weight to ensure the dosage is correct...they need to know your weight accurately and not just a person's estimate which will almost always be low (most everyone likes to lie about our weight). And its important to know a person's blood pressure for many medical reasons and that is key indicator a person current condition. It only takes minute to take you height, weight, and BP and that nurse's fee is still going to be there since they are doing other things related to your visit such as processing your paperwork, working with the doctor, etc. And if it's like my hospital the nurse's fee is only around Bt200 for a visit.

No you can not refuse it. Medical facilities around the world are obligated to keep a record of the patients health for numerous reasons; both medical and legal.

For the paltry charge, my nursing fee was 70 baht last week at RAM, why would you refuse it ?

Height and weight is no big deal unless you are obese or under weight but blood pressure is a very important factor in your health.

As Electified posted its on your record and can be tracked over time.

Even our Dentist likes to take a blood pressure reading,protecting us and them.

No you can not refuse it. Medical facilities around the world are obligated to keep a record of the patients health for numerous reasons; both medical and legal.

For the paltry charge, my nursing fee was 70 baht last week at RAM, why would you refuse it ?

Height and weight is no big deal unless you are obese or under weight but blood pressure is a very important factor in your health.

As Electified posted its on your record and can be tracked over time.

Even our Dentist likes to take a blood pressure reading,protecting us and them.

70 baht!! ......outrageous, to find out your vital signs are OK (or not).

Do you know how to make a formal complaint? laugh.png

I refused the height and weight at RAM once because they had taken it one hour before in another department. I kept telling the girl that my height and weight had not changed in that hour. She persisted, but I stood my ground. The doctor saw me.

Now that I think about it, I refused the height, weight, and blood pressure checks at McCormick hospital when I was there for a flu shot. There is no need for them. I check my blood pressure regularly at home, and though I have gained weight over the years, my height has not changed since I was 18.

This topic has come up before and contrary to what you think, they're not doing it to drive up the charges. They do it at the public hospitals too, for the Thai patients.

Did you folks come from countries where the doctors dived right in and started to do procedures without checking vital signs? I've really got to shake my head about what kind of places you must have come from and how fortunate you are to be here receiving first-rate medical care, at last.

And yes, I know of two instances where dentists refused to proceed with patients here in Thailand because their blood pressure was too high. I guess dentists in their home countries weren't so concerned and didn't give them referrals to get the problem addressed.

my height has not changed since I was 18.

It does for most of us

http://halls.md/chart/MenHeightWhite2.gif

Yes, and most men don't realize this or that they should have their bone density checked periodically once they get to be over age 65. Many older men have brittle bones and vitamin D and calcium deficiencies and don't realize it. They think this is a "female problem".

Gosh, if the doctor ends up needing to prescribe some medication they need to know your weight to ensure the dosage is correct...they need to know your weight accurately and not just a person's estimate which will almost always be low (most everyone likes to lie about our weight). And its important to know a person's blood pressure for many medical reasons and that is key indicator a person current condition. It only takes minute to take you height, weight, and BP and that nurse's fee is still going to be there since they are doing other things related to your visit such as processing your paperwork, working with the doctor, etc. And if it's like my hospital the nurse's fee is only around Bt200 for a visit.

Excellent explanation.

The doctor doesn't care what you think. He is there to do a job and that information may be crucial to what he needs to do.

I was wondering if the OP knew so much about what wasn't needed why did he go to a hospital?

It continues to amaze me the number of people who self diagnose themselves on Thai Visa.

You are not being charged specifically for these things.

What is written as "nursing charge" or something of that sort is a hospital fee, for use of the hospital facilities. (The consultation fee goes entirely to the doctor, who is a private contractor).

The word for "hospital" and "nurse" as essentially the same in the Thai language (technically, the word for hospital means "house of nurses/nursing, but they will often shorten it to just the nurse word). Hence the same charge will appear in some places as "hospital fee" and on others as "nursing fee".

It has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not your vital signs were measured nor with any other specifics of what happened to you on that visit. It is just a flat charge added on to every bill. All the private hospitals in Thailand started doing this a few years back. before that, they often made no money at all on some patient visits, i.e. if there were no meds or the patient (wisely) chose not to buy them at the hospital.

As to why vital signs and weioght etc are taken, ,it is standard practice in hospitals and clinics the world over, makes sure the information is available to the doctor in case he needs it and is far more efficient than having to interrupt a consultation to send the patient off to be weighed etc.

Weight and BMI are relevant to medication dosing. Also relevant to some medical problems.

Whether or not you have a fever, or an abnormal heart rate ,also relevant to many problems. In addition, should you collapse or otherwise go into distress while in the hospital it would be important to have a baseline of the vital signs you came in with.

Now that I think about it, I refused the height, weight, and blood pressure checks at McCormick hospital when I was there for a flu shot. There is no need for them. I check my blood pressure regularly at home, and though I have gained weight over the years, my height has not changed since I was 18.

I gained a cm today and the missus lost 2 and she doesn’t have many to loose!

It does for most of us

Yes, and most men don't realize this or that they should have their bone density checked periodically once they get to be over age 65. Many older men have brittle bones and vitamin D and calcium deficiencies and don't realize it. They think this is a "female problem".

Good point Nancy. I just read that Vitamin D has some thing to do with bone density. Vitamin D is in the sun light particularly the early morning I am told. I admit I don't get out like I used to and two months ago my Doctor did a test for Vitamin D and found out I was low on it. She also said it would help me get out and about a little more than I have been lately.

It is not a cheap test and from what I understand you have to get the Vitamin D on line. Not a problem with iHerb.

I can understand your gripe with the weight and height issue, and when I go, I tell them my credentials, and they take my word for it, and do not bother actually measuring me.

It is standard procedure in every hospital, and if it is excessively high or low, your life could be in danger.

I know of instances where people have gone for a routine doctor's consultation, for something that would appear not so important, and after the blood pressure test, they have been immediately admitted due to an unusually high or low reading.

These were in Government hospitals, so it would be unlikely they were admitted for financial gain.

And this is exactly why I don't want my blood pressure taken at the hospital. It's the biggest bs. Every time they take it is in 170 range. It seems like when they put a cuff on me I get extremely nervous and just coming from the outside hear sweating like a pig doesn't help.

I always insist to take it at the doctors office when I calm down and it drops to below 140. At home it's in mid 130 range.

I really hate this blood pressure nonsense.

My experience has always been that the blood pressure detected by the automatic cuff is quite high. When my cardioligist takes it in his office, it is always in the 120-130 range. During my last consultation, he told me not to worry about my blood pressure. I take my blood pressure medication religiously every evening. The Co-Diovan that I switched to recently seems much more effective and to have no side-effects that I am aware of. My previous med, Enalapril, was causing me to cough.

And this is exactly why I don't want my blood pressure taken at the hospital. It's the biggest bs. Every time they take it is in 170 range. It seems like when they put a cuff on me I get extremely nervous and just coming from the outside hear sweating like a pig doesn't help.

I always insist to take it at the doctors office when I calm down and it drops to below 140. At home it's in mid 130 range.

I really hate this blood pressure nonsense.

When I go my doctors office there is always a little wait. I never have to walk over 30 meters to get there so the hot and sweaty doesn't figure in. I am always held for about 5 minutes. If doing it myself I will wait 10 minutes. I believe it is a universally known fact in the medical profession that a patient will quite often have a higher pressure due to being nervous in the Doctors office. They make allowance for it. I would be a little bit concerned if my blood pressure jumped that high. I have been known to be at 160 on the free machines back in Canada but when I saw the doctor he always took my pressure the old fashioned way and it was OK. My experiance3 in the hospitals has varied some times as long as a 15 minute wait generally about 5 minutes the time I check in and get seated.

No big deal I refuse and they just smile. Your blood pressure changes all the time.

If you lie to your doctor about anything especially something so simple as your weight your deserve to get overdosed but unfortunately you'd probably just get too little medication.

It does for most of us

Good point Nancy. I just read that Vitamin D has some thing to do with bone density. Vitamin D is in the sun light particularly the early morning I am told. I admit I don't get out like I used to and two months ago my Doctor did a test for Vitamin D and found out I was low on it. She also said it would help me get out and about a little more than I have been lately.

It is not a cheap test and from what I understand you have to get the Vitamin D on line. Not a problem with iHerb.

Yes, the test for Vitamin D deficiency isn't cheap and it's difficult to get enough from sunlight as you get older, even if you're in the sun a lot.

You can purchase tablets with Calcium and added Vitamin D here fairly cheaply. I get them at Peera Pharmacy inside the Old City, across from Hotel M, the first pharmacy a few doors down the street from Black Canyon coffee. The lady pharmacist in there sure knows her stuff.

This morning I looked at several my very recent hospital receipts from Thonburi 2 Hospital here in Bangkok for outpatient visits for whatever minor ailment I had...the Nursing Charge was Bt100. Well, worth it as the nurses pamper me when at the hospital for a visit...I'm more than happy to let them take my weight, height, and BP combined with the paperwork, assistance to the doctor, and pampering they do. Money well spent.

Again,the "nursing charge" has nothing to do with any of those things. It is a hospital fee. If you had absolutely no contact with nursing personnel you'd still have to pay it.

As Sheryl says regarding "nursing charge".... the "ing" makes it a verb.... not a noun

pha yaa baan

to administer medical treatment, nurse or care for

Edited by hml367