Can a US Wireless router be brought into and used in Thailand? Also, VPN connections?

ocddave

I was thinking of purchasing a Linksys WRT1900ACS in the US and setting up and bringing it with me when I move to Thailand, will it work their, are the bandwidths used illegal in Thailand? I'm not sure if there are differences between the two countries, or should I be purchasing a unit locally in Thailand? I am still trying to decide on which service to use, but based on location in Bangkok, I might be forced to use True, and whatever speed I can get from them, I am hoping they offer enough speed/reliability for a pretty good connection back to my Sonicwall TZ215 VPN in the Eastern US (using the remote software utility).

they will work however there is one problem.

The wifi transmits on various channels. The channels that are allowed vary between countries because the frequency is sometimes allocated for other purposes. to be legal it is important that you manually set the channel of the wifi to a frequency not used for another purpose.

Out of the US probably means 110V power supply which is one hassle. The other is something goes wrong the local agent will probably not honor any warranty. Then frequencies etc.

Amazon US have them for US200, so a bit over 7,000 Baht. Lazada has them for 8,900 Baht with delivery within the week so will be local supply.

Based on my experience in bringing a unit from Australia that then died, I would say pay a bit more and buy locally.

Cheers

The US locks out channels 12, 13, 14, 15 (from memory, could be wrong) for government use, but those channels are available in Thailand.

I discovered this because of a related problem. I purchased a new router in Thailand but my laptop was purchased in the US. When I attempted to set up my new router, it would not see my home WiFi or any others nearby. I went nuts for a few days trying to figure out why this was happening. Turned out, my router had randomly assigned one of those channels restricted in the US as my default and my US purchased computer had those channels "Locked out" and could not see them. Simply changing the channel solved the problem.

Why all the hassle? They only cost like 1000 baht?!

Not this one. It's a not a cheapo thing but a top notch piece.

You see prices of more than 10000 Baht.

As it is "only" a WiFi router (no ADSL modem) I see no problem using it in Thailand.

The device has a low voltage DC input, so it will (very likely) be supplied with a universal (100 to 240V) AC adapter.

"Very likely": I could not find that in the datasheet so far. Maybe someone can confirm.

The pieces sold here clearly have a universal adapter as basically all such stuff has nowadays.

Power Supply 100-240V -50-60- Hz

And even in worst case it will be possible to find a suitable AC adapter in Thailand for little money.

So depending on the price (below 200 USD) it would be worth taking it here.

About TRUE ISP: knock on wood whistling.gif

Edited by KhunBENQ

Out of the US probably means 110V power supply which is one hassle. The other is something goes wrong the local agent will probably not honor any warranty. Then frequencies etc.

Amazon US have them for US200, so a bit over 7,000 Baht. Lazada has them for 8,900 Baht with delivery within the week so will be local supply.

Based on my experience in bringing a unit from Australia that then died, I would say pay a bit more and buy locally.

Cheers

Just look on the adapter and if it supports 110-220v 50/60Hz you're good to go.

It's not like PAL/NTSC, Wifi is pretty well 2.4/5Ghz the world over in most cases.

But you should be aware of the channel issues raised here if it is locked into/out of any particular channels.

Having said that, setting everything to Auto should work most of the time.

So if I get this right, the WRT1900ACS should be fine with all its channels, I would just be missing higher channels that are usable in foreign markets? Or are some of those lower channels illegal to operate on in Thailand? I also wonder if using OpenWRT would give me some of the those higher channels when I get there....hmmmm.

As for the VPNs yes they work but the mods get edgy about you discussing them.

wink.png

The VPN is strictly for connecting to my work, to fix any IT problems internally, not for what I guess most people on here are using them for wink.png

Had a spare one in the UK, decent mid range well known brand, so well known i can't remember it!!!!, anyway the gfs families gaff is large and got fed up with skype dropping out she wouldn't run a lan line around the house so sent her my spare one over and it worked fine, no dramas.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I ordered it anyway, hopefully it works, Linksys is selling it for $199 plus a free range extender (RE4100w), so worth buying it even if I don't bring it with me. I could always bring my trusty Linksys E4200v1 with me, and install the WRT1900ACS here in my home in the US, the E4200v1 also works with OpenWRT I believe. Thanks guys, still interested in the legality of US channels running in Thailand though, not trying to cause any trouble when I get there.

As for the VPNs yes they work but the mods get edgy about you discussing them.

wink.png

The VPN is strictly for connecting to my work, to fix any IT problems internally, not for what I guess most people on here are using them for wink.png

Secure banking?

I don't know how well this will format, but Juniper reckon this:

TH

Thailand

2.4Ghz: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

5Ghz: 36 40 44 48 52 56 60 64 100 104 108 112 116 120 124 128 132 136 140 149 153 157 161 165

Edited by Chicog