Today, at Chiang Mai Immigration

FolkGuitar

So I doubt all 15 on the queue today would have been seen by noon, least the question be asked about why they're limiting the quota to just 20 tickets per day.

There were two Japanese people ahead of us on line. One had a one-day overstay, so took a little longer, but not much. The number two applicant took less than 15 minutes. It took the Immigration officer about 20 minutes to process my application and my wife's, then another five-eight minutes to get us both photographed and have the information entered into the ledger books. Four of us in under an hour. So I guess you're correct. That would only be 12 people by noon. Three would have to come back after lunch.

My question is; why is there just one Immigration officer processing the paper work? There was one officer at each desk, processing 90-day reports, tourist visa extensions, and re-entry permits. Certainly Chiang Mai has more than four Immigration officers stationed here.

Well I think the answer to that is pretty obvious. If you go next door and shell out some sheckles the process flies. Wink wink

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I doubt all 15 on the queue today would have been seen by noon, least the question be asked about why they're limiting the quota to just 20 tickets per day.

There were two Japanese people ahead of us on line. One had a one-day overstay, so took a little longer, but not much. The number two applicant took less than 15 minutes. It took the Immigration officer about 20 minutes to process my application and my wife's, then another five-eight minutes to get us both photographed and have the information entered into the ledger books. Four of us in under an hour. So I guess you're correct. That would only be 12 people by noon. Three would have to come back after lunch.

My question is; why is there just one Immigration officer processing the paper work? There was one officer at each desk, processing 90-day reports, tourist visa extensions, and re-entry permits. Certainly Chiang Mai has more than four Immigration officers stationed here.

And the answer is: They want you to use their in-house visa agency and charge you twice.

Right answer give that man a ceegar.

AssistThai Visa for 1,500 baht for four 90 reports. Soon after they moved part of immigration to the the zoo, I went into AssistThai Visa and asked their fees. I was quoted 1000 baht for 4, 90 day reports. The lady gave me a price list and I`m looking for that now, but not sure if I kept it. That`s a 50% increase in under a year. Wonder what it will be by next year, 2000 baht maybe?

Waiting time at the airport office was 45 mins for marriage last Wednesday. Came 6 and got the number at 6:45. Been called after lunch and through at 3pm. Not too bad.

You arrived there at 6.00 am and were done at 3. 00pm. 9 hours and you think that`s not too bad. Are you trying to kid yourself or us?

Put it in an registered envelope, with return 3B enough (otherwise someone needs to be at home to sign for it). Cost less than 50B per round with both ways registered. Why would you feed greedy agents?

Waiting time at the airport office was 45 mins for marriage last Wednesday. Came 6 and got the number at 6:45. Been called after lunch and through at 3pm. Not too bad.

You arrived there at 6.00 am and were done at 3. 00pm. 9 hours and you think that`s not too bad. Are you trying to kid yourself or us?

Drove back home, had a 2h sleep, went back before lunch because the number girl said "maybe" before lunch, had then Khao Soi with madame and returned at 13:00, where they needed another 20 mins to finish and return to work. So overall damage was not too bad. Any agent could not have done it differently as you still have to appear in person.

For the last couple of years I have done 90-day by post or, like last time, on-line (except the one before last that for one reason or another didn't come off). My solution for that one was to turn up at Promenada immigration at gone 3pm, when all the early birds and panic-merchants have been and gone, and the result was in-an-out in 10 minutes. For those that are paying attention, don't try this yourself, as it will only spoil it for me if I ever am so disorganised again as to have to go to immigration for 90-day.

It's good to see that using a 'ringer' might work. I'll bear that in mind for next year's 1 year visa. Maybe by then we won't even have to employ a ringer, we can just put our towel over the seat. If that were the case, I could do mine at 1am, on the way home from work (You know who you are guys - yes, I do have a work permit) !!

That always used to be my trick for 90 days. However this does not always work now and I suggest that you may have been lucky. I have turned up at 3 pm before and been told that all the tickets were gone and that I had to come back the next day.

If that is the case, it sounds like my being more organised may be the only alternative left. Failing that, I can see the situation arising where I may have to rise before noon.

To each their own. I have never had to wait more than an hour and a half and that was at the airport. I generally go in about 10:00 in the morning. If I went in there at 3:00 and was told to come back tomorrow I would probably go next door give them 300 baht and be done with it.

What I find interesting is the fact that the OP only needed 1 queue number for two people. Also Nancy didn't say it but kind of hinted that there were people in the line ahead of her getting more than one queue number.

And the answer is: They want you to use their in-house visa agency and charge you twice.

Exactly, its all about money,and that's why it's never going to change for the better.

regards worgeordie

Yes there may or may not be money in it for them.

What I find strange is that the problem is they are understaffed and it is not them that do the hiring.

I get a kick out of all the people who think they are doing it on purpose to force people to go to the agencies. That would be a very good reason if it was up to them as to how many to hire and if they were the ones doing the hiring.

The fact is it is Bangkok where the decisions are made and the hiring done.

Several years ago the director who was getting ready to retire said Bangkok had allocated enough money to hire 15 more staff. The thing was that Bangkok be the ones that do the hiring.

Not saying who is at fault but being as to the best of my knowledge Chiang Mai is the only office in Thailand facing these problems and it has been the same under at least two directors there is more to it than the people you see in the office here in Chiang Mai.

I am quite sure that Immigration in Bangkok is well aware of what is going on. Unless they do some thing about it the problem will just get worse as people keep moving to Chiang Mai for one reason or another.'

edit

If Bangkok had nothing to do with it seems to me we would be hearing from other areas where they were getting the same run around.

Just a thought.

Edited by northernjohn

Well I think the answer to that is pretty obvious. If you go next door and shell out some sheckles the process flies. Wink wink

Could it really have flown any faster? We got there at 8:30 and were already back home by 10:00 No need to go next door.

AssistThai Visa for 1,500 baht for four 90 reports. Soon after they moved part of immigration to the the zoo, I went into AssistThai Visa and asked their fees. I was quoted 1000 baht for 4, 90 day reports. The lady gave me a price list and I`m looking for that now, but not sure if I kept it. That`s a 50% increase in under a year. Wonder what it will be by next year, 2000 baht maybe?

Assist Thai Visa has always had two prices; 1500 baht for four 90-day reports with no other service, or let them process your application for 5000 baht and then it only costs 1000 for four 90-day reports. These were the fees that I paid three years ago for full service, and last year for only the 90-day report service. From now on I'll use the mails for the 90-day report, chosing EMS for 70 baht with a tracking number. My only reason for using an agent three years ago was because I didn't want to sit on line for several hours in the dark, then wait around all day. Those days are gone now. I can handle waiting an hour.

What I find interesting is the fact that the OP only needed 1 queue number for two people. Also Nancy didn't say it but kind of hinted that there were people in the line ahead of her getting more than one queue number.

Reading skills, NorthernJohn... I never said that we only needed 1 queue number. In fact, to quote my original post; "The 'stander' got there at 4am and secured seats 3 and 4." We had queue numbers 3 and 4 for two people. Two numbers, two people. What WAS surprising was that the Immigration officer processed us together. Acording to the line-stander, you get one number per passport/documents. She had our two, and so was given two numbers.

What I find strange is that the problem is they are understaffed and it is not them that do the hiring.

I get a kick out of all the people who think they are doing it on purpose to force people to go to the agencies. That would be a very good reason if it was up to them as to how many to hire and if they were the ones doing the hiring.

Several years ago the director who was getting ready to retire said Bangkok had allocated enough money to hire 15 more staff. The thing was that Bangkok be the ones that do the hiring.

Not saying who is at fault but being as to the best of my knowledge Chiang Mai is the only office in Thailand facing these problems and it has been the same under at least two directors there is more to it than the people you see in the office here in Chiang Mai.

I am quite sure that Immigration in Bangkok is well aware of what is going on. Unless they do some thing about it the problem will just get worse as people keep moving to Chiang Mai for one reason or another.'

edit

If Bangkok had nothing to do with it seems to me we would be hearing from other areas where they were getting the same run around.

Just a thought.

Same as what you are saying. I don`t believe this is a set up just to push us to use agencies. The Chiang Mai immigration was with no doubts struggling to provide a reasonable service that is becoming more and more under stress each year for reasons we already know about and that it`s fact they are not or cannot provide enough slots per day to cover everybody.

Here lies the problems. Although the officers are always polite, they don`t really care who gets a slot or who doesn`t. They have set quotas and even with the extra work load they will not work at a faster pace. This means the problem is passed on to us, so the only alternatives for the people that prefer not to suffer all the trauma at immigration or maybe too old or frail for the endurance is to use an agent. I think because the agency alternatives are there, Bangkok will think, great it`s working so we won`t bung anymore resources into it.

For the agencies this situation has become a bonanza similar to when the condom companies were on there way out due to the invention of the pill and then HIV and aids appeared on the scene that saved their day, made them richer than ever. Everyone knows there are a lot of people making a lot of money out of the situation even if it is perfectly above board. So while this system is in place meaning Bangkok does not have to increase it`s budget to Chiang Mai, the staff at Chiang Mai don`t have to work any harder and there are those creaming it off from the top of the cake, then I can`t see this system ever changing, because there are more incentives to continue on this way rather then go the other route and provide more resources to immigration. The most worrying thing is that if the situation does become worse and more people have to use agencies to prolong their stay in paradise, then the agencies will be in a position where they can charge whatever they darn well like.

Edited by cyberfarang

I am aghast at reading this bullshit. Just go and live in another country, I know it is not easy for some of you because you have locked yourselves into dominated domesticity. But for those of you who have freedom to move about get out of this wretched country. I have moved permanently to Vietnam and have never regretted doing so.

How did you go about getting a visa there?My understanding is Vietnam does not offer retirement visas.

I was at Imm. Prom on Thursday to get a re-entry permit and they're now down to using just one officer to process retirement extensions and back to passing out just 20 queue cards per day. That day he stopped at No. 10 for his lunch break. It seemed like he was going VERY slow with the morning group. Some Japanese retirees (6 or 7) had hired a line sitter to come early and they showed up early to take the line sitters place. The Imm. officer was very methodical with them, taking over an hour in processing the application for one couple. A retired man and wife with dependent status.

10 less tickets per day equals a big bump in income for certain parties, must have been suffering at 30 a day, but we are not going to change anything, that is obvious by now.

Supposedly there are 10,000 farang in Chiang Mai. I know there are a lot here in Phuket including many tourists looking for extensions. But doing the 90 day report takes me ten minutes total.....the time in line takes most of that ten minutes, the actually time with the officer is less than two minutes. I usually arrive at 2pm and it is a breeze. There is something seriously wrong in Chiang Mai if you are there at 3 or 4am for extensions. We also have farang working or volunteering here to assist us with sorting out the many confusions we might have with forms etc. Everybody likes to bag on Phuket, but we seem to have the cutting edge on Immigration here.

Supposedly there are 10,000 farang in Chiang Mai. I know there are a lot here in Phuket including many tourists looking for extensions. But doing the 90 day report takes me ten minutes total.....the time in line takes most of that ten minutes, the actually time with the officer is less than two minutes. I usually arrive at 2pm and it is a breeze. There is something seriously wrong in Chiang Mai if you are there at 3 or 4am for extensions. We also have farang working or volunteering here to assist us with sorting out the many confusions we might have with forms etc. Everybody likes to bag on Phuket, but we seem to have the cutting edge on Immigration here.

Yes, it is a major clustef-- k here in ChiangMai and it appears we are alone in this based on reports from people like yourself from other regions?

The problems and the causes are known and attempts to address them have fallen on generally deaf ears despite efforts from the community to try to address the situation.

Folkguitar, was that Promenada or Airport? Good to know that there wasn't a huge queue, the problem is that NO ONE KNOWS! it could be 10 in the line or 100 so it still inconveniences everyone by having to get a stand in or queue in the middle of the night. Why can these fools not bring back Queue Online or a telephone booking system? I am sure they enjoy making things as difficult as they can for us.

I sat in the freezing cold in February at Airport from 1:00 AM on a stool in the middle of the carpark all bloody night last year to make sure I was in the queue, absolute hell, their turned out to be about 18 queueing in my extension class by 7:30 AM.

You got there at 1:00 A.M.?????? Is this for real? I would have come at 9:00 and been out of there at the same time as you!

It's 1500 if you walk in & only want them to do the 90 day reports.....I believe they do as many needed for the years cycle - at least they have for me.....

If you use them for any other services it's reduced to 1000 per year for that year's cycle.....

To me it's worth the 200-250b because it's an easier drive & parking no time waste or hassles.....

Either way I'd spend that much when you figure driving, waiting, & kicking around Promenada.....

Especially if the wife tags along & wanders around while waiting for 1-5 hours.....

and a delicious burger from Steak of the Day was 99 Bath a year ago or so, now it's 150 or 159. stuff goes up...get used to it.

I am aghast at reading this bullshit. Just go and live in another country, I know it is not easy for some of you because you have locked yourselves into dominated domesticity. But for those of you who have freedom to move about get out of this wretched country. I have moved permanently to Vietnam and have never regretted doing so.

I am sorry, what is the difference between "moved permanently" and "locked yourselves" ?

It's 1500 if you walk in & only want them to do the 90 day reports.....I believe they do as many needed for the years cycle - at least they have for me.....

If you use them for any other services it's reduced to 1000 per year for that year's cycle.....

To me it's worth the 200-250b because it's an easier drive & parking no time waste or hassles.....

Either way I'd spend that much when you figure driving, waiting, & kicking around Promenada.....

Especially if the wife tags along & wanders around while waiting for 1-5 hours.....

I used AssistThai visa last December to switch my tourist visa to a non-o then to the retirement visa.When it came to the 90 day reporting , the first being March, they wanted to charge me 1500Baht for FOUR 90 day reportings. I used them for the entire retirement visa process and they wanted 1500...or 500 per 90 day rep. So according to what you are saying they're ripping me off.

Im sure Rhys or one of collegues will be along soon to sort this one out....personally Ive only ever paid ATV 1000 baht for the 90 day service, and that was added to the bill when they processed my yearly extension.

Its the first Ive heard of a 2 tier system from ATV, but then I dont read a lot of blurp off their website.

edit

Just a thought.

Same as what you are saying. I don`t believe this is a set up just to push us to use agencies. The Chiang Mai immigration was with no doubts struggling to provide a reasonable service that is becoming more and more under stress each year for reasons we already know about and that it`s fact they are not or cannot provide enough slots per day to cover everybody.

Here lies the problems. Although the officers are always polite, they don`t really care who gets a slot or who doesn`t. They have set quotas and even with the extra work load they will not work at a faster pace. This means the problem is passed on to us, so the only alternatives for the people that prefer not to suffer all the trauma at immigration or maybe too old or frail for the endurance is to use an agent. I think because the agency alternatives are there, Bangkok will think, great it`s working so we won`t bung anymore resources into it.

For the agencies this situation has become a bonanza similar to when the condom companies were on there way out due to the invention of the pill and then HIV and aids appeared on the scene that saved their day, made them richer than ever. Everyone knows there are a lot of people making a lot of money out of the situation even if it is perfectly above board. So while this system is in place meaning Bangkok does not have to increase it`s budget to Chiang Mai, the staff at Chiang Mai don`t have to work any harder and there are those creaming it off from the top of the cake, then I can`t see this system ever changing, because there are more incentives to continue on this way rather then go the other route and provide more resources to immigration. The most worrying thing is that if the situation does become worse and more people have to use agencies to prolong their stay in paradise, then the agencies will be in a position where they can charge whatever they darn well like.

I like what you say but I would also like to look at the fact that the staff is just worn out with the constant over load and having to put up with people ill prepared. I am quite sure that if they had a thread of their own it would put us in as negative a light as we put them. Remember they have to put up with it every day of the working year. We only have to put up with it once a year and look at the way we carry on.

Your idea that we are causing the problem are selves by using the agencies has some merit. If we stopped using them and every one did theirs in person Bangkok would not think the system is working.

Im sure Rhys or one of collegues will be along soon to sort this one out....personally Ive only ever paid ATV 1000 baht for the 90 day service, and that was added to the bill when they processed my yearly extension.

Its the first Ive heard of a 2 tier system from ATV, but then I dont read a lot of blurp off their website.

Yes the current fee is 1000 baht for 4 reports. If you only wish to have 1 report done the fee is 500 baht. The price was increased to 1500 baht due to the barcode system being issued. Once this was cancelled the price went back to 1000 for 4 reports. We have not ever ripped anyone off. We charged based on the work under taken. We also believe 1000 baht for 4 reports, including notifying every client of when there report is due to avoid the 2000 baht fine is good value for money. I hope this clears up any confusion

edit

Just a thought.

I like what you say but I would also like to look at the fact that the staff is just worn out with the constant over load and having to put up with people ill prepared. I am quite sure that if they had a thread of their own it would put us in as negative a light as we put them. Remember they have to put up with it every day of the working year. We only have to put up with it once a year and look at the way we carry on.

Your idea that we are causing the problem are selves by using the agencies has some merit. If we stopped using them and every one did theirs in person Bangkok would not think the system is working.

I have said this all along, it is not the responsibility of immigration to help prepare people`s paperwork and to guide them through the process and that these people should use an agency instead trying to use the system to sort out their mess as a bonus to avoid paying for advice and administrative services. If I had a legal problem, needed help, advice and had to see a lawyer, I would not expect the service for free. But I wonder, how does immigration in other regions deal with this problem?

edit

Just a thought.

Here we go again............ the CM staff are "worn out".For the upteenth time they don't work every day, they work Monday to Friday, have no customer contact between 12 and 1pm,have all public holdays off and yearly vacation plus unamed fringe benefits including a pension.The fact that people can't get same day service, unless using the "fast track" method, is of no concern to them its not their problem.

No other Immigration Office in the country offers such a pitiful service and no other charges 500 baht for a residence letter. But nj let's keep making the Bangkok excuse if it makes your day.

I have said this all along, it is not the responsibility of immigration to help prepare people`s paperwork and to guide them through the process and that these people should use an agency instead trying to use the system to sort out their mess as a bonus to avoid paying for advice and administrative services. If I had a legal problem, needed help, advice and had to see a lawyer, I would not expect the service for free. But I wonder, how does immigration in other regions deal with this problem?

I agree it is not there job yet people continue to show up ill prepared at times they have to go get photos or photo copies. How ever I believe the real problem is Chiang Mai is such a nice place to live that so many have moved here for permanent and they have not increased their staff.

As for the agents as you alluded to in an earlier post if no one used them and did them all them selves for sure Bangkok would know there is a problem. I believe they already know that and are content with the solution we have found are selves in the person of an agent.sad.png

Yes if I had a legal problem I to would seek out a lawyer to sort it out. If it is a simple one I might ask here on Thai Visa. Such as the one in my next post.

As for other areas I have heard of no complaints similar to are. They all seem to flow real easy. Maybe the officers have time to help due to not many retirement or extensions. Who knows. All I know is I have seen many times where no other office has are problems. In My Hong Son I have heard of the officer causing problems because they are a trouble maker. But that is a personality problem.

Yes the current fee is 1000 baht for 4 reports. If you only wish to have 1 report done the fee is 500 baht. The price was increased to 1500 baht due to the barcode system being issued. Once this was cancelled the price went back to 1000 for 4 reports. We have not ever ripped anyone off. We charged based on the work under taken. We also believe 1000 baht for 4 reports, including notifying every client of when there report is due to avoid the 2000 baht fine is good value for money. I hope this clears up any confusion

Are you still allowed to be 7 days late reporting in for the 90 day?

Recently, I've contacted some folks in other provinces with a large number of retirees to see why it is they don't seem to have the problems we have in Chiang Mai. Phuket has a very well developed group of Foreign Immigration Volunteers, being able to offer assistance in several languages during the entire time their Imm. office is open. They carefully check all documents before a customer is seen by an Imm. officer. Incidentally, they also check for back-up documentation for Income Letters. Yes, that's right, they help Phuket Immigration by making sure that ALL retirement extension applicants either submit proof of an 800,000 baht account in Thailand or proof of monthly income in excess of 65,000 baht/month and they use their Foreign Imm. Volunteers to look at the documents presented as proof because they're familiar with pension and bank statements from their home countries.

In Pattaya, and other provinces, a knowledgeable Imm. officer is the first point of contact for anyone who walks into the office -- not college interns. In Pattaya, that officer carefully checks documents and an applicant spends just a few minutes with the officer processing the actual retirement extension because the first officer caught all the problems. Here in CM, the knowledgeable officers do a document screening of the queue, but after they screen everyone waiting they go into the office and the interns tell anyone who comes in later that the retirement queue is full, even if they didn't distribute all the queue numbers that morning. That's because there's no one available to check documents after the early morning screening.

In many offices, they have safe storage for passports and issue receipts so people can go home and come back the next day to pick up their passport with their visa. No need to sit around for hours waiting for their passport to be returned.

Also, none of the offices seem to set a daily queue limit. Instead they accept applicants up to a certain time. If someone passes the initial document screen, they pretty much can just leave their application/passport there and pick up their passport the next day.

Pattaya has a couple of English-speaking foreign volunteers to help people fill out forms and answer questions, but they aren't as organized or important as the group in Phuket. Certainly, they aren't checking for evidence of someone's monthly income.

Most offices have an immigration officer who speaks decent English and is willing to take the time to help people. I've seen very little of this recently in Chiang Mai. If anything, I've seen Imm. officers deliberately say as little as possible, supply incomplete and misleading answers and do everything possible to "get rid" of anyone asking questions. Yes, I know they're busy and overworked, but I also think there may be the feeling that these people should be using agents.

In many offices, they have safe storage for passports and issue receipts so people can go home and come back the next day to pick up their passport with their visa. No need to sit around for hours waiting for their passport to be returned.

We were spent about 15-20 minutes in front of the Immigration Officer, done by about 9:30. He told us to go home and come back after 2:00 to pick up our passports. My wife had some appointments to deal with so I asked if I could pick up mine and her's and he said yes. When I returned at 2pm, he called my name, and handed me both passports without my needing to ask for my wife's. A very switched-on paper-pusher!

My hat's off to Immigration. As far as I;m concerned, they have it together. They could certainly use more staff, but that's a Bangkok decision. The folks here do a pretty decent job, all things considered.