Report, good return policy in Bangkok

lifemagic

I live in Phnom Pehn and spent my last but one day in BK shopping. Two things I bought turned out to be faulty. A good quality bag had a velcro counterpart missing so it wouldn't close properly. As well as this, a Canon Ixus 175 camera had a fault, the focusing would stick and it was near unusable. I realised this in the evening and my heart sank. I woke up in the morning and didn't want to face the day, my last day, knowing it would be frustrating, unsuccessful, dealing with unreasonable people who don't care (ever the optimist, me!)

I needn't have worried. I bought both items in Central World, the big one near Chitlom. The camera came from Big Camera on the fourth floor. I went back with the camera, box,receipt, explained the problem. He looked at it, admitted it was faulty, I filled in a form, he let me open another and check it worked properly and it took ten minutes. No eye-rolling, no 'farang this, farang that'; just a simple exchange.

I bought the bag from Isetan, the Japanese department store also in Central World. I got a new bag, identical bar the fault, off the shelf, and took it with my faulty bag to the cashier. She looked at them for about two seconds, apologised, gave me the perfect bag, smiled and that was that. Took around five seconds in all.

Am I still in Thailand? Why aren't they calling me names and arguing?

Anyway, thanks CW. You'll be getting my custom again.

Actually I have been posting here in a positive light, when such is the case, for many years (and buying from Central since they were one store some 45 years ago - and see nothing negative in my post). But readers should be aware of facts and we should expect good customer service at premium retail outlets. To heap praise seems a bit OTT. As said above even Tesco Lotus has good customer service and I would not consider that a high priced outlet.

Actually I have been posting here in a positive light, when such is the case, for many years (and buying from Central since they were one store some 45 years ago - and see nothing negative in my post). But readers should be aware of facts and we should expect good customer service at premium retail outlets. To heap praise seems a bit OTT. As said above even Tesco Lotus has good customer service and I would not consider that a high priced outlet.

"Actually I have been posting here in a positive light..."

Actually, you weren't. You ridiculed the poster for buying from where he wanted to buy (perhaps he didn't want to wait a few weeks to receive his purchases) and then criticised him for commenting on good service. Then you did it again above..." To heap praise seems a bit OTT." He wasn't heaping [sic] praise, he was commenting positively on something he saw as being good.

Tesco's returns policy is irrelevant to the OP.

Where can you buy it for 2590?

OK. I wanted to post for two reasons. One, I assumed things are always no refund, no exchange, and found out it's not the case in mid-range places, that you can actually trust seven day returns policies, and so perhaps other people do not know this.

Secondly, I'm always quick to let people know the negative, to warn people of bad things I come across, and I try to balance this with positivity also sometimes, but ... whatever.

The Lazada link was priced at 2590 - now 2589 - and is the lowest on there site (there are several sellers in the 2k range). Agree mention of good service is indeed justified - but did want to point out in this case it was from a full price merchant - first week replacement is quite common for even most discount stores these days and I would expect no less with an open box purchase. My last Canon purchase was opened by seller but was a few years ago. My point was intended to mean seller should be taking good care of you but said it poorly trying to condense into one line. You had a lot of issues buying a working camera from other post so good after sales service was likely not something you expected. Regards.

Archived