Penang Embassy - Visa based on Marriage questions

Hi,

I am travelling to Penang in June to obtain a non imm visa based on marriage.

I would like to get a multiple entry one, this though will be the first time I obtain such a visa (currently on a SETV which has been extended by 60 days based on marriage)

Am I able to get the multiple entry straight away or do I need to first get a single entry then go back in 90 days and then get a multiple entry.

I am also wondering what paperwork will be required, how much money and how long it needs to be seasoned for in my thai bank in order to get the multiple entry visa based on marriage.

Incase it helps I am a UK passport holder.

If anyone has any experience with the Penang embassy and what they require I would very much appreciate your advice.

thanks in advance

There is no need to apply for a single entry visa. For a multi entry Non "O" visa based on marriage....................................

You will need the marriage certificate+a copy and copies of your wife's ID and Tabian Bann in addition to the usual copies of your passport. Evidence of having 400K Bht in a Thai bank will likely also be requested.(No 'seasoning required)

• Like 1

While johnatong's post above represents what is logical and has been required in the past, there have been some strange recent reports of Penang not issuing multiple entry visas in the first instance.

• Like 1

The Consulate in Savannakhet, Laos is probably the most applicant friendly place to get the visa.

Just got my multiple entry visa based on marriage in Savannakhet, hassle free and no money in bank required, visa cost Bht5000.

Give them a call, really helpful +85641212373

Edited by Mr Moo
  • Like 1

Why go Penang I got my Non-O in Hua Hin using my 30 day exemption. Once you get it you can get a multi re-entry permit so it end up being the same as a Non-O multi.

What exactly did you get in Hua Hin ?

You for sure, even if you obtained a "conversion" from a visa exempt entry, got no more then a 90 day "O" visa entry.

A multi -entry "O" visa is valid for one year !

Maybe you have an "extension of stay" (Which is not a Visa) ?

• Like 1

Why go Penang I got my Non-O in Hua Hin using my 30 day exemption. Once you get it you can get a multi re-entry permit so it end up being the same as a Non-O multi.

You got a extension of stay not a not a visa in Hua Hin but first you had to convert your entry to a non immigrant visa entry.

I want to clarify.

1) You entered thailand on 30 day visa exempt.

2) you went to local immigration office in hua hin to convert visa exempt to a non-immigrant O, single entry visa.

3) you then submitted your paperwork for marriage or retirement right then at the same office (or had to come back again to submit)

You didnt have to go to any additional immigration offices, lawyer office, agent, or do anything extra? Does every local immigration office do this?

I originally thought only bangkok office did this.

---

In any case, getting visa outside thailand has different set of requirements that might be more convenient for OP.

I want to clarify.

1) You entered thailand on 30 day visa exempt.

2) you went to local immigration office in hua hin to convert visa exempt to a non-immigrant O, single entry visa.

3) you then submitted your paperwork for marriage or retirement right then at the same office (or had to come back again to submit)

You didnt have to go to any additional immigration offices, lawyer office, agent, or do anything extra? Does every local immigration office do this?

I originally thought only bangkok office did this.

---

In any case, getting visa outside thailand has different set of requirements that might be more convenient for OP.

Bangkok immigration has authorized a few offices within the central region to accept applications for a non immigrant visa. The applications are then sent to Bangkok for approval. Normal time for the approval is 15 days.

Thanks for the replies.

I have already bought plane tickets for Penang as it is a place I would like to check out. So going to Laos although good advice is not going to happen.

If they don't give the multiple entry non o on my visit I am assuming I can get a single entry which will be good for 5 months (including extension)

I have also heard reports that you only need 100,000thb in the bank to obtain the multiple entry visa, not the 400k mentioned earlier. I understand the 400k is more for the 1 year extension of stay rather than obtaining the initial non o. Is there anybody that can confirm or deny this please?

thanks again

Immigrations don't issue visas in the way an embassy or consulate would, although they may have assisted you to convert to a single entry non-imm O entry for a 90 day permission to stay. A multi-re-entry permit would mean you could leave and return during the 90 day permission to stay.

Possibly you ended up with an extension of stay based on marriage or retirement (not a visa), which would be good for a full year and that combined with a multi re-entry permit would give you a full year during which you could come and go as you like. Not quite the same as a non-imm O, which would give you only 90 day stays with each entry.

Thanks for the replies.

I have already bought plane tickets for Penang as it is a place I would like to check out. So going to Laos although good advice is not going to happen.

If they don't give the multiple entry non o on my visit I am assuming I can get a single entry which will be good for 5 months (including extension)

I have also heard reports that you only need 100,000thb in the bank to obtain the multiple entry visa, not the 400k mentioned earlier. I understand the 400k is more for the 1 year extension of stay rather than obtaining the initial non o. Is there anybody that can confirm or deny this please?

thanks again

It has been reported recently that Penang have increased the requirement to 400K.

I received 90 day extension of stay based on marriage which has to be done at the nearest immigration office to your residence.

You need 400k in the bank but it doesn't have to be in the account 3 months.

Then comes a one year extention which requires 400k for 3 months and a multi re-entry permit.

I received 90 day extension of stay based on marriage which has to be done at the nearest immigration office to your residence.

You need 400k in the bank but it doesn't have to be in the account 3 months.

Then comes a one year extention which requires 400k for 3 months and a multi re-entry permit.

"I received 90 day extension of stay based on marriage" ?

Where did you receive this "extension" and what was the fee ?

I first tried getting the extention to my 30 day visa exempt in Bangkok. However after waiting an hour in line we get to the immigration officer and she says it needs to be done at the nearest immigration office to our residence.

I don't remember the fee but for the 90 day extension and re-entry permit was Less than 3000.

I also got the residence guarantee etc that day so I could get my motorcycle licence. I haven't done the 1 year extention yet because it needs to be done on the last month of my 90 day.

I first tried getting the extention to my 30 day visa exempt in Bangkok. However after waiting an hour in line we get to the immigration officer and she says it needs to be done at the nearest immigration office to our residence.

I don't remember the fee but for the 90 day extension and re-entry permit was Less than 3000.

I also got the residence guarantee etc that day so I could get my motorcycle licence. I haven't done the 1 year extention yet because it needs to be done on the last month of my 90 day.

Thank you.

I am still puzzled about this 90 days ! ----A visa exempt entry can only be extended by 30 days or ---if you were married to a Thai by 60 days

You did not get a 90 day extension. If you look in your passport you will see a stamp that shows you got a non immigrant visa and then a new 90 day entry from it.

The fee for the visa was 2000 baht and a single re-entry permit would be 1000 baht.