Scooter Riding lessons in BKK?

jackspade

An acquaintance of mine has never been on a motorcycle or scooter before and asked me to teach him. I don't currently have a scooter and am strapped for time to spare to go rent a bike for him and teach him. Is there anywhere in BKK that this can be done, or anyone who has done this before who might be able to help out (compensated)?

This is Thailand. You don't need lessons to do anything. Just go. He will be better and safer than most of the road users out there as I assume he has brains. Just explain to him that his life expectancy will dramatically decrease if he starts driving a motorbike. Why not buy a cheap second hand car? Yes, its more expensive than a bike but you might live a bit longer...

There is a very good scooter driving school at Ramkanghaeng road around Soi 151 on that uneven side of the road anyways, in the vicinity of Ramkanghaeng crossing with Srinakarin ring road (express way 9) I think just after the crossing coming from bkk center.

Not sure about exact location, just saw it passing by, it may be closer to soi 109 or so, just drive along the road and look out for a big Honda banner and motorcycles driving around on big asphalted area....

I think it is run by Honda and it has a very large playground to ride around in for beginners with cones and tires and stuff.

Edited by AlQaholic

Tell him to practise fast and slow riding in a private area, large car park or similar. Practise braking. Then practise maintaining control on gravel. It's all about acquiring balance.

He should buy an automatic, less things to think of when driving

In the real world, check the mirrors every 30 seconds and don't go above 60 km/hr. Give way to everything. It's called defensive driving.

If he wants a higher power motorcycle, tell him I'll send flowers.

I've ridden super bikes in Europe and the UK for over twenty five years before living in Thailand and my advise for riding a scooter or similar in Thailand is "DON'T DO IT" You might have a modern and well maintained scooter Etc. but taking into consideration the road conditions and the other idiots on these roads it's just far to much of a risk ! !

Edited by Grumpy Old Man

I've ridden super bikes in Europe and the UK for over twenty five years before living in Thailand and my advise for riding a scooter or similar in Thailand is "DON'T DO IT" You might have a modern and well maintained scooter Etc. but taking into consideration the road conditions and the other idiots on these roads it's just far to much of a risk ! !

Life is all about taking risks and not hiding inside a bubble.

You know the old proverb, throw caution to the wind.

It applies in many situations and this is one of them.

I had never rode a scooter or motorcycle in my life until I came to Thailand.

I started on a Honda wave 150 for 6 months then went up to a CBR250 for a year and a half and have now been riding my Ninja 650 for a year and a half.

I drive defensively and am aware of my surroundings and have never had any issue in almost 4 years.

I don't buy into the whole idea of "don't do it".

Edited by Rayk

WOW,Sounds like your friend is a very intelligent person to actually want to learn before riding a dangerous vehicle in a dangerous place like Bangkok.Most people think that are akin to Valentino Rossi just by renting or buying said motorbike. And you are giving intelligent advice yourself sir.Thank you for being a proper friend.Hats off to you and your friend sir.

He could ask a motorbike taxi rider to teach him

Bar fine a honey with a scooter and have her teach you; a much more pleasant training delivery platform and you might get the lessons for free.

Won't only be the motorbike you get to ride as well.

Talk him out of it. I know theres lots of doom and gloom but I can only tell you from first hand experience that it doesn't matter how good you or your friends drives.

It really is the other idiots on the streets that kill you.

I almost got killed (and killed) some old guy, while going on 'super bike' on a country road towards Bang Saray which had a speed limit of 120mk/h outside of Pattaya, when some old guy decided to drive his bike across the road to get on the other side. I hit him at full speed and luckily we both got up after the accident. Had to pay 3,000 baht to the cop at the scene and my own hospital bill was around 15,000 baht.

I had no chance to break, swerve out not to hit him or anything like that. It all happened in a matter of milliseconds and you won't see it coming. All I remember is that I flew and slide a few hundred meters on the concrete and the old guy got his glasses broken and his bike was utterly trashed. Once the ambulance and police arrived I pieced together what happened and collected my mirrors and other parts from the road..

Now we have a scooter drive around our village and thats where it ends. Everything else is done by car now. I only got lucky that day and so did the old gentlemen. A little bit to the right or left and either of us or both could be dead today.

Edited by PomRakBKK

Talk him out of it. I know theres lots of doom and gloom but I can only tell you from first hand experience that it doesn't matter how good you or your friends drives.

It really is the other idiots on the streets that kill you.

I almost got killed (and killed) some old guy, while going on 'super bike' on a country road towards Bang Saray which had a speed limit of 120mk/h outside of Pattaya, when some old guy decided to drive his bike across the road to get on the other side. I hit him at full speed and luckily we both got up after the accident. Had to pay 3,000 baht to the cop at the scene and my own hospital bill was around 15,000 baht.

I had no chance to break, swerve out not to hit him or anything like that. It all happened in a matter of milliseconds and you won't see it coming. All I remember is that I flew and slide a few hundred meters on the concrete and the old guy got his glasses broken and his bike was utterly trashed. Once the ambulance and police arrived I pieced together what happened and collected my mirrors and other parts from the road..

Now we have a scooter drive around our village and thats where it ends. Everything else is done by car now. I only got lucky that day and so did the old gentlemen. A little bit to the right or left and either of us or both could be dead today.

Well, following that fearful ideology I don't understand how you got out of bed to go to an airport to fly over here.

Like anything else, keep your mind about you. Just being on the roads in Thailand is dangerous. You must realize the drivers and riders may at anytime dart out in front of you, cut you off, run you down, or otherwise interfere with your peaceful progress. Make sure your brakes are in top shape, stay clear of others, keep a constant watchful eye, and don't go fast.

Whether you rent a bike or borrow a friend's bike; help your friend get to a mall parking lot or some other less-traveled area and have him practice a lot--of course an automatic clutchless bike would be easier.

Tell him to practise fast and slow riding in a private area, large car park or similar. Practise braking. Then practise maintaining control on gravel. It's all about acquiring balance.

He should buy an automatic, less things to think of when driving

In the real world, check the mirrors every 30 seconds and don't go above 60 km/hr. Give way to everything. It's called defensive driving.

If he wants a higher power motorcycle, tell him I'll send flowers.

every 7 seconds is the recommended frequency apparently. At 60 k in 30 seconds you have traveled 500m...lot of things can change in the distance. 7 seconds you've traveled less than 150m.

Something like that anyway.

Good luck to the novice......why would anyone want to do this in Thailand with no prior experience simply baffles me.

Oh and get good, very good, insurance.