3BB router password hacked

RKASA

3BB adsl HG531V1 router

I first opened the router when I got installed and changed the SSID and pass using the default admin and last 4 of MAC and then used the validate code worked fine. Wifi set up worked fine. logged out in back in several times using that method.

backed up the config file as is was at that point.

Armed with a config back up I then went and changed the user and pass on the router from default to mine and made another backup config.

I logged out and then back in no problem, all the new stuff worked wrote it down did it again as written and it worked in fact it worked on Sunday I changed nothing that day but was logged in and looked around to get a feel for it, so today I could do some port stuff.

Anyway - today cannot log in - fails on password or user - waited tried again later and have tried using default have all these things recorded same thing - password or user fail not a validate fail.

Some how the password or user name has been changed - maybe remotely and nether of them work anymore?

Anyway has anyone done the hard reset - will it bring back the org log admin and MAC numbers or what can I expect besides maybe not having a working router at all. I can't make use of a config file without access.

Suggestions - No. 1 yes it will be replaced - I was happy with its performance but maybe not so much the security level - till then - I am running and don't know who or what has what kind of access to it - so Maybe I just unplug it after I pick up a new one (safer type) and shelf it in a few days.

No.2 ___________

Until then - Is there a way to recover a password/user that works? and will I be able to get another one connected.

You can do a hard reset but you will need to re-enter the 3bb credentials. If you have a config file saved then they should all be in there.

Where did you get the config file from ? Did you ssh into the router ?

Could it have been hard reset without your knowledge ?

Edit : I have the same router as you and I changed the password as soon as the guy left after installing it.

Edited by ukrules

I haven't done the hard reset myself but I got one of the 3BB guys to do it.

I believe it resets everything to factory settings. The MAC is hard coded and printed on the router so that should not change.

If I were you I would do a hard reset and then get back into the http admin area using the default username/password then upload your config file and see if works.

I looked at my downloadconfigfile.conf expecting to see a linux style config file, but no : It's a full non readable (by the eyes) binary file in some propietary format by the looks of it.

I changed it and used it just sunday so it worked - I downloaded the config file as a backup after I changed the password.

That was my main concern does the connection details for 3bb get restored too or just my changes -

So the reset does allow the user admin and last 4 MAC to get back in if that works I am good to go.

I'm suspect that it will backup and restore the entire config. It doesn't mention this in the manual though.

I'd give it a go anyway, there's nothing to lose apart from some time.

The worst case scenario is that you would need to call up 3BB for any account specific details but I suspect they will be inside the config file.

The user manual is useless.

Yea the manual says the default password is again something different then the org. from 3bb so I don't know if that will work or the user user or who know what ends up being the default. If it fails I am out a router until I get to town, but if the user or pass is getting changed then this thing has to go. Other then that it works fine for what I need - I just can't trust it now, but maybe they can hack them all. I know this user pass I had was a good one that worked and it is not anymore.

This is the manual I found online: http://setuprouter.com/router/huawei/hg531v1/manual-1943.pdf

Thanks

I had two of these routers installed at different locations in January this year.

The default username / password at the time of installation will be :

Username : admin

Password : 3bb

Now I'm not sure whether they manually set this when doing the installation or it comes hard programmed in the router.

I do know that 3BB telephone support are actually pretty good and if you do get locked out you will be able to call them and they should be able to tell you whatever you need to get back in.

Good luck

Edit : The default user/pass has been admin/3bb for years with 3BB, I noticed differences between online manuals on various models of router supplied to me over time. I guess 3BB buy so many routers they can have them partially configured by the manufacturer when they're delivered from the factory.

Edited by ukrules

I had two of these routers installed at different locations in January this year.

The default username / password at the time of installation will be :

Username : admin

Password : 3bb

Now I'm not sure whether they manually set this when doing the installation or it comes hard programmed in the router.

I do know that 3BB telephone support are actually pretty good and if you do get locked out you will be able to call them and they should be able to tell you whatever you need to get back in.

Good luck

Edit : The default user/pass has been admin/3bb for years with 3BB, I noticed differences between online manuals on various models of router supplied to me over time. I guess 3BB buy so many routers they can have them partially configured by the manufacturer when they're delivered from the factory.

Mine was not - it was user and the last 4 number in the MAC address which I change within minutes - My fear is that was set by 3bb and won't be there after reset nor the one I changed it to that was working fine on Sunday. When I reset I hope it is the one I started with otherwise it will be user;user or one of 15 other things I found for the same router online.

If it fails me tonight when I get time to do this I will just take it into 3bb and get it reset. and get the new one configured too. thumbsup.gif