MacBook Air - Where to buy Thailand or UK ?

robertthebruce

If prices in the UK are similar to those in mainland Europe, then buying it in Thailand will be slightly cheaper. Furthermore, you can most likely claim VAT back at the airport, making it even more cheaper to buy it here.

As far as I can make out, Apple are, like Starbucks and other global corporations, charging exactly the same price in Bangkok, London, New York, Toronto etc etc. You may be able to save something via the exchange rates, but it's neither here nor there.

In brief, it's better to buy in the country you are mostly or normally resident in. The exchange rate will be a matter of pennies.

As far as I can make out, Apple are, like Starbucks and other global corporations, charging exactly the same price in Bangkok, London, New York, Toronto etc etc. You may be able to save something via the exchange rates, but it's neither here nor there.

In brief, it's better to buy in the country you are mostly or normally resident in. The exchange rate will be a matter of pennies.

I found the MacBook Air I bought my wife in Bangkok was roughly $80 more in Thailand and on-line, it was worth it rather than wait for it to arrive in the mail.

Recently I've found that anything Apple is cheaper in Thailand than in the UK.

You may get VAT back in the UK if your Wife / GF claims it.

You can get Tax back from Thailand - But not if you've purchased it online.

Prices are clearly visible on Both Online Stores.

---------

Whats wrong with Thai on the keyboard ? it's sometimes useful... even if its just the Wife who's typing out a form or something.

The warranty in the uk may be 2 years but it's actually up to 5 years under EU legislation. My TV went wrong after 3 years and they refused to look at it under the 2 year warranty. As soon as I mentioned the EU legislation they did a U turn and repaired it for free.

I purchased an iPhone 6 Plus just over a year ago in BKK and saved £70 compared to the UK price. Forgot to pick up the VAT receipt, so would have been even more on my return to the UK, no biggie though.

I've been buying and using Mac computers since 2000 here in Thailand when JJ's boutique in Panthip Plaza was the only retailer. Now there is an iStudio or iBeat store in every Central Plaza in Thailand and some in Tesco and BigC too. All run by http://www.maccomseven.com/stores/

I have purchased 14 Macs over the years. since 1989, Nine of them here in Thailand. Never had any problems with any of them.

You need to compare the UK and Thai Apple pages side by side and compare the final retail prices incl. VAT in each country. If you purchase locally in Thailand, you'll get the Thai 7% VAT back at the airport, but only if you have a tourist status.

If the saving is significant, the Thai/English keyboard would only disturb the most finiky of people.

If you are buying here,Only buy from an official Apple store .You can purchase them from several place in Fashion Island ,Siam Central,,Pantip Plaza,Etc,but make sure that it a true Apple store, unless you want to buy a cheap knock off or a recondition one.Shop here first and compare ,as the cost in the UK with taxes bay be more.

Edited by sanukjim

I just wanted to add that the best choice to buy Apple and in particular MacBooks is online. And the English version of the Thai website is back!

The big advantage of buying online is the choice of processors, storage, keyboards etc. which you don't get in a shop.

Delivery is fast, smooth and reliable.

If you are buying here,Only buy from an official Apple store .You can purchase them from several place in Fashion Island ,Siam Central,,Pantip Plaza,Etc,but make sure that it a true Apple store, unless you want to buy a cheap knock off or a recondition one.Shop here first and compare ,as the cost in the UK with taxes bay be more.

Buy online. I buy all my Apple products from the Thai Apple Store online, never any issues, quick delivery unless you are buying a brand new release. There are no official Apple stores in Thailand. These shops are only resellers.