School van crash leaves 16 injured

webfact

Van crash leaves 16 injured

192_Van-wpcf_728x408.jpg

KORAT: -- Fifteen students and a teacher were slightly injured yesterday after the van they were travelling in fell off the road and overturned after clashing with a pickup truck in Serng Sang district of Nakhon Ratchasima province.

The incident happened on the road from Serng Sang in Nakhon Ratchasima to Buriram.

The student van of Purita school came out of the secondary road from Prachathai housing estate to the main road unaware of a pickup truck with fish and shrimp loads was coming on the side in high speed.

The two vehicles collided, and the van fell to the roadside ditch and overturned.

Nobody in the truck was hurt but all in the van were injured.

They were later rescued by Hook 41 Highway rescuers and admitted to Serng Sang hospital.

All were treated for bruises except three for cuts on the heads. But they were all allowed to return home after the primary treatment.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/165895

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-03

15 students + 1 teacher + 1 (I presume) driver = 17 people.

17 in a minivan. They just don't get it, do they?

Toyota's specification 16 seats, article says all in Minibus injured so not exceeding specification.

Edited by kartman

Yesterday on my way to Phuket there were 4 vans from the British international school driving 100km/h where max 60 was allowed. They tried to overtake each other sometimes passing via the left lane used by motorcycles. Pretty horrific scene. If even an international school fails in educating their drivers you can imagine how the rest of the pack is doing...

With all those people in one minivan, it probably saved some lives by cushioning the impact.

I hope this theory doesn't get around. The authorities might take credit for implementing this as a life saving strategy.

jaltsc does your strategy work even better with 15 overweight students ? maybe they have more cushioning effect

I often see an infant standing on the footboards in front of scooter drivers and have thought maybe these are "human airbags" "podgier" the better.

Please ,when you have kids in your vans ,<deleted> slow down and look before you pull out

Not sure why "when you have kids in your vans" is any more relevant than "if you have anybody in your vans". Kids or not, they do not have superior value over others.

No they don't.

They could easily have four more standing passengers in there. One in each row.

Apart from my sick humour, this is becoming a daily report. I am terrified of taking vans nowadays and avoid them as much as possible.

Edited by petedk

The Thai school system needs to sit strict safety standards for the transportation of students and the vans they ride in this is the 3rd within a week that I know of this has to stop. 17 people in a van that is overloaded and there is not even enough seat belts for all the students and probably the van was speeding which caused the accident. Thai has no respect for lives none if they did this would not have happened and they would have used 2 vans which is required for this many people.

Yesterday on my way to Phuket there were 4 vans from the British international school driving 100km/h where max 60 was allowed. They tried to overtake each other sometimes passing via the left lane used by motorcycles. Pretty horrific scene. If even an international school fails in educating their drivers you can imagine how the rest of the pack is doing...

I hope you informed the school! I guess they will know now anyway.