What should I do? Advice is needed

I left Thailand about a month ago, and will go back in about a month. After that, I am leaving for a long time. I just need around 60 days to get things sorted out.

I am in Vietnam now, and was told I can get a visa with flight proof in/out and bank statement. Okay, fine. I have enough money.

However, I don't want to pay for a flight because my company will pay a flight later on once paperwork is done.

Here is my visa (and exempt) history:

3 exempt stamps in 2014 (did not do in/out)

1 SETV from Vietnam (HCMC) in March 2014 - extended

and then right after that,

2 back-to-back double entry visas from Vientiane...extended all but 1 entry

I know I can get a visa, but maybe it is easier to just fly to Thailand and get a visa exempt stamp and then extend at immigration? Will this be a problem?

Will I have to show a flight out of Thailand and bank statement? Do you need cash or is the bank statement okay? I don't like carrying a lot of cash.

Basically, since I know I get the visa, will I be allowed to get a visa exempt ... but do i need flight proof and statement... or are they not likely to ask for it.

Thanks

If entering Thailand via a "visa exempt entry" onward fights / cash are only rarely asked for.

It would be wise, however, to have 20,000Bht (or equivalent) available. Lack of cash is the most common (and easiest to evidence) reason for refusal of entry.

If you are flying from Vietnam into Thailand seeking to enter visa exempt, you are likely to be asked to show outbound flight. Problem with that is by sound of it you aim to extend the visa exempt stamp. Meaning your stay is over 30 days. I fly hcmc every 6 weeks. AirAsia most often checks if I have a visa. Sometimes they don't. One option would be to book one online if refused a boarding. However cheapest flight out of los would be about 1k. Also its throw away because you don't wish to use it

Edited by jacksam
  • Like 1

If you are flying from Vietnam into Thailand seeking to enter visa exempt, you are likely to be asked to show outbound flight. Problem with that is by sound of it you aim to extend the visa exempt stamp. Meaning your stay is over 30 days. I fly hcmc every 6 weeks. AirAsia most often checks if I have a visa. Sometimes they don't. One option would be to book one online if refused a boarding. However cheapest flight out of los would be about 1k. Also its throw away because you don't wish to use it

You should make it clear that it is the airlines that often demand evidence of an onward flight NOT the Thai immigration officers

Think clearly stating AirAsia often wish to see onward flight was clear enough. Correct, the problem won't be at Thai immigration regarding flight tickets. The hurdle will be obtaining the boarding pass in Vietnam to get on the plane.

Edited by jacksam
  • Like 1

I can do onward flight, not a big deal.... but cash? I don't think they would ask for cash? If so, show them a bank statement. I cannot even withdraw 20k in baht.... last time, my bank just allowed 17k baht at once....that's the max for daily withdraw.

It's 10K baht for visa exempt entry and it can be in any equivalent currency. A bank statement wouldn't be accepted.

Yes Jack...no problem. If you have a booked hotel accom or address of somewhere you staying handy would be good (won't be needed)

Also as for onward flight...maybe if you just have carry on do online check in.

Jack...can see your nervous. You main gig is to get onto plane X Vietnam. Your concerns most likely won't be when you arrive. If they ask you why did not have visa (most likely not) just say your staying for few weeks and your employer will send you to another port. No worries. Have good flight. Bet you loved hcmc

I can do onward flight, not a big deal.... but cash? I don't think they would ask for cash? If so, show them a bank statement. I cannot even withdraw 20k in baht.... last time, my bank just allowed 17k baht at once....that's the max for daily withdraw.

Go back to the bank the next day. It's only a daily limit, not annual.

OP just at don mueang now. Flying to Japan with tgf. We were put to one side at boarding desk and asked to produce ticket for flight out of Japan. BTW Thai nationals get 15 day visa exempt there.

They asked how long we were staying and checked return flight was within the 15 days.

We have been three times before. Same process every time. I realize your flying into los but same same.

Edited by jacksam

Buy a fully refundable ticket for a flight out. Will take a while for the refund to be processed, maybe a month or so from my recollection. Just book it with one of the normal reputable airlines, not a cheapo.

Could you suggest such an airline flying X bkk to where with a FULLY refundable ticket. Not saying they don't exist but generally tend to be longhaul.

Buy a fully refundable ticket for a flight out. Will take a while for the refund to be processed, maybe a month or so from my recollection. Just book it with one of the normal reputable airlines, not a cheapo.

Could you suggest such an airline flying X bkk to where with a FULLY refundable ticket. Not saying they don't exist but generally tend to be longhaul.
Someone asked this a few months ago. Back then I did have a look, and could not find one that does not charge a penalty for cancellation for short haul (even business class). We came to the conclusion it's better to lose the money on a cheap Air Asia ticket. Edited by lkv

What you do is , buy the cheapest Airasia ticket out of Thailand ,which will be around 1000 to 1200 Baht online, wait till after departure of the flight and apply for refund of Airport tax,which is 700 Baht,it will take a while but Airasia will transfer the 700 Baht back into the account with which the initial booking was made.All you lose is a paltry 300 to 500 Baht.It might work with other airlines, but have done it only with Airasia.

and what are the chances of being asked for money and plane ticket? Big chance, little? depends?

There are of course no guarantees and it is always possible you could be asked but in my personal experience, I would say the chances are low. I have entered Thailand on a visa exempt entry somewhere around 40 times over the last 35 years and I've never been asked once for either of those things.

Just for info I entered Thailand on a Air Vietnam flight from Ho Chi Minh City on 19 April.

Visa exempt 30 day entry.

Not asked for any funds or outward ticket from Thailand. (I had them , however)

Difference may have been it was my first visa exempt entry to Thailand.

I have since extended that visa exempt entry until 17 June at CW immigration for 1900 Baht.

Your problem may be that you show other 30 day visa exempt entries in your passport.

So it is hard to say if they will let you enter Thailand again with your visa exempt history or not.

Depends on the immigration officer on duty, and how he or she is feeling at the time.

If you can get a tourist visa from the Thai consulate in Ho Chi Minh....give them what they want....you will probably have no problem with Air Vietnam flights

You can buy a one way throwaway outbound ticket out of Thailand for less than $200....if it is a requirement for you to get the visa from the Thai consulate in Ho Chi Minh.

With a new Thai tourist visa in your passport you will have no problem entering Thailand by air.

Just for info I entered Thailand on a Air Vietnam flight from Ho Chi Minh City on 19 April.

Visa exempt 30 day entry.

Not asked for any funds or outward ticket from Thailand. (I had them , however)

Difference may have been it was my first visa exempt entry to Thailand.

I have since extended that visa exempt entry until 17 June at CW immigration for 1900 Baht.

Your problem may be that you show other 30 day visa exempt entries in your passport.

So it is hard to say if they will let you enter Thailand again with your visa exempt history or not.

Depends on the immigration officer on duty, and how he or she is feeling at the time.

If you can get a tourist visa from the Thai consulate in Ho Chi Minh....give them what they want....you will probably have no problem with Air Vietnam flights

You can buy a one way throwaway outbound ticket out of Thailand for less than $200....if it is a requirement for you to get the visa from the Thai consulate in Ho Chi Minh.

With a new Thai tourist visa in your passport you will have no problem entering Thailand by air.

Good info.....but just to add....it is a requirement for setv from hcmc to show onward flight.

Hence as I suggested earlier, he can wing it and present for check in and if refused purchase throw away ticket. As mentioned aa starts Vientiane July 1 for 990baht. He can even claim back the airport tax if he can be bothered.

Edited by jacksam