Bulkhead Light Wiring

gerryBScot

I am trying to ft a new bulkhead light outside; the existing mains wiring is black and grey and the wiring for the new bulkhead lamp is blue and brown - what connects with what? Any help gratefully appreciated before I blow myself and the house up. Thanks

in thailand Black is live (or hotwire) brown is live by the european code as someone suggested it wont matter the lamp will work

but for safety sake best keep to code also if an earth comes into play

Most of the wiring I have seen in Thailand grey is line and black is neutral.

If it is a made for a screwed in bulb line should go to the contact at the bottom. The part with the threads should always be neutral since that is the part that can easily be touched,

If it is a made for a screwed in bulb line should go to the contact at the bottom. The part with the threads should always be neutral since that is the part that can easily be touched,

Well, that could be the case where you live in Thailand but certainly not the norm. Whatever the color, it's the LIVE that is switched - if that's the case, then it really doesn't matter. If there is no switch, then it doesn't matter more. :)

Well, that could be the case where you live in Thailand but certainly not the norm. Whatever the color, it's the LIVE that is switched - if that's the case, then it really doesn't matter. If there is no switch, then it doesn't matter more. smile.png

I have learned over the years here you never trust the colors or what is switched.

The electrical code I learned about many years ago states what I wrote about fixture wiring. You can never be sure a person has turned off the switch before changing a bulb.