National Park Fees

huddy

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think those fees are out of date. Check these out.

post-5966-1163623341_thumb.jpg

Yes So SAD ...Say roi bt for N-Ts :o and would agree but guess my local park hasnt caught up with the new prices yet...

As I have said before my place is next door and we dont even have a fence...just walk over...the mountain..... :D

I think those fees are out of date. Check these out.

post-5966-1163623341_thumb.jpg

Yes So SAD ...Say roi bt for N-Ts :o and would agree but guess my local park hasnt caught up with the new prices yet...

As I have said before my place is next door and we dont even have a fence...just walk over...the mountain..... :D

showed this to K wife tonight and she was shocked and stunned :D

It not FAIR....sounds good..dear....and ...wotcha. :D

What we NEED is Mr T (no name) back and he will sort it out....O dear wot the ....

AS said before that she (like many others...dont kid.yer-selves..,,,,)is a TRT wotsits and she VOTES...but somehow.I aint so.......... :D

Give me a break, white people. Pay more attention at your own behaviours. Look at history when talking about racism. You are best at doing it.

(No offense meant to anyone, I am colour-blind. Just pointing out what I see.)

Sorry about your bad experiences from white people, MeeMiaThai, but no one color of people has a monopoly on racism. It's pandemic. As a white person, I've experienced blatant racism from blacks in the USA, Japanese, Koreans, and Thai.

And yes, the lighter-colored Thai in my classrooms ARE very racist in their attitudes about the darkest students (one or two in every class).

The answer is just to keep on being color blind ourselves--as we all wish the National Park personnel would be as well.

As people have said the policy is applied very inconsistently. Pang Sida was a non-negotiable 200 Baht. Khao Yai is 20 Baht if you can speak Thai. Khun Tan wanted an alien residence card. Ta Phraya charged me 20 Baht 'when the boss wasn't looking'. Sam Roi Yot charged 200 at the HQ and 20 at the lovely Sam Phraya Beach. I have no idea what they are charging for at Ko Samet. Oh yes, Nam Tok Phliw agreed to 20 Baht provided I supported England in the world cup!

400 Baht is too much in my opinion. I advise you take whatever Thai ID you have and a non-confrontational attitude.

Its taking the p*ss. Pure and simple. Asking "falangs" to pay 2000% more than the locals? :D

I expect some two-tier pricing as a long-time resident here; but that is outrageous in my opinion. Its not the price either;- its the principal; racist; xenophobic; arrogant,....

Stick it where the sun don't shine. :o

As people have said the policy is applied very inconsistently. Pang Sida was a non-negotiable 200 Baht. Khao Yai is 20 Baht if you can speak Thai. Khun Tan wanted an alien residence card. Ta Phraya charged me 20 Baht 'when the boss wasn't looking'. Sam Roi Yot charged 200 at the HQ and 20 at the lovely Sam Phraya Beach. I have no idea what they are charging for at Ko Samet. Oh yes, Nam Tok Phliw agreed to 20 Baht provided I supported England in the world cup!

400 Baht is too much in my opinion. I advise you take whatever Thai ID you have and a non-confrontational attitude.

Exactly as you say... nearly every one of 100-plus National Park literally has it's own set of guidelines as well as laxity in enforcement, from extremely lax to extremely stringent. The trend lately is certainly leaning towards the stringent side when compared to days gone by.

As for Samet, it was posted elsewhere 400 baht for foreigners. Period. Full stop. Drivers licenses, WP's etc. make no difference. The way to pay the local 40 baht rate was only with a Thai National ID Card.

Exactly as you say... nearly every one of 100-plus National Park literally has it's own set of guidelines as well as laxity in enforcement, from extremely lax to extremely stringent. The trend lately is certainly leaning towards the stringent side when compared to days gone by.

As for Samet, it was posted elsewhere 400 baht for foreigners. Period. Full stop. Drivers licenses, WP's etc. make no difference. The way to pay the local 40 baht rate was only with a Thai National ID Card.

Indeed, not only has Samet gone down the pan in the level of filth around the island. It seems now the attitude has gone with it. I have great fun seeking out more remote and less visited places and have found some wonderful spots. So farewell Samet.

During a recent visit to Krabi, we took a tuk tuk to a quiet peice of coast/beach, and in one corner of the headland, we came across the following sign:

I cannot read Thai, but my wife says that the Thai charge is quoted as 20 Baht, using Thai numbers so that we farangs don't know we're being ripped off.

The area covered by this 200 Baht charge was tiny - you could walk it in less than five minutes, and contained nothing of any interest or beauty that you couln't find anywhere else in Krabi for free.

Obviouly business was'nt booming as the ticket booths at both ends of this area were un- manned and we enjoyed a free view. :D

Sad - even pathetic - ain't it. :o

In a hierarchical society, all are not equal--especially if you look different. Darker-colored students in my classroom suffer ridiculously merciless insults from other students because of their appearance. In a western classroom, I would have ejected the vocal student for racist attitudes. Not here. The darker one just grins and bears it, much like the black person had to do in pre-civil rights USA southern states. I enjoy making positive comments about the beautiful brown skin of my darker students, and watch the perplexed looks on the faces of my "fairer" more arrogant pupils. It may be the prevailing culture, but I'm trying to change their attitudes, one classroom at a time. I warn them if they want to visit MY country (and most of them do, because they are anglophiles), they better put on more tanning cream, because the darker, the better! (I know, now I sound like a racist myself!).
The darker the better? I heard of someone being hit on the street for the only reason of being dark and is now a vegetable in England. Are you from England?

I grew up in HK, I am half white half chinese. I have never experienced racism in my life. Is HK SEA? The only racism I experienced in life are from white people.

BTW,

The darker one just grins and bears it
, you mean there is only one dark skin person in a thai classroom? Or if not, is the majority the darker ones or the whiter ones?

Give me a break, white people. Pay more attention at your own behaviours. Look at history when talking about racism. You are best at doing it.

Historically yes, we are pretty ###### good at this, but..........

I think Asians take it to a different level tho. The difference being they hide it.

Every nation is racist to some degree. One of the posters above insinuates that it is somehow a Western speciality, well give me a break, please? I've had the hostesses of several airlines ask the nice Japanese or Chinese person sat next to me if they mind sitting next to a gaijin or gweilo*, and would they like to move? :D (*trans: barbarian / white devil)

Asians are as racist as anyone, too.

What those National Park signs are saying is that it is open season in ripping off Westerners; whether you have a "driving license" or not. :o It is totally contemptuous of the people who contribute a great deal to this country, and who don't throw ######ing litter everywhere they go.

I cannot read Thai, but my wife says that the Thai charge is quoted as 20 Baht, using Thai numbers so that we farangs don't know we're being ripped off.

The Thai charge that is 20 baht using Thai numbers is for the purpose of Thai people who read Thai.

Likewise the Farang charge is quoted using English numbers and text for Farangs who can't read Thai.

:o

All in all a good service telling Farang what they have to pay, what Thai people pay should be of no concern to Farangs.

Worry about what YOU pay, not what others pay! Would you be happy if Thai people were also charged 200 baht ?

Edited by Maigo6

I would imagine the Thai charge is qouted 20 baht using Thai numbers for the purpose of Thai people who read Thai.

Likewise the Farang charge is quoted using English numbers and text for Farangs who can't read Thai.

:D

How odd - that's exactly what I thought.

However the point I was trying to make was that it is quite unusual for Thais to use the Thai numbering system - they nearly always use western numbers - on notices, in books, magazines , signs etc. I stand to be corrected on this but I do beleivce it is pretty unusual for them to print numerals in Thai these days - unless they have a special reason :o

In a hierarchical society, all are not equal--especially if you look different. Darker-colored students in my classroom suffer ridiculously merciless insults from other students because of their appearance. In a western classroom, I would have ejected the vocal student for racist attitudes. Not here. The darker one just grins and bears it, much like the black person had to do in pre-civil rights USA southern states. I enjoy making positive comments about the beautiful brown skin of my darker students, and watch the perplexed looks on the faces of my "fairer" more arrogant pupils. It may be the prevailing culture, but I'm trying to change their attitudes, one classroom at a time. I warn them if they want to visit MY country (and most of them do, because they are anglophiles), they better put on more tanning cream, because the darker, the better! (I know, now I sound like a racist myself!).
The darker the better? I heard of someone being hit on the street for the only reason of being dark and is now a vegetable in England. Are you from England?

I grew up in HK, I am half white half chinese. I have never experienced racism in my life. Is HK SEA? The only racism I experienced in life are from white people.

BTW,

The darker one just grins and bears it
, you mean there is only one dark skin person in a thai classroom? Or if not, is the majority the darker ones or the whiter ones?

Historically yes, we are pretty ###### good at this, but..........

I think Asians take it to a different level tho. The difference being they hide it.

truly an International Phenomenon:

4-7503-2005-6.jpg

JAPANESE ONLY

The Otaru Hot Springs Case and Racial Discrimination in Japan 

http://www.hanmoto.com/bd/ISBN4-7503-2005-6.html

post-9005-1163670659_thumb.jpg

Work, Rights, and Discrimination against Burmese Workers in Thailand

http://www.amrc.org.hk/5306.htm

^^^^ the ".org.hk" reference specifically for meemiathai's benefit

Edited by sriracha john

Thailand is not so bad compared to it's neighbors. I just got back from Cambodia and it costs $20 per day to visit Anghor Wat as compared to free for Cambodians. Mind you, I am very happy to pay these costs, as I am in Thailand. It really doesn't add up to an enormous amount over a lifetime. I think the US charges Thais about $20 per day in Yosemite Natl Park as well.

Thailand is not so bad compared to it's neighbors. I just got back from Cambodia and it costs $20 per day to visit Anghor Wat as compared to free for Cambodians. Mind you, I am very happy to pay these costs, as I am in Thailand. It really doesn't add up to an enormous amount over a lifetime. I think the US charges Thais about $20 per day in Yosemite Natl Park as well.

With the greatest respect, I don't think you can compare the whole of the Angkor Wat complex with every tiny waterfall in Thailand which happens to lie in a National Park. Also see earlier for the various deals available for visiting all of U.S.'s NP's.

It really is an ill-thought out, racist policy.

Meemiathai, the usually quite intelligent man talking absolute bulldust. Racism a Western concept? :o How pathetic. Of course many Caucasians are racist, so are Africans, Asians etc . . .

How do HKs treat their Philippino maids? How do Chinese in SEA view the Malays, Thais, Burmese, etc . . . How do they treat black people?

How do the Koreans treat Thais, Philippinos, Indons, Blacks etc . . .

:D:D and triple :D You should know better than to write such nonsense.

The fees were scheduled to rise on September 15, but caretaker Minister Yongyuth Tiyapairat has agreed to postpone the hike until November 30 next year. Park entry fees for foreigners will rise from Bt200 to Bt400 and for Thais from Bt20 to Bt40.

Well, you don't like, you don't go.

I don't...

By way of comparison entry to the Grand Canyon NP is $12 (450 baht) or $25 (950 baht) for your car and all its passengers. For $50 you can buy a pass that gives you and your passengers entry for one year to ALL the national parks across the USA, and there are a lot of them. That seems much better value than the fees charged in Thailand, and you can see that at least some of the money collected pays for the upkeep of the sites, something that isn't so obvious at times in Thailand. :o

But who the hel_l would want to go to america?

probaly get arrested for terror charges for wearing a hat

*NEWSFLASH* Prostitution is illegal in Thailand! However, there are unconfirmed reports that it does in fact occur.

In Thailand, the official policy is not necessarily the usual practice. I have been entering national parks in Thailand for 9 years now, perhaps 15 times, and have been charged the 200 baht fee only one time near Ubon Ratchathani ( I must admit, I was a bit miffed for 2.5 minutes until I came to my senses). The other times, a Thai driver's license, a smile, a bit of Thai language, and I was graciously passed at the Thai rate.

I'm far too lazy to go back in the thread and see where the racism comments entered the thread; but it does seem inapplicable here. The entrance fee is for foreigners or for Thai citizens. Thus, a racial Thai such as Tiger Woods would pay the 200 baht, whereas a racial caucasian such as Bill Heineke, a Thai citizen, would pay the 20 baht. Similarly, Malays, Indians, Burmese etc. who are Thai citizens would pay the Thai citizen rate. Race doesn't enter the equation in policy or, in my experience, in practice.

times do change..

and it seems like more and more Parks have adopted the 400 baht fee as well as not accepting anything other than a Thai National ID card for entrance at the 1/10th rate.

If you wish to discuss the racism charge, it necessitates you reading why people have made it, particularly since its a valid one.

Edited by sriracha john

I was charged 400bht at Erewan National park which i thought was discusting, girfriend and son 40 each. I think it should be the same rate for all, visitor or not, 30-80bht.

Most parks in the UK are free, the ones that charge, charge the same for all.

I wouldn't go as far as to call it racism, but it is certainly ignorant.

But who the hel_l would want to go to america?

Good point Donz. :o

a few people seem to want to go to the parks there:

In 2004, more than 276 million visitors went to the [American] national parks.

- USA Today

:D

Probaly as accurate as there figures on casualties with the war or terror :D

I visited Everglades National Park.

Paid 10 usd for 1 car with passengers (we were only the 2 of us) valid one week. Went in/out for 5 days. No complaint seeing the facilities there (walk ways, parkings, view points, rest rooms....)

400 baht for any Thai national park? A rip off, I avoid them.

Thai driving license is not an ID card, so you are a bottom dwelling sumsucker creeper........just the type to try and scam anything like a dirty backpacker...!

Anyway now that thats off my chest.......the rate was not introduced. i am in the tourism industry and we had notice that the rate had been deferred after the coup. So any Nat Park charging that rate (400 bt) is ripping you off big time.

Its a bit of a joke relaly....nat Parks seem to pop up everywhere with the entry gates located right at the strategic point to nab us for our well earned bahts...ok there needs to be some baht earned to make improvements...........but when did we last see significant improvements after the initial rate rise to 200 baht. There were few....so where does the money go ?????