Spider found in Chiang Mai

LannaGuy

I dont know the latin name for this one but its normally referred to as a common house spider. They are very good at keeping other bugs away but harmless to us. Sure they look a bit fightening and can move rather quickly, but harmless.

This wet weather has brought a lot of them out, had a couple in the house last week....not sure who wins in a fight between spider and gecko but I just let them be.

They would make a good prop in any horror/scary movie, small body but really long legs.

P.S I just checked Google...I believe its a type of 'Huntsman' spider.

Edited by CMKiwi

I dont know the latin name for this one but its normally referred to as a common house spider. They are very good at keeping other bugs away but harmless to us. Sure they look a bit fightening and can move rather quickly, but harmless.

This wet weather has brought a lot of them out, had a couple in the house last week....not sure who wins in a fight between spider and gecko but I just let them be.

They would make a good prop in any horror/scary movie, small body but really long legs.

yikes! I managed to catch it and put it outside - nasty bite I read but harmless

mai chop mak mak

AND it kept jumping up to attack me... be glad not to see another one :)

Edited by LannaGuy

this is what the australian huntsman looks like... your's looks very similar.

harmless but scary.

you can actually feel their 'grip' when they climb up your leg!

it must be some natural reflex but it's a horrible thing lol

anyway I overcame my fear and caught it and out the window it went and on it's merry way!

Every so often one of those spiders climbs into the house and gives as a visit. Although they can nip they are usually more afraid of us than we are of them and always considered them totally harmless. They look large and menacing but in fact are very fragile. One light whack with the old plastic fly swat and they end up in pieces on the floor.

This is just something to get use to living in Thailand, I don`t even give these things a second thought anymore.

Some time ago one of those spiders that seems to be all legs with a pin head sized body, the types that make a web on a ceiling and remain there forever, made it`s home on the part of the ceiling above my bed. Every night I used to watch it move from one side of it`s web to the other and catch small insects in it`s web. One night one of those jumping spiders decided to take it on and steal it`s prey from the web. It was battle that lasted for over an hour and my spider won with the jumper walking off in defeat. I actually became very fond of it. Then one morning went into the bedroom and the web and spider had gone. My girlfriend told me she had brushed the cobwebs away with a long broom along with my pet spider. Heartbroken I was, my nightly friend and companion was gone. It reminded me of the film, Cast Away with Tom Hanks when he loses his football he named Wilson and goes into grief, that made me think I`ve been living in Thailand for too long.

Every so often one of those spiders climbs into the house and gives as a visit. Although they can nip they are usually more afraid of us than we are of them and always considered them totally harmless. They look large and menacing but in fact are very fragile. One light whack with the old plastic fly swat and they end up in pieces on the floor.

This is just something to get use to living in Thailand, I don`t even give these things a second thought anymore.

Some time ago one of those spiders that seems to be all legs with a pin head sized body, the types that make a web on a ceiling and remain there forever, made it`s home on the part of the ceiling above my bed. Every night I used to watch it move from one side of it`s web to the other and catch small insects in it`s web. One night one of those jumping spiders decided to take it on and steal it`s prey from the web. It was battle that lasted for over an hour and my spider won with the jumper walking off in defeat. I actually became very fond of it. Then one morning went into the bedroom and the web and spider had gone. My girlfriend told me she had brushed the cobwebs away with a long broom along with my pet spider. Heartbroken I was, my nightly friend and companion was gone. It reminded me of the film, Cast Away with Tom Hanks when he loses his football he named Wilson and goes into grief, that made me think I`ve been living in Thailand for too long.

..is there a 'web-site' for evicted spiders?

yikes! I managed to catch it and put it outside - nasty bite I read but harmless

mai chop mak mak

AND it kept jumping up to attack me... be glad not to see another one smile.png

"yikes! I managed to catch it and put it outside "

Good for you. I never could understand why so many people feel the need to smash spiders (or other small creatures) or empty a can of lethal "bug" spray on the poor things ... although sometimes the effort to "put them outside" can be quite entertaining.

Edited by Suradit69

Nature is harsh, there is a wasp that hunts the huntsman to sting it and turn it into a zombie with an egg injected into it, the larva eats its way out of the spider... I have seen the battle, the spider almost always looses and the stung spider is lead away by the wasp putting his fore legs in the spiders eyes.

I assume you mean 80mm across right?

If it's 80cm across, yes it's dangerous and you, family and friends should run for the hills screaming as you go as if you are all part of a B rate, giant spider horror movie.

Joking aside, it looks like a house spider to me. So, harmless I guess.

post-170560-0-86598700-1465271000_thumb.

this is what the australian huntsman looks like... your's looks very similar.

harmless but scary.

you can actually feel their 'grip' when they climb up your leg!

AHHHH! Why pick it up, it doesn't need to be in your hand to take a photo,,,

Check this video about a Huntsman Spider

Not sure who moved fastest, the spider, the Aussie clown or his daughter!

Very entertaining nevertheless. And hopefully the spider got away with all legs intact.

I was up in Ton Tan at our other house and hadn't been there for a month or so. I lifted the seat to pee and there was this strange black thing under the seat. So I got a broom and flipped it into the water and it jumped out of the toilet and freaked me out...it was bigger than my hand. Wife dispatched it. Now I always check for snakes and spiders...it seems some spiders can swim up through the toilet water and trap air on their legs to breathe........Freaky.

I like the header....."Spider found in Chiang Mai".....wonders will never cease methinks 555?

I sometimes wonder why people are curious about what is the name of a species they have co,me across, there are so many different ones in Thailoand what difference does it make, I personally wouldn't remember it for long even if I were told.

I like the header....."Spider found in Chiang Mai".....wonders will never cease methinks 555?

I sometimes wonder why people are curious about what is the name of a species they have co,me across, there are so many different ones in Thailoand what difference does it make, I personally wouldn't remember it for long even if I were told.

What an odd post, I will attempt to answer your question. The most practical reason to learn what species you are encountering is if it is a safety concern or not. After that basic interest, curiosity, etc. you know, knowlege.

80cm????

2.5 feet????

Surely not.

Should this read 8cm?

go to the back of the classroom for not reading the thread where this point was made and a correction given a loooooooong way back smile.png

Nothing constructive or useful to say?

Then zip it.