Connecting bus from Udon Thani to Vientiane?

Nayet

I just missed my Nok Air fly'n'ride from Bangkok to Vientiane via Udon, so now I'm flying out tonight with Air Asia instead, arriving at 9:30 pm. Is there any way I can catch a bus and get to the border tonight? I need to be at the embassy in Vientiane tomorrow morning, but I have booked a hotel and would thus prefer to arrive tonight.

The border closes at 10 pm and opens at 6 am. So your best option is probably to go to Nong Khai tonight - if you can find transport from Udon to there. And then early tomorrow find further transport to the border bridge and to Vientiane.

Nongkhai is the better option; tomorrow get a tuktuk to the bridge at the border, cross the border with the minibus, do Lao immigration and take a taxi straight to the consular section of the Thai embassy (which is at a different location, the consular section and the embassy)

Take a minibus from the parking of Robinson Department Store (Central Plaza) in Udon Thani at 6.00, at 7.00 you will be at the border crossing, >30 min to cross the border, at 8.30 you will stand in the line to the gate of the Embassy which opens at 9.00.

There is a direct bus from Mo Chit to Vientiane every evening. I think it leaves at 8:30pm. Show your passport when you buy the ticket at Mo Chit. No need to mess around with Udon or Nong Khai.

There is a bus every couple of hours from the baw kaw saw near Central in Udon that goes to the central market (Talat Sao) in Viang Chan (Vientiane). Or you can try the cramped mini-van mentioned above that leaves from Central Department store in Udon Thani. I don't know its arrival destination in Viang Chan.

Here's what I did: I took a minivan from the airport to Nong Khai and was dropped off at a hotel a few hundred yards from the border, so I was able to walk to the border from the hotel, then took the shuttle across the bridge and was then solicited to take a 200 Baht ride directly to the embassy.

Taking the bus from Mo Chit would have made little sense, especially since I'd already bought a ticket with Air Asia, plus why spend 12 hours on a bus when you can cover almost the same distance much faster, and at little additional cost, by air?

And why stay in Udon and then have to get up an hour earlier when the minivan can take you to the border the same evening?

Anyway, thanks for trying.

Archived