How much STUFF can I bring on an O-A Visa

I'm ticking off all the things the embassy needs to issue an O-A visa as my 9-year-old son and I will be moving back to Thailand. My son will enter on his Thai Passport which I have yet to secure at the embassy here in the USA and I will be entering with my USA passport. Between us, we get four suitcases weighing no more than 62 pounds each.

I'm planning on fitting my 27 Inch iMac into one suitcase and breaking down my desk chair and distributing it in the other three. Is there any difference to what one can bring in duty-free for personal belongings and is there a difference between him and me in what we can bring?

Nothing is exempt for you.. If you were shipping them in your son would be able to get some things in duty free. On same site see this. http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+used+or+secondhand+household+effects+/importingusedsecondhandhouseholdeffects+

Ok the iMac is his and the chair is mine. All they will see is pieces. My son has been studying abroad for 7 years.

The only time I've been stopped for a search in over 10 years was when I moved here 8 years ago, at Phuket International, with a trolley full of suitcases ...

Avoid eye contact and forge ahead and carry any breakables upstairs.

Edited by Evilbaz
  • Like 1

Nice chair by the way.

In 2006 I bought a very good Italian made office chair but it was nothing compared to the ErgoHuman Chair. I'm not sure I could something like this in Thailand.

Stuffing things in suitcases suggest you intend to bring it with you on your flight from the US . Unless you are very short of money why not get international removals to ship a crate of stuff for you .

I sent a crate of useful belongings , clothes etc. from Italy before coming , later another containing books from England . You may have to pay a little tax on arrival , I paid Bt2000 , then the transport to your home .

• Like 1

If you have a O-A visa when you come here then from:

http://www.legal-thailand.com/moving-to-thailand-household-goods.html

Once you have applied for your Thai visa be this a marriage visa which has been extended for 1 year or a retirement visa which has already been extended for 1 year then you have a period of 6 months to bring your goods in from your home country duty free.

Even if you fill a container and have it shipped your things are duty free, but if you sell them here in Thailand then you have to pay import duty.

Once you have applied for your Thai visa be this a marriage visa which has been extended for 1 year or a retirement visa which has already been extended for 1 year then you have a period of 6 months to bring your goods in from your home country duty free.

Even if you fill a container and have it shipped your things are duty free, but if you sell them here in Thailand then you have to pay import duty.

That info is out of date and is no longer correct. Read this from the Thai customs website. http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+used+or+secondhand+household+effects+/importingusedsecondhandhouseholdeffects+

Nothing is exempt for you.. If you were shipping them in your son would be able to get some things in duty free. On same site see this. http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+used+or+secondhand+household+effects+/importingusedsecondhandhouseholdeffects+

Ok the iMac is his and the chair is mine. All they will see is pieces. My son has been studying abroad for 7 years.

Yes, since your son has been studying overseas, he is allowed to bring back most items duty/tax free

Stuffing things in suitcases suggest you intend to bring it with you on your flight from the US . Unless you are very short of money why not get international removals to ship a crate of stuff for you .

I sent a crate of useful belongings , clothes etc. from Italy before coming , later another containing books from England . You may have to pay a little tax on arrival , I paid Bt2000 , then the transport to your home .

You were lucky. Moving here with my thai wife they charged us 45K THB there were two crates of supposedly exempt household stuff...beware.

You were lucky. Moving here with my thai wife they charged us 45K THB there were two crates of supposedly exempt household stuff...beware.

I shipped 4 large boxes, 30 Kg each, from UK on a METV for £320 and after asking on this forum, I expected to pay 15-20K Baht for import tax.

I received them 2 weeks ago, 5 weeks after shipping them, the shipping company did ring me to say they would deliver them at my condo on Wednesday did not turn up, the day after they were delivered while I was in Bangkok even though the terms and conditions were that I was at my address to take the delivery otherwise it would be another £50.

The boxes were opened and then sealed again at the port but not a Baht was asked for.

Perhaps it's the luck of the draw!

• Like 1

"... your goods in from your home country duty free. "

Not true.

Send everything as "used personal and household effects" and have an agent clear it for you and you won't pay very much duty, but it is definitely not duty free if you come here with the intention of retiring.

Better to get information from official Thai government websites and not things on visa agent websites that will inevitably be false or out of date.

Edited by Suradit69

bring the chair - i have bought many chairs in Thailand trying to find that perfect one i left behind, but none could compare. bring the chair!

The chair I purchased in Thailand was also a mesh chair from an Italian company. I purchased it from INDEX on Sukhumvit Pattaya. It was a fine chair, very comfortable, but nothing like this chair.

Did anyone read that it goes together with 3 bolts? That's a fine design. I think I can break it down and spread it among 3 suitcases. The heaviest part is the base and also the biggest. That's the one part I can buy anywhere in Thailand as it is universal.

The Thai's are not anywhere near the level of ergonomics that Europe and USA are.

Regardless, I bought the chair for $200.00 on eBay. I would guess buying the same chair in Thailand if available would cost me at least $800.00.

Why don't you sell it at a garage sale and buy a new chair here?

Geez..

That I wish to live in Thailand doesn't equate to I want to sit on a milk carton crate instead of a real desk chair.