Can you be Deported For wrong address on Work Permit ?

Hi Everyone

Short story is the wife was arrested and charged with working in the wrong place as her Employer was changing locations and had not changed the address on the work permit.Finger printed,photographed and jailed paid "Bail" of 20k which went to 50k when the Consul got involved.After court was done 2k fine BUT passport was retained by police who now say passport has to go to Immigration and could be deported for a 2k fine which was not even her fault

Advice Appreciated

OP, where are you located and what nationality is your wife?

Even when we sometimes believe that the employer should have done that, the holder of the work permit has to inform the DoL within 7 days.

It could be that she did a different job, different wages, etc..so they only followed their own law.

Please see: http://www.thaiworkpermit.com/thailand-work-permit.html

Best of luck for you guys !!!

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 2

Which is why I yawn when I hear that some Thailand college student has been tossed in jail and charged under sexual indecency laws in the US for taking pictures in a men's bathroom.

Each country has it's own stupid laws that unnecessarily ruin the life's of otherwise honest people from other nations.

But Quid Pro Quo. coffee1.gif You send one back; we send one back.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

Updating a work permit is the responsibility of the holder, not the employer.

Maximum fine of 20k and the possibility of the work permit being revoked. Deportation is another matter however.

Here is the warning that is at the back of your wife's work permit.

post-234880-0-29817000-1465306043_thumb.

Sorry about your predicament but can you give me some insight into the type of work the work permit covered.

So many are technically breaking this category but I wonder if she was singled out because of a borderline occupation - such as tourist trade?

Thanks

• Like 1

I take the risk of sounding stupid...

"for presenting to the competent official"

How to know ?

Maybe it would be better to list the "competent officials" by name probably only a page or two extra in the book biggrin.png

That would make the WP a burden to carry with you ? because how many "officials" would be considered being "competent" ? Could be a very thick book...

• Like 1