Age to Marry in Thailand

Hi,

I'm wondering about the age at which one can marry legally in Thailand. I know that the age at which one can marry is 17, but is this with parental consent? Do the parents have to be present, if so?

I'm wondering about the scenario for two 18 year olds to marry in Thailand. If one is foreign, and one is a Thai national, what would be required?

Thanks!

This topic might help

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/921884-can-a-70-year-old-marry-a-17-year-old-famous-lawyer-gives-his-verdict-on-facebook/

Parental consent is always good and one also needs to negotiate the dowry.

A friends son (17) got married to a girl 18 (who he got pregnant) and they got married (both with parental consent)

However this was a "village" wedding, not one were you sign at the Amphur.

Edit: One thing that will be required of the Foreign National is a confirmation from the Embassy that he is single and this document needs to be translated into Thai and then legalized at the MFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) in BKK.

Edited by MJCM

The Amphoe requires if either party is under 20 years, the parents' presence or written permission (Thai translation is necessary if not in Thai).

Once married both of you will not be minors, if under 20.

Didn't you say you'll be leaving this country? You worked it all out?

Edited by Morakot

The Amphoe requires if either party is under 20 years, the parents' presence or written permission (Thai translation is necessary if not in Thai).

Did you say you'll be leaving this country? You worked it all out?

Yes, I'm going to be leaving soon. It all worked out, as they are no longer going to pursue court action. However, the condition is that I leave Thailand at least for a while. This topic, I was wondering what would be needed for the future, as there is a better, more viable, plan then.

Thank you for your help with both :)

You'll need a document called certificate of nubility from your home country that you're not married, which has to be translated into Thai.

You'll have to go to the Amphur ( district office) with two witnesses ( her dad and uncle would be great) and get this document which will have to be translated into the language of your country for your embassy.

What's required? You usually have to pay "Sinn Sot" to her parents, a marriage Buddhist style including monks will have to be organized as well.

Sinn Sot depends on the wealth of the family, but is usually returned to you. That includes some good money, gold, etc....

But if i were you, I'd just live a little bit longer with the girl/ woman to find out how she really is, before even thinking about marriage.

Love is a crazy thing.

Is the foreigner under the age of majority (as defined by their home country)?

If so, their embassy in Thailand might not issue an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry without parental consent.

Edited by blackcab

This topic might help

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/921884-can-a-70-year-old-marry-a-17-year-old-famous-lawyer-gives-his-verdict-on-facebook/

Parental consent is always good and one also needs to negotiate the dowry.

A friends son (17) got married to a girl 18 (who he got pregnant) and they got married (both with parental consent)

However this was a "village" wedding, not one were you sign at the Amphur.

Edit: One thing that will be required of the Foreign National is a confirmation from the Embassy that he is single and this document needs to be translated into Thai and then legalized at the MFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) in BKK.

I didn't need any thing from the embassy to say I was single, but they required me to produce a confirmation of a divorce from a previous marriage, In Australia. This does seem a bit meaningless to me as I could have married again since the previous divorce.