Rotary Tiller And Lawn Mower

KhunDennis

Hello all, I live in the Ubon area and am wanting to buy a new Rotary tiller , the type with two wheels and front or rear blades with anound five HP. The kind used for home gardening. Also I want a lawn mower with a good sized bagger on it. I have not seen any around Ubon.

Would any of you good folk know where I might buy these things, am willing to have them shipped from Bangkok if needed. Thanks for any help on this.

I think if you look back through the farming forum you'll find there was an in depth discussion on the 2 wheel tractors. If its not the farming forum try Chiang Mai forum. I've never seen one with a rotary tiller, they mostly use a plough blade.

When you talk about a lawnmower with a big collection bag do you mean a ride on mower ? If so a friend of mine has been looking for a while & not managed to turn one up, so if you find one I'd be interested to hear.

Home works at Central Bang Na has motor mowers though I am not sure about the bags for catching the grass but I also have never seen a rotary tiller.

The market would be very small and mostly farangs as out in the boonies we tend to use either the iron buffalo (it runs forever and doesn't require TLC from a girlfriend) or tractors depending on the area that requires the ploughing.

Khun Dennis,

I know the kind of rototiller you are looking for....honda, sears, and many less well known companies make them and they are common in the US. I've been looking for one too and the closest I've found was a rather large model made in Thailand and it looked like you would need 7 or 8 hp gas motor for it....I didn't like the design; it looked top heavy and the horizontal shaft that powered the blades was a solid shaft about 1.5 inch in diameter and it looked undersized to me and likely to bend......so I didn't buy it. Kubota makes a two wheeled tractor just like the ones people plow with but it has a rototiller built onto the back. It looked heavy duty but not really small enough or maneuverable enough for the small garden setting. For large plot seed bed preperation it would probably be great but then most people who have alot of this kind of work just buy a small 4 wheel tractor with the tiller attachment.

If you find a small rototiller please let me know and if I find one I'll be sure to post it here too.

Chownah

i bought a walk behind type small roto-tiller a couple of years ago at the "farmer fair" in khon kaen. no wheels, just a cast steel bar, acts lie a rudder, you can set it at different heights. it has about a .6/m width of the rotating blades. i think i paid 28000b for it.( a bit too much, IMO) it's good for small projects but forget about using it if the ground is dry, you might as well try and cultivate a concrete sidewalk. you either use it after a rain, or thoroughly wet the ground first. works good then, but a lot of work just the same. (how i miss the black soil back home) i'd been looking for one everywhere, never seen one until the fair, so i scooped it up.

anyhow , if i was home i'd know for sure but it either said "patong" or "patpong" on the sticker that was on it, and i THINK it was from udon thani. i'm home in 4 days, if the sticker has a contact # or any info, i'll pass it on

turnpike

You may wish to look at the BCS range of “walk behind tractors” and the various sized tillers that can be attached – which I can supply in 14 -21 days.

My pricing is approx. 10% above the listed price delivered to your door (inclusive of all import duties and delivery)

Various walk behind tractors

www.bcs-america.com/tractors.cqs

Various attachments

www.bcs-america.com/attachments.cqs

Go to the following webpage to view the various sized tillers that can be purchased seperately for attachment

www.bcs-america.com/attachments_details.cqs?catid=d0ceb4ea9bdbfe2a07d5d9be01a12287

PM me if interested – or want any brochures.

Hello all, I live in the Ubon area and am wanting to buy a new Rotary tiller , the type with two wheels and front or rear blades with anound five HP. The kind used for home gardening. Also I want a lawn mower with a good sized bagger on it. I have not seen any around Ubon.

Would any of you good folk know where I might buy these things, am willing to have them shipped from Bangkok if needed. Thanks for any help on this.

Is something like this what you're talking about?

http://www.chertseytoolhire.co.uk/hireitem...pelled/268.html

They sell something similar to this at my local farm equipment supply store in Chiang Mai. Next time I'm that way I'll check out specs and price.

Yeah, that looks like the kind although I'm looking for one that is even smaller than that one but one similar to that would be good if the price was right. From my experience I would say that the one shown weighs about 200 pounds...I'd like to find one that has maybe a 5 horse motor and weighs about 100 pounds.....but you definitely have the correct item there so I'm anxiously awaiting the specs and prices.....thanks in advance..

Chownah

Yeah, that looks like the kind although I'm looking for one that is even smaller than that one but one similar to that would be good if the price was right. From my experience I would say that the one shown weighs about 200 pounds...I'd like to find one that has maybe a 5 horse motor and weighs about 100 pounds.....but you definitely have the correct item there so I'm anxiously awaiting the specs and prices.....thanks in advance..

Chownah

Hi chownah,

The bigger, heavier rototiller I described was not in stock when i was at the farm supply shop today. I'd say it was 150kg w/10hp motor and probably too big anyway from what you say you're looking for.

They did have this in stock however:

http://www.cultivator.com.tw/p2.html

The SS-500 model was 49k Baht with 6hp motor and various attachments

The TS-628 model 52k Baht with 6hp motor and various attachments.

The difference between the two, from what I coud tell is that the TS-628 model has only one drive wheel, so that it can cultivate between rows.

These ar much lighter than the rototillers I'd seen previously, and while they would probably do a very fine job on tilling/cultivating previously cultivated areas, I'm not sure they have enough MASS to be terribly helpful if you had to work in soil that had not been tilled or plowed previously.

Edited by lannarebirth

Lannarebirth,

Thanks for getting the info. The ones in the link that you say are available look pretty good. I'm sort of interested in the ss-500 model but the price is kind of high so I'll think about it....maybe I'm spoiled but similar machines in the US go for about $600 to $800 as near as I can tell by just looking at specs on the internet. I already have a 9 hp diesel kubota two wheel tractor so I don't need the heavier tiller because I would plow or disc first with the kubota.

Thanks again,

Chownah

Lannarebirth,

Thanks for getting the info. The ones in the link that you say are available look pretty good. I'm sort of interested in the ss-500 model but the price is kind of high so I'll think about it....maybe I'm spoiled but similar machines in the US go for about $600 to $800 as near as I can tell by just looking at specs on the internet. I already have a 9 hp diesel kubota two wheel tractor so I don't need the heavier tiller because I would plow or disc first with the kubota.

Thanks again,

Chownah

No problem, I had to go there for a weedwhacker attachment for cutting rice stalks anyway. That website has an inquiry secdtion. You may find you can get it sent factory direct with or without engine at considerable savings. I don't know.

Lannarebirth,

Thanks again,

Chownah

No problem, I had to go there for a weedwhacker attachment for cutting rice stalks anyway. That website has an inquiry secdtion. You may find you can get it sent factory direct with or without engine at considerable savings. I don't know.

Is that weed whacker attachment for cutting the rice stalks left in the ground after the rice has been harvested or fro harvesting the rice, and what is it? Thanks Issangeorge

Lannarebirth,

Thanks again,

Chownah

Is that weed whacker attachment for cutting the rice stalks left in the ground after the rice has been harvested or fro harvesting the rice, and what is it? Thanks Issangeorge

Hi George,

It's an attachment that is mounted on a brushcutter and is used for harvesting rice. I don't know if it will be any better, faster, easier than the old fashioned method, but I thought I'd give it a try if it could lessen my staffs labors somewhat. Looks like this:

http://powereagle.en.alibaba.com/product/5...er/showimg.html

Anyone used one before? Work good/not good? I'll know in a few days.

Ken

Lannarebirth,

Thanks again,

Chownah

Hi George,

It's an attachment that is mounted on a brushcutter and is used for harvesting rice. I don't know if it will be any better, faster, easier than the old fashioned method, but I thought I'd give it a try if it could lessen my staffs labors somewhat. Looks like this:

Ken

Thanks Ken, our rice is in for this year but I always thought the bush wacker would work better than the hand powered cycle for harvesting. Please let me know how it works for you. George.

• 2 years later...
You may wish to look at the BCS range of “walk behind tractors” and the various sized tillers that can be attached – which I can supply in 14 -21 days.

My pricing is approx. 10% above the listed price delivered to your door (inclusive of all import duties and delivery)

Various walk behind tractors

www.bcs-america.com/tractors.cqs

Various attachments

www.bcs-america.com/attachments.cqs

Go to the following webpage to view the various sized tillers that can be purchased seperately for attachment

www.bcs-america.com/attachments_details.cqs?catid=d0ceb4ea9bdbfe2a07d5d9be01a12287

PM me if interested – or want any brochures.

Maize - can you get replacement blades for a 718 tiller?

rgds

Lannarebirth,

Thanks again,

Chownah

Hi George,

Ken

I couldn't get this specific http to come up. Here's a trick that I don't know if anyone knows about but has been an excellent tool for me with brush cutters (weed wackers). Purchase a table saw (circular saw) blade with carborundum teeth on it (the more the better). Also if you know any carpenter their old blades that don't work for them are just perfect as dull teeth or teeth missing aren't a problem. Being a born idiot and getting stupider by the day I have modified some such that I use even a larger diameter blade than the original blades and have had good luck. You will have to then go to your local welder if you don't have the tools to drill (or modify) the center hole to the proper fit and you'll cut anything and everything. Three to six inch diameter brush or trees are gone in an instant anything less tha that even faster. The blades last forever and the purchase of the cheapest blades ($5-10 US) work just fine and a nice 80 tooth works sweet and dandy. Remember ALWAYS WEAR FULL PROTECTIVE GOGGLES (YEAH i KNOW IT'S HOT, TOUGH LUCK) LONG PANTS, GOOD BOOTS (THE HIGHER THE BETTER, COWBOY BOOTS ARE JUST FINE) AND CUTTING CHAPS IF YOU HAVE THEM. Don't forget your ear protection. These blades will cut through soft stone but that isn't what it's for and hitting heavy steel and granite type rocks will break off teeth. With any equipment in cultivation and working land KNOW YOUR LAND AND DO A WALK AROUND FIRST. Nobody will bring back to life the man in Mexico my friend ran over with the tractor that was passed out drunk under a bush on some new land that he was clearing. SAFETY FIRST! I have never been struck by a broken tooth but I've broken many and you can never be too safe. Good luck wacking away. fords forever

Chownah

Hi chownah,

The bigger, heavier rototiller I described was not in stock when i was at the farm supply shop today. I'd say it was 150kg w/10hp motor and probably too big anyway from what you say you're looking for.

They did have this in stock however:

http://www.cultivator.com.tw/p2.html

The SS-500 model was 49k Baht with 6hp motor and various attachments

The TS-628 model 52k Baht with 6hp motor and various attachments.

The difference between the two, from what I coud tell is that the TS-628 model has only one drive wheel, so that it can cultivate between rows.

These ar much lighter than the rototillers I'd seen previously, and while they would probably do a very fine job on tilling/cultivating previously cultivated areas, I'm not sure they have enough MASS to be terribly helpful if you had to work in soil that had not been tilled or plowed previously.

Howdy folks

I've got a 2.3 meter Howard rotovator (did you know that is the longest word that can be spelled the same either forwards or backwards??) that I use behind a 90 hp Ford. That must make me the coolest guy right. Yeah. Anyway i grew up on "rodeo"- tillers as we called them and had some darn near pre-WWII belt driven models I managed to fix and use. Unequivocably a rear bladed tiller is the machine you want to own if it can fit your size and price range. Front bladed models don't work the ground as well are more difficult to control and just more dangerous and body beating in their design and application. there was many a time I needed to pull a front bladed rototiller backwards to get it to effectively turn the ground. With any tiller the ground has to be 'CORRECT" to operate the equipment no matter what type or size you use (big hp will overcome deficiencies in soils that are not proper and correct). Type of soil and it's moisture content are essentil to operating and achieving your desired results. Too wet you bog down and gum up and too dry you'll go shallow and bounce and dust up (when you make dust you are giving your neighbors a gift of your prized top soil). Chownah I understand your situation and had to deal with not being able to get a rear tiller due to size weight and cost constraints as it seems that the lower the hp the more often they use front tillers. With your ground pre-worked with your bigger tractor it makes working with a smaller one logical, all I can say is that if you were to find two to buy and fit your need I would pay the extra $1-200 more to get the rear tiller model due to the above reasons. Ironically in the US that situation many times added nearly 50+% on to the price and is and was a deterent for many. Good luck be safe and remember blood is a good fertilizer as long as it isn't yours or your companions.

A friend of mine who lives in Krabi has had many problems with lawn mowers. He has worn out several of them. This time he bought a self propelled Honda rear bagger. He is not real free spending so I was quite surprised that he spent 27,000 baht on that mower.

post-58663-1230644176_thumb.jpg post-58663-1230644037_thumb.jpg

Is this of any help?? Currently on display at the Si Saket show--- very good--- which runs until about the 6th I am told---tig

A friend of mine who lives in Krabi has had many problems with lawn mowers. He has worn out several of them. This time he bought a self propelled Honda rear bagger. He is not real free spending so I was quite surprised that he spent 27,000 baht on that mower.

When it comes to small lawn mowers I think it's hard to beat a Snapper deck with a Honda engine mounted on it. This is what all the commercial guys used back in CA. But, I'm looking for replacement tiller blades, not a mower.

rgds and Happy New Year