Bringing My PS4 through the airport

A PS4 is not a forbidden object of any kind.

It's marketed in Thailand too.

Worst case would be that you are stopped and have to pay customs if you can't convince them it's a personal item, holiday past-time.

Probability?

Is it

1:1000?

1:10000?

Where does your flight come from? Are you a caucasian/western looking guy?

(don't treat this as racist but it is surely a criteria for the customs officers).

Edited by KhunBENQ

They just ask what it is when they scan it.

Then when you tell them, they wave you through.

Didn't even open the case.

Now in LHR, they unpacked the case (hand baggage) and sent it through the scanner again on it's own.

Edited by MissAndry

Your post refers to security check.

I understood that the OP wants to bring a PS4 to Thailand in his baggage and is afraid of customs?

As written: very unlikely that you are stopped and even than it is a personal item!

I understood that the OP wants to bring a PS4 to Thailand in his baggage and is afraid of customs?

As written: very unlikely that you are stopped and even than it is a personal item!

Yes, and customs showed no interest in me or my luggage at all, only security.

Despite me having a 'similar item' in my case.

Edited by MissAndry

Just put in in the check-in baggage, you'll be fine, did it as well with my PS4 bought in Thailand. But I guess you want to claim back your VAT and that's why you want it in hand luggage?

Edited by wump

Yes, and customs showed no interest in me or my luggage at all, only security.

Despite me having a 'similar item' in my case.

No stupid questions about what is a PS4 yet. (what is it? Is it like a PSX?)

Make that "PCx".

One more try, PCX.

Edited by sandgroper2

I did it with my ps4 out through suvarnabhumi and into melbourne.

I had a quick look at the time and it seemed quite simple that there was no reason why you couldn't.

I wasn't going to leave my pride and joy in checked baggage at the mercy of baggage handlers though. So I took it (i think just the box bit) through immigration in carry on with no issue.

However when I go though the scanners I always put everything from my pockets in bag first and when they ask me if I have a laptop or ipad I always tell them no regardless of the devices I have inside. Reason being I know there is an issue with quick fingered security at bkk grabbing whatever they feel like. So I feel it safer and slows them down elimanates that risk of theft.

I did google this awhile ago and apparently the main reason is something to do with the scanner screwing with a devices hard drive (but dont they still send them through anyway?). Anyway I done it loads of times and never had a wiped/damaged hard drive.

And no issue on that day taking my ps4 through.

You think the security people manning the scanner are going to steal your laptop?

That's about the most ridiculous, paranoid thing I've ever heard. Take it out of your bag like they ask and stop holding up the queue for the rest of us.

Reason being I know there is an issue with quick fingered security at bkk grabbing whatever they feel like. So I feel it safer and slows them down elimanates that risk of theft.

Really? First I've heard of it.

Blimey, they would have to be quick fingered to conceal a laptop. Notwithstanding, staff are subject to the same levels of security as you or I.

Jeez, I thought I'd heard it all. Obviously not.

Reason being I know there is an issue with quick fingered security at bkk grabbing whatever they feel like. So I feel it safer and slows them down elimanates that risk of theft.

Blimey, they would have to be quick fingered to conceal a laptop. Notwithstanding, staff are subject to the same levels of security as you or I.

I think first I heard of it was through thaivisa news a couple of years ago. I dunno where that story is but

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120811094110AAy5VBl

http://uncorneredmarket.com/robbed-sticky-fingers-at-bangkoks-suvarnabhumi-airport/

my experience of laptop stealing was in singapore when about to fly singapore air to bangkok.

as you know it is common to place your hand luggage on a conveyor belt which takes it thru the scanner and then out at the other end,

no receipt is given and passengers are trusted to pick up their own hand luggage.

meanwhile the passenger is expected to pass thru the body scanner.

what a gang will do is to pass thru as a large group so as to delay the queue.

meanwhile you the mark are without your luggage which has already been scanned.

the gang will then pick up their luggage and your laptop.

when i informed the check in staff about what had happened they were anxious to play down the incident.

they told me that i could search the overhead lockers which i did,

when i got to the rear of the aircraft there was a gang member holding my laptop and another laptop.

i asked whether they had stolen the other laptop also.

once again the boarding staff were quick to play down the incident.

they did not want to involve the police.

so watch your luggage if you are behind a big group.

I think first I heard of it was through thaivisa news a couple of years ago. I dunno where that story is but

http://uncorneredmarket.com/robbed-sticky-fingers-at-bangkoks-suvarnabhumi-airport/

So now you've progressed from your original assertion of "I know there is an issue with quick fingered security at bkk grabbing whatever they feel like" to two links of dubious origin.

Seriously, this is complete nonsense and you really should desist from the line that security are grabbing whatever they feel like based on two dodgy links.

My wife and I return to the UK on Thursday and I can guarantee you that we will arrive at LHR with our valuables fully intact.

It's a well known fact that if you do lose anything then it will be from checked baggage, which is God's way of telling you not to leave valuables in your suitcases. Even then, there's more chance that any valuables left in your suitcase will be damaged, and not stolen, by baggage handlers launching your cases from one end of the terminal to the other.

Come on, get a grip.

Edited by wooloomooloo

So now you've progressed from your original assertion of "I know there is an issue with quick fingered security at bkk grabbing whatever they feel like" to two links of dubious origin.

Seriously, this is complete nonsense and you really should desist from the line that security are grabbing whatever they feel like based on two dodgy links.

My wife and I return to the UK on Thursday and I can guarantee you that we will arrive at LHR with our valuables fully intact.

It's a well known fact that if you do lose anything then it will be from checked baggage, which is God's way of telling you not to leave valuables in your suitcases. Even then, there's more chance that any valuables left in your suitcase will be damaged, and not stolen, by baggage handlers launching your cases from one end of the terminal to the other.

Come on, get a grip.

Progressed? You seem interested in the topic.

Seriously it is nonsense. Case closed.

God told me put in suitcase. I will do. Amen.

Have a nice trip

It's fine to bring game consoles and larger electronics through airport security as long as it's within the size and weight allowances set by your airline. You may have to remove it from your bag and have it x-rayed separately like a laptop, but otherwise you should have no problems. Never put valuable items in checked luggage, they are subjected to rough handling, getting lost and a greater chance of theft

I did it with my ps4 out through suvarnabhumi and into melbourne.

I had a quick look at the time and it seemed quite simple that there was no reason why you couldn't.

I wasn't going to leave my pride and joy in checked baggage at the mercy of baggage handlers though. So I took it (i think just the box bit) through immigration in carry on with no issue.

However when I go though the /scanners I always put everything from my pockets in bag first and when they ask me if I have a laptop or ipad I always tell them no regardless of the devices I have inside. Reason being I know there is an issue with quick fingered security at bkk grabbing whatever they feel like. So I feel it safer and slows them down elimanates that risk of theft.

I did google this awhile ago and apparently the main reason is something to do with the scanner screwing with a devices hard drive (but do

nt they still send them through anyway?). Anyway I done it loads of times and never had a wiped/damaged hard drive.

And no issue on that day taking my ps4 through.

Brought my PS3 in, years ago (5), before they were released here. Had it well rapped up in my well secured main baggage. No probs.

As for hand luggage, every time (approx 10) they only ask me to take out my laptop, and tell me foriPads or similar tablets I need not do this. Why, I don't know.

Stolen notebooks at X-ray checks are no urban myths. I had one stolen from me in Abu Dhabi.

By the time I passed the detection gate, it had been picked up by someone at the end the of scanner belt. Of course absolutely no one was interested in hearing my complaint. I tried walking through the duty free shops and gates looking for my bag but these things look all alike.

Now I always make sure to check if there's no one likely to hold me ahead before putting the notebook on the belt and I always put it as the very last of my items, after my cabin luggage, belt, shoes, notebook bag etc.

This, plus there's a very big recognizable sticker on the notebook bag.

Edited by Lannig

Easy. The guy (or lady) in front of you makes the detector beep, he/she is asked to empty his/her pockets and go through, beeps again, asked to remove belt/necklace/whatever and try again.... etc. In many cases you're not allowed to overtake him/her. Waste 30-45 seconds and your cabin luggage can be out of sight enough time for someone to grab a computer.

Every frequent flyer has lived this kind of situation countless times.

That's why I always try waiting until the passenger ahead of me has passed through the detection gate before I put my computer on the belt. Not always possible, but I minimize the risks by putting it as my very last item.