Orlando nightclub shooting: Talking gun control at a shooting range

webfact

Orlando nightclub shooting: Talking gun control at a shooting range
By Philippa Thomas
BBC News, Arizona

PHOENIX: - As Americans in the west woke up to the awful news from Florida, I was on my way to the Ben Avery shooting range in the desert north of Phoenix Arizona, to meet three gun enthusiasts - Carol Ruh, president of the Arizona Ladies Shooting Association, her husband Pete Ruh, and the group's Treasurer Debbie Arnold.

Carol, a licensed instructor, teaches gun safety. She had brought a selection to show me from her collection of nearly 50 weapons, including exactly the type of firearm used in the Pulse nightclub, the AR15 semi automatic rifle.

Carol bought it to take part in an Arizona state competition that involves target shooting at 200 yards.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36514354

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2016-06-13

He was a security guard employed by a firm that has access to the gun used in the shooting.

No amount of gun restrictions would have stopped him getting a gun from his work.

and as a licensed security guard he had a permit. I haven't seen the pro gun control people spouting this fact

He was a security guard employed by a firm that has access to the gun used in the shooting.

No amount of gun restrictions would have stopped him getting a gun from his work.

and as a licensed security guard he had a permit. I haven't seen the pro gun control people spouting this fact

So, do you think the average rent-a-guard should be allowed to carry the sort of weaponry he had?

So, do you think the average rent-a-guard should be allowed to carry the sort of weaponry he had?

A torch and a notepad is all someone in that role needs, assuming he could actually write.

A torch and a notepad is all someone in that role needs, assuming he could actually write.

I understand the company he worked for provided all sorts of armed security services.

What he needed for his particular job role is not relevant to this discussion.

He had access through his employment and his coworkers.

As the FBI seemed to be providing the perpetrator directly with weapons the whole discussion is moot.

"The role of the FBI in Mateen obtaining his weapons will never be known since Mateen is now - conveniently - dead. Even if he purchased them "legally" at a gun store, it should be noted that in other FBI entrapment cases, suspects were encouraged to purchase weapons themselves, with the FBI arresting them only after they left gun stores with their newly acquired arsenal."

Edited by MissAndry

Reports are he purchased the AR-15 a few days before the shooting with no background check required. An FBI check might have stopped the purchase, it certainly would have made it harder for him to get it. His employment had nothing to do with his access to the fire arms used.

TH