Words/phrases for ordering ice cream.

Grawburg

Hi everyone. I'm a few years out of LOS so I'm a bit rusty, but I need help ordering ice cream. The Dairy Queen in the small North Carolina beach town I visit has 2 Thai guys working there. I want to order ice cream in Thai to surprise them.

Can you help me translate these phrases...I have no idea how to say "cone" or what the classifiers for ice cream are. :) You can give me the translations in Thai script, but would you please put spaces between the words so I can see it more clearly? Thanks.

Can I have two small vanilla cones dipped in chocolate?

Can I have a hot fudge sundae?

For most of these words Thai would just use English.

I would probably say it like this:

Can I have two small vanilla cones dipped in chocolate?

เอา ไอติม วานิลลา สอง โคน เล็ก จิ้ม ช็อกโกแลต ครับ

Can I have a hot fudge sundae?

เอา ฮอต ฟัดจ์ ซันเดย์ ครับ

You can change เอา for ขอ if you want to be really formal and polite.

Eric, Well done on not saying ไอซครีม it prompts me to ask if you think that we should always be polite?

It maybe a generational thing but to me เอา predominately means 'bring me', more like an order.

I agree that you may as well say it in English and take the opportunity of asking the staff how they would say that in Thai.

Interesting on 2 points....

1) Why wouldn't you use ไอซครีม? That's the way I always heard it said around BKK (maybe I was hanging around the wrong kinds of folks. :))

2) Any reason to use "เอา " vs "ขอ"?

Eric, Well done on not saying ไอซครีม it prompts me to ask if you think that we should always be polite?

It maybe a generational thing but to me เอา predominately means 'bring me', more like an order.

I agree that you may as well say it in English and take the opportunity of asking the staff how they would say that in Thai.

afaik เอา with food is completely standard even in semi-formal settings.

เอา becomes a non-formal "bring me" for non-food items

The only time I have ever heard, ไอติม used is when its spoken by children or adults speaking to children, no Thai adult would ever use the phrase.