Looking for DVD player with mp4

SamMunich

I'm looking for a DVD-Player or something alike that allows me to play *.mp4 files from an USB Stick on my TV, which unfortunatelly does not support mp4 format. So I have to use an external device and hook it up with either these 3 colored chinch plugs or with HDMI.

Anybody any idea, where I can buy such a device and what brand/model that would be?

Most of the very cheap no brand name ( or Chinese brand ) DVD players will play every region coded DVD's as well as Jpeg,Mpeg1 and 2 MP3, AVI, DIVX and MP4

lots of expensive brand name DVD players are region locked and don't play anything other than MP3 and Jpeg

Take your USB stick with some sample MP4 and ask the shop to demonstrate the player working with your MP4s.

Hi IMHO, what would that look like, that "A 900 Baht Android TV box with the free VLC player software would probably be all you'd need.", as I have never heard of or seen such a device.

Basically I d'l the stuff (legally) from the Net and copy to USB, because watching it sitting on a sofa and watching it on a bigger screen is better than sitting in an office chair in front of my PC.

I have no issues with regional locks.

At the momnent I have to convert mp4 files to Xvid files, which takes quite some time and the result is miserable. So some solution must be found...

Hi IMHO, what would that look like, that "A 900 Baht Android TV box with the free VLC player software would probably be all you'd need.", as I have never heard of or seen such a device. Basically I d'l the stuff (legally) from the Net and copy to USB, because watching it sitting on a sofa and watching it on a bigger screen is better than sitting in an office chair in front of my PC. I have no issues with regional locks. At the momnent I have to convert mp4 files to Xvid files, which takes quite some time and the result is miserable. So some solution must be found...

It looks like this:

http://www.lazada.co.th/mxq/?dir=asc&searchredirect=mxq&sort=priceasc

After turning it on, go to the Google Play store on it and download VLC Player and/or MX Player - both will do the job of playing back your files on the USB stick. If you want to get even more out of the box you could start having a look at apps like Kodi, Netflix, iFlix, iLikeHD etc or maybe even some games ;)

Thanks for the lead. I followed it and the web site does not offer any stores or such, where I could take a look at the box. Are they on sale at Panthip and such places? I wouldn't want to order one without have taken a closer look, esp. as these are something absolutely new to me. Or are they also at Big-C, Lotus and alike to be found?

Thanks for the lead. I followed it and the web site does not offer any stores or such, where I could take a look at the box. Are they on sale at Panthip and such places? I wouldn't want to order one without have taken a closer look, esp. as these are something absolutely new to me. Or are they also at Big-C, Lotus and alike to be found?

You will for sure find them for sale at Pantip/MBK.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks IMHO and Sometime, I meanwhile got me a box, that works fine so far.

It's a Loetech Smart Box Quad Core 1. It comes with 2 USB slots, which can also be used for mouse or keyboard. A HDMI and a "conventional 3 colored connector cable" and a remote (incl. batteries) are also in the box.

It runs on Android and though I haven't checked that out it seems to have a local harddisk, but of unknown size. It also allows for WiFi access and for direct to Internet connection, i.e. "playing" internet on the TV screen.

Got it in Pathip for 1.900 Baht.

So far I'm content with what I got.

Thanks and cheers,

Sam

Archived