$100 Bills

bluedragon

Coming to thailand and I need to know what serial numbers and or years of $100 bills are no good for exhanging into baht??? Regards, BD

I know it is a pain, but many places will not accept US$100 notes. On the other hand, if you find a place that does take them, they do not worry about the year / S/N. Banks in Au simply don't accept any US$100 as it is easier than checking the year or number, this frustrates the sailors on R&R who have taken money out of the ATM on board their ship.

One has to ask why carry cash, yes I know cash is king, but given the challenges and the ease you can get advances on a credit card or access to your money with an ATM why risk cash?

Coming to thailand and I need to know what serial numbers and or years of $100 bills are no good for exhanging into baht??? Regards, BD

I know it is a pain, but many places will not accept US$100 notes. On the other hand, if you find a place that does take them, they do not worry about the year / S/N. Banks in Au simply don't accept any US$100 as it is easier than checking the year or number, this frustrates the sailors on R&R who have taken money out of the ATM on board their ship.

One has to ask why carry cash, yes I know cash is king, but given the challenges and the ease you can get advances on a credit card or access to your money with an ATM why risk cash?

Chang paarp, the last time I was in Bk, some of the money exchanges would not take certain $100 bills, I believe is was by some year, but don't remember... Regards, Bd

:o

Serial numbers are not the problem, the series year on the bill is.

When I came to Thailand last fall I brought $100 bills. The majority of exchange booths would not take bills with a series date before 2001 and most preferred a later date. When I returned to BKK last May I brought $100 bills again but nothing earlier than series 2001 and I had no problem exchanging them for baht.

:o

Serial numbers are not the problem, the series year on the bill is.

When I came to Thailand last fall I brought $100 bills. The majority of exchange booths would not take bills with a series date before 2001 and most preferred a later date. When I returned to BKK last May I brought $100 bills again but nothing earlier than series 2001 and I had no problem exchanging them for baht.

Over a period of months in Pattaya and Bangkok I exchanged $10,000 in $100 bills and only had a problem once. It was an inexperienced cashier at a money changer that was "afraid" to accept 1996 bills. I took it to a busy changer and didn't have any problem.

My bills were an assortment from the 90's and 00's. Usually 1996 bills attract some attention, but I find the money changers were mostly very experienced and know a geniune bill when they see one.

If your notes are geniune (I received all mine from the Citibank with serial numbers), then bring as many as you like....you'll not have any trouble in tourist areas.

Edited by tropo

I can't remember ever being turned down when exchanging $100 bills for Thai Baht, guess I just didn't have any of the questionable bills. When I pick up my cash from my home town bank I tell the clerk to ONLY give me the newer $100 bills with the the "big head" on them. They seem to work okay for me.

(For Thailand, I prefer travellers checks, especially because I get them commission free from my credit union.)