Chulalongkorn among Asia’s top 50 universities

webfact

Chulalongkorn among Asia’s top 50 universities

pb51.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Chulalongkorn University was ranked among Asia's top 50 universities in the latest 2016 QS University Rankings released this week.

It climbed from 53rd position last year to 45th this year to be on the top of Thailand’s best university.

Mahidol University which was the country’s top university last year dropped from 44th place to 61st position in the QS World University Rankings 2016 in Asia.

Coming on top of the 350 universities entering the ranking is the National University of Singapore.

Thammasat University came 101th place, up 42 positions from 2015, followed by Chiang Mai and Kasetsart universities.

Rankings of all Thai universities are as follow:

45. Chalulongkorn University score 69.8

61. Mahidol University score 62.5

101. Thammasat University Score 47.4

104. Chiang Mai University score 47

129. Kasetsart University score 40.9

161. King Monkut’s University of Technology Thonburi score 35

165. Khon Kaen University score 34.3

185. Prince of Songkla University score 31.8

251 – 300 King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology Ladkrabang

251-300 Suranaree University of Technology

301-350 King Mongkut’s University of Technoloty North Bangkok

301-350 Naresuan University

301-350 Srinakharinwirot University

The methodology used to create the ranking is similar to that used for the QS World University Rankings, but with some additional indicators and adapted weightings.This set of criteria, developed in consultation with regional experts and stakeholders, is designed to reflect key priorities for universities in Asia, drawing on as much available data as possible.

The nine indicators used to compile the QS University Rankings: Asia are as follows:

Academic reputation (30%)

Employer reputation (20%)

Faculty/student ratio (15%)

Citations per paper (10%) and papers per faculty (10%)

Staff with a PhD (5%)

Proportion of international faculty (2.5%) and proportion of international students (2.5%)

Proportion of inbound exchange students (2.5%) and proportion of outbound exchange students (2.5%)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/chulalongkorn-among-asias-top-50-universities/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-14

Presumably, the percentage figures at the bottom are the relative components of the overall score.

In which case, I have bad news.

It only adds up to 90%.

There's a certain inevitability to that. I suppose. Perhaps I got it wrong, yes, that'll be it...

Winnie

Presumably, the percentage figures at the bottom are the relative components of the overall score.

It only adds up to 90%.

There's a certain inevitability to that. I suppose. Perhaps I got it wrong, yes, that'll be it...

Winnie

You dropped out of high school? It adds up to 100%.

It only adds up to 90%.

Winnie

Go to the bottom of the class smile.png

Staff with a PhD (5%)

Proportion of international faculty (2.5%) and proportion of international students (2.5%)

Proportion of inbound exchange students (2.5%) and proportion of outbound exchange students (2.5%)

=100%.

Here is an honest question, will a degree from Chula be recognized in the USA or Europe?

Actually it functions best as springboard for a Masters degree at a good Western Uni. My daughter has several Thai's all doing similar and mostly from Chula at her UK university and that is ranked among the top ten in the world.

I understand all the doubts and caveats surrounding the Thai system but you got to have a few brain cells to do as they are.

Proud parents giving their children the 45th best education money can buy,,in SEA.

Wonder where it would rank globally?

Seem to recall around 400 out of 500 in the Times list a while back. In all fairness this was 45th in Asia, not just SEA.

Here is an honest question, will a degree from Chula be recognized in the USA or Europe?

Actually it functions best as springboard for a Masters degree at a good Western Uni. My daughter has several Thai's all doing similar and mostly from Chula at her UK university and that is ranked among the top ten in the world.

I understand all the doubts and caveats surrounding the Thai system but you got to have a few brain cells to do as they are.[/quote

All I want to know is it accredited internationally? Yes or no?

Being in the top 5 would be something to be proud of; being in the top 50 - not so much. There are 40+ schools scattered in a handful of Asian countries doing a better job than Thailand's best. Kind of makes one cringe.

I understand all the doubts and caveats surrounding the Thai system but you got to have a few brain cells to do as they are.[/quote

Whilst you are right that Thais do Masters degrees on the premise of having a degree from Chula here. they do pay as foreign students which is considerably higher. if a British person for example went and did a degree at Chula and then applied for a masters in the UK, they would not get on it, unless they went the "foreign student" route. So the question of its academic standing is questionable.

It only adds up to 90%.

Winnie

You dropped out of high school? It adds up to 100%.

No, I dropped out of Post-Grad School.

But you're right, I missed the first 10% on "Citations per paper"

Apologies, I'm off to stand in the corner for a while...

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

Whilst you are right that Thais do Masters degrees on the premise of having a degree from Chula here. they do pay as foreign students which is considerably higher. if a British person for example went and did a degree at Chula and then applied for a masters in the UK, they would not get on it, unless they went the "foreign student" route. So the question of its academic standing is questionable.

Some years ago I remember reading an article about Chula in The Post i think it was and it was stated that around 25% of the students should be there because they didn't meet the required standard but were admitted because of who they were. I have no idea how that percentage was arrived at but the ' who they were ' aspect is very believable

I'm not saying it doesn't happen elsewhere but it's galling that deserving students may be denied a place because they have no strings to pull..

Does Harvard recognize a degree from Chula? It is a very simple question.

Surakiart graduated with a First Class (Valedictorian) degree in law from Bangkok’s Chulalongkorn University. He earned two master's degrees: one in law (LL.M.) from Harvard Law School.

Harvard College in Asia Program or HCAP is a student-run organization that promotes intellectual and cultural exchange between Harvard University students and partner university students around the world.
In 2016, Chulalongkorn University was honored be the representative of Thailand to hold a conference under the theme "Equality, Tolerance and Freedom: The Effect of Culture and Policy in a Globalized World" and hosted 12 delegates from Harvard University. The conference was held from 12-20 March 2016.
Edited by Scotwight

I understand all the doubts and caveats surrounding the Thai system but you got to have a few brain cells to do as they are.

Yeah I suppose. I recall a friend at UCLA getting his Masters Degree approached by a young Thai doing his Masters. The Thai was from a wealthy family and offering him money to write his thesis.

Yeah I suppose. I recall a friend at UCLA getting his Masters Degree approached by a young Thai doing his Masters. The Thai was from a wealthy family and offering him money to write his thesis.

http://dissertationteam.com/write-my-thesis-for-me

I know many students from a country (that shall remain nameless) that use services like that. It is not really fair to single out one Thai person.

It only adds up to 90%.

Winnie

Go to the bottom of the class smile.png

Staff with a PhD (5%)

=100%.

Yes, you're right. Silly Winnie wasn't wearing his good glasses.

*sigh* yesterday was a funny old day all around really.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

I spent some time at Chula and a couple of other universities...the Thai students are so much better in their decorum than the students in the USA...the people at Chula, both faculty and students were impressive...happy to see some recognition for their efforts...

I find these figures hard to believe considering the amount of plagiarism and cheating that has recently been shown to take place. Pity the list doesn't show who the top universities are in Asia.

It does show that:

#RANKUNIVERSITY LOCATIONQS STARS?
Overall Score Academic ReputationEmployer ReputationFaculty StudentFaculty Staff with PhDPapers per FacultyCitations per PaperInternational FacultyInternational StudentsInbound ExchangeOutbound ExchangeFaculty ValueOverall Score
Overall Score Academic Reputation Employer Reputation Faculty Student Faculty Staff with PhD Papers per Faculty Citations per Paper International Faculty International Students Inbound Exchange Outbound Exchange
FilterBangladeshBruneiChinaHong KongIndiaIndonesiaJapanMacao S.A.R., ChinaMalaysiaPakistanPhilippinesSingaporeSouth KoreaSri LankaTaiwanThailandVietnamFilter
Filter Bangladesh Brunei China Hong Kong India Indonesia Japan Macao S.A.R., China Malaysia Pakistan Philippines Singapore South Korea Sri Lanka Taiwan Thailand Vietnam
Show only
SG.jpg
HK.jpg
SG.jpg
HK.jpg
CN.jpg

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/asian-university-rankings/2016#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=