UK can restrict benefits to EU workers, court rules

webfact

UK can restrict benefits to EU workers, court rules
By Catherine Hardy

606x341_335524.jpg

UK can deny some child benefits to non-resident EU workers
European Commission claimed this was discriminatory
“Justified to protect public finances” – European Court of Justice.

What has happened?
The UK can continue to restrict child benefits for some EU workers who are not legally resident in the UK and have children living in another member state.

European judges have ruled the procedure cannot be considered discriminatory and can be implemented to protect public finances.

Challenge denied
Judges at the EU’s top court, the European Court of Justice, rejected a challenge to the UK’s right to deny child benefit and child tax credits to some EU migrants.

They say the UK government can deny family allowances to some foreign workers who are not legally resident and who have children living abroad.

European Commission challenge
The European Commission had argued that the British process of checking whether child benefit and child tax credit claimants were legally resident in the UK discriminates against foreign EU workers.

This is because British citizens are not checked in this way.

The European Court of Justice
The European Court of Justice acknowledged the rule making allowances conditional on the right to reside in Britain could amount to discrimination.

However, it concluded it could be justified by the need to protect public finances.

What does this mean?
It means the UK can lawfully withhold benefits to EU migrants living on its territory but who have children living abroad.

However, this is only the case if the migrants do not have the right to reside in the UK.

Will the UK government welcome the decision?
It is very likely, yes.

Benefit curbs were a “hot button issue” for Prime Minister David Cameron during renegotiations with the EU completed earlier this year.

It comes ahead of a referendum on EU membership in the UK, due to be held on June 23.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-06-15

On june 24th it will not matter what those clowns in Europe say.

Britain will be out of the EU.

Has Britain ever been considered a true part of Europe?

Or just claiming to be part of it, when ever it suited them for political gains?

Or just claiming to be part of it, when ever it suited them for political gains?

We just save it...twice!

Don't think so and certainly hope not.

Quite right. What people do not realize is that the referendum is only "advisory". Even is there is a slight majority for leave, it is up to the Government whether on not to leave the EU. The Government is unlikely to decide to leave the EU.

We just save it...twice!

What did we Save Twice?

Quite right. What people do not realize is that the referendum is only "advisory". Even is there is a slight majority for leave, it is up to the Government whether on not to leave the EU. The Government is unlikely to decide to leave the EU.
You could be right. I wouldn't give much of a chance for re-election if the government decide to ignore the vote though and if they do ignore it .... what's the point of having a referendum at all!

How kind of the non-elected bigwigs in Luxembourg to tell the UK it's ok not to give freeloaders cash handouts to send back to their home countries. A perfect example of why the EU is loosing support among Brits.

We just save it...twice!

What did we Save Twice?
If you're not sure check a history book!

Then why go through all the palaver of the referendum if they aint going to bother? Don't say to be democratic because if that was the case then they would honour it

Is this not a case of the EU putting some bait out to try and help keep the UK in the EU? The calm before the storm...they will then instigate all the other policies they have waiting for the ever closer united europe

We just save it...twice!

I just Checked the history book, thanks.

I appears that Britain had it's ass handed to it and then kicked out of Europe in 1939,by the Nazis, four years later the USA and Russia liberated Europe from the Nazis.

Since then, Britain has been telling everyone that Britain saved Europe.

I also so read that before the USA and Russia came along Britain had the most retreats and surrenders of the war.

Go Figure.

Edited by FourAces

We just save it...twice!

Don't ask people to check your history books unless you have checked them first, you may not like what you read, you know, "truth hurts" etc...

We just save it...twice!

I appears that Britain had it's ass handed to it and then kicked out of Europe in 1939,by the Nazis, four years later the USA and Russia liberated Europe from the Nazis.

I also so read that before the USA and Russia came along Britain had the most retreats and surrenders of the war.

Go Figure.

Russia didn't come along, they were already involved and the only reason America got involved was because it got battered at Pearl or as you put it,,had its ass handed to it by an island about as big as the UK. Yes we may have got kicked out of Europe but that was because the rest of mainland Europe had lost or capitulated. But the Nazis didn't get on UK soil. I also think you will find it was the Yanks, British, Polish Free Army, Russians, Aussies and Canadians, possibly more that liberated Europe along with countless resistance groups. So if you are going to tell it please do it correctly

Edited by Caps

We just save it...twice!

Go Figure.

Oh dear, someone else who has not studied history properly but relies on Hollywood films.

"Russia didn't come along, they were already involved and the only reason America got involved was because it got battered at Pearl or as you put it,,had its ass handed to it by an island about as big as the UK. Yes we may have got kicked out of Europe but that was because the rest of mainland Europe had lost or capitulated. But the Nazis didn't get on UK soil. I also think you will find it was the Yanks, British, Polish Free Army, Russians, Aussies and Canadians, possibly more that liberated Europe along with countless resistance groups. So if you are going to tell it please do it correctly"

So, knowing this, we are all agreed now, that Britain DID NOT save Europe and should not be making false claims of such, or as you have put it "if you are going to tell it please do it correctly"

"Russia didn't come along, they were already involved and the only reason America got involved was because it got battered at Pearl or as you put it,,had its ass handed to it by an island about as big as the UK. Yes we may have got kicked out of Europe but that was because the rest of mainland Europe had lost or capitulated. But the Nazis didn't get on UK soil. I also think you will find it was the Yanks, British, Polish Free Army, Russians, Aussies and Canadians, possibly more that liberated Europe along with countless resistance groups. So if you are going to tell it please do it correctly"

So, knowing this, we are all agreed now, that Britain DID NOT save Europe and should not be making false claims of such, or as you have put it "if you are going to tell it please do it correctly"

if Britain hadn't continued the war it would have had a very different outcome.. but you keep to your slightly twisted view.. The actual destruction of the Nazis was a joint effort.. made possible by Britain holding out against the Nazis.

If you look at the posts correctly...you can borrow my specs if you need them.....I never stated that and Yes I agree Britain did not save Europe, it was a joint effort with millions of lives lost...lets not forget that. I also quoted several posts so in theory I was addressing all

We just save it...twice!

Go Figure.

Yeh Britain had its ass handed to em . We done absolutely bugger all in both wars, we just pretty much waved the white flag. Britain has always been weak and has never won a conflict ever. God I feel so ashamed to be British. Thank God for America and Russia. Surprised you had to check the history books for it tbh, everyone knows the Brits through history have never been a great waring nation.

Edited by goldenbrwn1

We just save it...twice!

Go Figure.

Yeh Britain had its ass handed to em . We done absolutely bugger all in both wars, we just pretty much waved the white flag. Britain has always been weak and has never won a conflict ever. God I feel so ashamed to be British. Thank God for America and Russia. Surprised you had to check the history books for it tbh, everyone knows the Brits through history have never been a great waring nation.

I do hope there was a lot of sarcasm in that post......rather than someone else who doesn't look at the facts? thumbsup.gif

We just save it...twice!

Go Figure.

Sounds like you have been reading American or Russian history books. Without the uk helping America has lost every war it has ever had. Except of course for the war of independence from England.

We just save it...twice!

Go Figure.

Hmmm. The Falklands war didn't go to well for the Argentinians as I recall. However Vietnam did have some success.
By the way ... Hitler declared war on the USA several days after Pearl Harbour was bombed by the Japanese, it seems that there was little choice in the matter for America. Of all the countries involved I would suggest that Russia played the largest part in ending the war. Just like the USA they had no choice because Hitler invaded the country without warning. As previously stated.. It was a joint effort.
As I see things ... All of this has nothing in common with EU, however it's an entertaining theory.

We just save it...twice!

Go Figure.

Sounds like you have been reading American or Russian history books. Without the uk helping America has lost every war it has ever had. Except of course for the war of independence from England.

While for sure you only read UK history books...

We just save it...twice!

Go Figure.

While for sure you only read UK history books...
Best kind.. American history books are kinda short!

You are spot on about it only being advisory and I am amazed at how many people don't know that. It will be interesting to see what happens if Brexit win though. Cameron has stated that he will invoke Article 50 straight after. However, he has to be Prime Minister to invoke that and conspiracy theorists say that he could resign to avoid doing it or that MP's could vote against it in Parliament. Also, Article 50 is supposed to be irreversible and once you have said you will leave, there is no turning back. Others say if the UK can't get a decent deal it can go back to the country for a second referendum.

You are spot on about it only being advisory and I am amazed at how many people don't know that. It will be interesting to see what happens if Brexit win though. Cameron has stated that he will invoke Article 50 straight after. However, he has to be Prime Minister to invoke that and conspiracy theorists say that he could resign to avoid doing it or that MP's could vote against it in Parliament. Also, Article 50 is supposed to be irreversible and once you have said you will leave, there is no turning back. Others say if the UK can't get a decent deal it can go back to the country for a second referendum.

If you ain't got the gonads to follow it through then don't do it in the first place, whatever happens