Windows 7 has updated on its own (not to Windows 10)

davejonesbkk

Turned on my PC this morning, didn't see the boot up screen but came back 10 mins later and the desktop was different, all my files on it gone and it was showing a different background image. I thought an auto 10 update had been done but it seems I'm still on 7, all programs are still installed but all files in downloads, desktop etc etc have gone.

Any ideas what has happened here? I dont think any of the files that were deleted were crucial, is it worth rolling back and how did this update happen without me consenting?

OK sorry please ignore the above, it seems I had been logged into a temp profile, it wouldn't let me access external hard drives and told me to restart and log back in which I did and its back to normal now, not sure what happened there though....

It sounds like it simply logged you on as a different user who wouldn't have your profile or access to your files.

Good to hear that's all it was.

Are you sure someone else isn't using your computer as a different user? That could do it.

Cheers.

Edited by NeverSure

It happened to me already... in the morning before I drank coffee and both eyes were in the same hole...

Now to avoid it I drink coffee first, wash my face and then turn on the laptop while preparing the second cup of coffee wink.png

They mentioned a great little utility on the Security Now podcast: Double Driver.

It lets you make a complete backup of all your drivers.

Now since this is something which a few people have complained about when doing a complete W10 install, it can't hurt to at least try the old drivers.

Also probably really handy if you have a disk crash, too.

Really easy to use.

Download from here:

http://www.snapfiles.com/downloads/doubledriver/dldoubledriver.html

Edited by Chicog

They mentioned a great little utility on the Security Now podcast: Double Driver.

Now since this is something which a few people have complained about when doing a complete W10 install, it can't hurt to at least try the old drivers.

Really easy to use.

Download from here:

Would like to hear from anyone who has used it.

I have to manually agree to install important updates. This allows me to click on the individual updates (they often come in bundles) and then click "more information." When you scroll down the more information page, you will often find a paragraph that states that the update is to facilitate the installation of Windows' latest OS, ostensibly at some point in the future. As has been pointed out here in the past, 'latest OS' is an alias for Windows 10. You have to check each and every update this way, and 'untick' the updates that state anything to this effect. It is a bit of a pain in the *ss, as the un-ticked updates remain in the queue, and coerce the updater to remind you periodically of 'new updates,' when sometimes it is only the residual updates that you chose not to install causing the notice. Many of the updates are not concerned with Windows 10, but security vulnerabilities and such. So, don't get lazy. You have to make certain you do install the updates that are unrelated to 'the latest OS.' I believe if you are vigilant in this respect, you will not fall victim to a forced Windows 10 conversion.

Really easy to use.

Download from here:

Would like to hear from anyone who has used it.

Well it's probably not something you would use until you need it. I've run a backup on all my machines and saved them on my NAS.

Although they recommended using the Folder option and not the option that creates a zip file on the fly.

Edited by Chicog

I have to manually agree to install important updates. This allows me to click on the individual updates (they often come in bundles) and then click "more information." When you scroll down the more information page, you will often find a paragraph that states that the update is to facilitate the installation of Windows' latest OS, ostensibly at some point in the future. As has been pointed out here in the past, 'latest OS' is an alias for Windows 10. You have to check each and every update this way, and 'untick' the updates that state anything to this effect. It is a bit of a pain in the *ss, as the un-ticked updates remain in the queue, and coerce the updater to remind you periodically of 'new updates,' when sometimes it is only the residual updates that you chose not to install causing the notice. Many of the updates are not concerned with Windows 10, but security vulnerabilities and such. So, don't get lazy. You have to make certain you do install the updates that are unrelated to 'the latest OS.' I believe if you are vigilant in this respect, you will not fall victim to a forced Windows 10 conversion.

Correct!

I've been doing that on all my PCs since Windows 10 came out and I had time to research its pros and cons. The initial release of W10 was awful, however since 1511 came out last November it's got progressively better. I now have W10 on 4 out of my 5 machines and am doing No 5 today, but I set the Privacy options as tight as possible AND I've set it to ask BEFORE downloading updates via the Policy Editor. Once you've got it "tamed" I think W10 is excellent but as ever with MS, the initial release wasn't much fun.

"IMO" and "YMMV" biggrin.png

Understand your concern , in OZ they are updating 7/8 to 10 without permission , so to everyone on a licenced windows system here, you may have the same trouble shortly..................................coffee1.gif

Not if you use "never10".