Sea creature carcass washes up on Naithon beach in Phuket

webfact

Sea creature carcass washes up on Naithon beach in Phuket

mSQWlZdCq5b6ZLkvPUvvItu42DxwwUiI-wpcf_72

PHUKET: -- A decomposed carcass of a mystery sea creature was discovered washed ashore at Naithon beach in Phuket today, baffling marine biologists to identify what the creature was.

The finding of a decomposed carcass which was left only with huge skull and skeletons on the beach in Thalarng district of Phuket was alerted by a local admistration officer Apichart Prateep to the rescue team of the Kusoltham Phuket charity foundation as he felt the carcass has emitted bad smell and could affect local environment.

The rescue team arrived but nobody could identify what it once was.

The team later alerted Phuket Marine Biological Centre.

Biologists also could not yet say what the sea creature was but first they believed it was either a big whale or a shark.

The decomposed was collected back to the centre for inspection to identify and examine the cause of its death.

But from initial examination of the image of the carcass, it might be a big whale.

However they will conduct more inspection to identify it.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/sea-creature-carcass-washes-naithon-beach-phuket/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-16

Carcass of unidentified marine animal found washed up on Phuket beach
Eakkapop Thongtub

1466065482_1-org.jpg
The carcass was found washed up on Naithon Beach by a local resident. Photo: Phuket Lifeguard Service

PHUKET: -- The carcass of an unidentified marine animal was found washed up on Naithon Beach this morning (June 16), marine biology officials have confirmed they are investigating.

Mr Apichart Prateep, a member of Sakoo OrBorTor (local Administration Organisation), at 9am reported to Kusoldharm Rescue Foundation that the carcass of an unidentified marine animal had been spotted by a local resident on Naithon Beach.

He said that the area was overwhelmed by a rotting smell and he was afraid that if left the carcass was left it would affect the marine environment and tourism.

“The animal had probably been dead for weeks, it resembles some type of giant fish or whale judging from its head and body,” Mr Apichart said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/carcass-of-unidentified-marine-animal-found-washed-up-on-phuket-beach-57890.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-06-16

I'm not at all impressed by any "biologist" who cannot differentiate between a Whale and a Shark carcass.

And what does "either a big whale or a shark" mean? By and large Whales are bigger than Sharks so surely it should read "either a big Shark or a Whale"?

Patrick

I'm not at all impressed by any "biologist" who cannot differentiate between a Whale and a Shark carcass.

And what does "either a big whale or a shark" mean? By and large Whales are bigger than Sharks so surely it should read "either a big Shark or a Whale"?

Patrick

Any first year marine biology student should be able to tell if mamal or fish from a vertabrae or tooth,...

Patrick

Any first year marine biology student should be able to tell if mamal or fish from a vertabrae or tooth,...

Even a small fragment of the skeleton is enough for a relative amateur to tell the difference as mammals have bones whereas fish have cartilage. It looks very much like a partially broken whale skull to me, I've found a couple in the past that looked very similar, however I suppose it could also be an elephant.