Thai Justice Minister: ya ba should be excluded from list of narcotic drugs

webfact

As others have said, decriminalization and regulation have been proved to be very effective in countries like Portugal. However, for this to work you do need investment in treatment, therapy, and education. I can't see the Thai government doing that effectively, unfortunately, although I would love to be proved wrong.

I don't know why the general ThaiVisa stance on drugs seems to be 'lock them up and throw away the key' - that approach has been an absolute disaster everywhere, why not try something different?

Exactly, it is the right idea and works on paper, but only if you back it up with the professional treatment and attentiveness that is required. I have a feeling Thailand in this situation may be like that typical bad Dad who says a lot and makes a lot of promises, but who never follows through with said promises. If they do decriminalise YaBa but fail to set in place all of the measures to help those addicted to it, things will be worse off than before.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he means the *overall* damage to society (in relative terms). Needless to say much more people drink alcohol than take yaba.

As to the tone of your comment... what drug are you taking everyday? Ego pills? Cynicism tablets? Smart drugs?

He must have gotten his information about the hazards of yaba from the medical council. Only they would give such misinformation saying yaba was less hazardous than cigarettes or alcohol. One has to wonder what drugs this guy is taking on a daily basis to make such a report.

As others have said, decriminalization and regulation have been proved to be very effective in countries like Portugal. However, for this to work you do need investment in treatment, therapy, and education. I can't see the Thai government doing that effectively, unfortunately, although I would love to be proved wrong.

I don't know why the general ThaiVisa stance on drugs seems to be 'lock them up and throw away the key' - that approach has been an absolute disaster everywhere, why not try something different?

Sorry mate no dice. Got more than a few friends back in Oz whose lives and families have been ruined by ice. Sadly now most are in the nick. Problem with your theory is they do try rehab first and try and keep em out, but after they haved failed 3 or 4 times and then start jumping through peoples windows or bashing <deleted> or just wigging out. They have to be locked up. In your utopia how many times do you get to try rehab on those that do and also clearly dont want it?

New trains of thought are definatly needed towards societies handling of currently illegal narcotics. well done Thailand a move in the right direction.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sorry mate no dice. Got more than a few friends back in Oz whose lives and families have been ruined by ice. Sadly now most are in the nick. Problem with your theory is they do try rehab first and try and keep em out, but after they haved failed 3 or 4 times and then start jumping through peoples windows or bashing <deleted> or just wigging out, they have to be locked up for everyones sake. In your utopia how many times do you get to try rehab on those that do and also clearly dont want it?

I just read a research report indicating that people who are or has been addicted to narcotics/drugs, also have a problem kicking other bad addictions such as smoking, drinking.....Conclusion may be that some of us are more susceptible to being addicted to any substance whereas other can easily or with little effort kick a bad habit.

Anything that are addictive and declared illegal history tells us it a bad idea, look at the US prohibition years as a good example, gangsta land. make anything legal and the plug goes out of the illegal network making a profit from it. Even restricting alcohol with high taxes and special shops for purchase made the moonshine a well known underground industry in Sweden and Finland during the 20th century, every home had their own still in the kitchen or garage.

There is only one way to deal with the drug problem, and that is to legalize it, but not just like that, there must be an extensive apparatus in place to care for addicts and rehabilitate. The root cause of addiction or becoming an addict can more easily be examined if the drugs are legal. when the CIA was experimenting with these drugs back in the days, they where legal, thank CIA for today's worldwide drug problems, as we can thank them for many other innovative thinks in the darkest recesses of society.

When was the CIA experimenting with yaba?

In the early 1900's, in America all drugs that are illegal now could be purchased legally in any pharmacy in America. Even cocaine and heroin. Back then cocaine was even in Coca Cola.

With very few problems. Of course back then most people had jobs, large families and worked long hours. They also had common sense.

Thailand is as backwards as ever and under this government there is no indication that it will get any smarter. If it really wanted to be a trendsetter it would take come positive action to make marijuana legal for personal use and allow same sex marriage and transgenders to change their name/sex on their ID/Passports....this would cost this government nothing and show that it can make some positive steps forward. Of course, it nor any other significant change will happen. It's all so predictable here.

Will someone please send the kids running the country back to the playpen. It's way past their bedtime.

Don't think they would have the intelligence to function in a playpen..

OK, I'm stunned. Mind blown. When i see a comment like this, mentioned in an article about Ya Ba, i can't help wondering who is advising this circus:

"He claimed that, in medical science, methamphetamine are less hazardous to health than cigarettes and liquor but the society at large accept cigarettes and liquor as normal."

There may be some truth to that statement, if the methamphetamine was produced in a controlled, regulated laboratory.

But to relate this to a product (Ya Ba) which is made (mostly) in a jungle, using whatever available industrial chemicals are available, and then cut with again, whatever is available, before the user even sees it is completely irresponsible.

Not only misleading, but extremely dangerous. IMO.

I just read a research report indicating that people who are or has been addicted to narcotics/drugs, also have a problem kicking other bad addictions such as smoking, drinking.....Conclusion may be that some of us are more susceptible to being addicted to any substance whereas other can easily or with little effort kick a bad habit.

Anything that are addictive and declared illegal history tells us it a bad idea, look at the US prohibition years as a good example, gangsta land. make anything legal and the plug goes out of the illegal network making a profit from it. Even restricting alcohol with high taxes and special shops for purchase made the moonshine a well known underground industry in Sweden and Finland during the 20th century, every home had their own still in the kitchen or garage.

There is only one way to deal with the drug problem, and that is to legalize it, but not just like that, there must be an extensive apparatus in place to care for addicts and rehabilitate. The root cause of addiction or becoming an addict can more easily be examined if the drugs are legal. when the CIA was experimenting with these drugs back in the days, they where legal, thank CIA for today's worldwide drug problems, as we can thank them for many other innovative thinks in the darkest recesses of society.

Legalize drugs? Probably the majority of users don't have the money to buy drugs in the first place so they have to steal. So do you also support the consequent stealing? The world is getting more fckd up by the minute..People who support legalizing drugs are probably users themselves.

OK, I'm stunned. Mind blown. When i see a comment like this, mentioned in an article about Ya Ba, i can't help wondering who is advising this circus:

"He claimed that, in medical science, methamphetamine are less hazardous to health than cigarettes and liquor but the society at large accept cigarettes and liquor as normal."

There may be some truth to that statement, if the methamphetamine was produced in a controlled, regulated laboratory.

But to relate this to a product (Ya Ba) which is made (mostly) in a jungle, using whatever available industrial chemicals are available, and then cut with again, whatever is available, before the user even sees it is completely irresponsible.

Not only misleading, but extremely dangerous. IMO.

so legalise it and they can get quality controlled drugs.

Ya Ba is big business and things here are not always what they seem.

I'll leave my comments at that.

i won't speculate as to what you may be alluding to but I can see the ' things not always what they seem ' angle.

The minister's words about rehabilitation etc ring somewhat hollow as I don't see society / government here as being particularly caring, hope I'm wrong.

Decriminalization should start with kratom and ganja, the problem with meth is no sleeping for days,that makes the user dangerously crazy... then their teeth fall out. but hey, seeing that may be a good deterent.

I completely agree about kratom and ganja. Any time spent on these two is wasted time that should have been spent on Yaba and Ice, the two that are at epidemic levels of use.

Let's not forget the priority for the BIB is not to stamp out drug use, it's to make money, however they can.

Legalize drugs? Probably the majority of users don't have the money to buy drugs in the first place so they have to steal. So do you also support the consequent stealing? The world is getting more fckd up by the minute..People who support legalizing drugs are probably users themselves.

false premise, wrong conclusion and apparently no knowledge of drugs whatsoever.

It actually sounds like a good idea. Most countries that have tried it, have had success. In Portugal they legalized all drugs. If you are caught with an ounce of heroin in your pocket, the police let you go. And you know what happened? The rates of drug abuse dropped. There were no more people being put into prison for drug offenses, so the prison budget dropped too.

I believe all drugs should be legalized. All drugs. You just take away all of the allure that comes with doing something illegal. In the US, a fortune is being spent on locking up people for smoking pot, and the "war on drugs" has failed miserably. How do you dismantle the Mexican and Colombian cartels overnight? Legalize drugs.

I realize Paiboon is a former 1st Region Army Commander, loyal Junta/NCPO toady and a member of Wong Thewan faction, but does he have any qualifications to be Justice Minister? Like a background in the Law, or a law degree?

He may, I don't know.

Decriminalizing ya-ba is certainly something to look into, study and discuss. The Thai prison/juvenile detention system is challenged with the number of ya-ba related people in their care. Obviously there would need to be a lot of effort put into treatment/care/support to reduce relapse.

Sorry mate no dice. Got more than a few friends back in Oz whose lives and families have been ruined by ice. Sadly now most are in the nick. Problem with your theory is they do try rehab first and try and keep em out, but after they haved failed 3 or 4 times and then start jumping through peoples windows or bashing <deleted> or just wigging out, they have to be locked up for everyones sake. In your utopia how many times do you get to try rehab on those that do and also clearly dont want it?

Is ice legal in Oz, no. So how can you compare that to the statement? The argument is that in other countries legalisation has lowered the drug consumption and on top of that those who do use get medical and therapeutic attention, not simply slammed up into a jail and forgotten about, ready to reoffend. If people want to do drugs they will find a way, legal or not

Ok Mr. smarty pants minister, and while you at it, deregulate and exclude heroin, cocaine and all other dangers drugs

using the same common sense, and how about excluding all other crimes hoping that the all criminals

will see the error of their ways and become law abiding citizens again.....

he is right tho.... prohibition does not work!!! all drugs should be decriminalised worldwide... educate young people about the dangers... if they are decriminalised the

big money some dealers make will go too!