Why different connections to internet in Win 10?

Generalchaos

Hi,

I use a Linksys EA6700 router to distribute my network around the house. This router has a dual channel wifi mode, 2.4GHz and a 5GHz connection. Both have separate SSID's - the 2.4 Ghz is called HOME and the 5 GHz is called HIGHSPEED, the main router network is called homenetwork.

Currently I have two main devices that are both connected using an Ethernet cable, one is my main PC the other is an HP Pavilion Laptop. (Both wired connections)

Here is the part I cannot understand, the main PC using an Intel Gigabit card connects to HIGHSPEED (HIGHSPEED is the SSID to WIFI????) and the Laptop uses a REALTEK FE LAN and it connects to the HOME SSID??? I am sure it used to connect to HIGHSPEED.

If I look at the connections available, the main PC sees a wired connection to HIGHSPEED, and two wireless connections, one to HOME and one more to HIGHSPEED. -

The laptop however, is unable to connect or see anything other than the HOME connection, either LAN or wifi!

Even if I disable the wifi adaptor, the wired connection only sees the HOME connection and not the HIGHSPEED!

Any ideas as to what is going wrong?

It also appears that the laptop and the Realtek FE is only able to link at 100Mbs, could this be the reason? It defaults to HOME as the HIGHSPEED is Gigabit?

Cheers.

Edited by Generalchaos

The name of the connection is entirely irrelevant to a wired connection.

It only has a meaning for wireless connections in case of different SSIDs like in your case.

The Ethernet (wired) connection will run at the maximum of its abilities ie. 100Mb/s or 1G/s, whatever the name shown is.

The name of the connection is entirely irrelevant to a wired connection.

It only has a meaning for wireless connections in case of different SSIDs like in your case.

The Ethernet (wired) connection will run at the maximum of its abilities ie. 100Mb/s or 1G/s, whatever the name shown is.

Thanks for that! I was confused why SSID would turn up for wired LAN

I have wasted hours trying to update drivers etc. trying to make the two computers run on the same network! Any idea why they run differently? any idea why the main PC can connect to either or, but the laptop only sees the one network? just interested as to me, i should be able to sort of replicate things and there has to be a reason why they behave differently.

You might be able to help me with another query. I set up the laptop to connect to the main PC with a mapped network drive, it can access all of the shared folders on the main PC, but when I replicate the same permissions and sharing on the PC it cannot connect to the laptop!

headache!

Cheers.

Edited by Generalchaos

This is not a solution, it is a similar problem in the same vein. my DSL line and router works perfectly with Windows 7, but when I upgraded to Windows 10, I am unable to get any internet connection at all. Microsoft support was of no value (they tell me to log on to a website even though I have no internet!). An IT shop's solution was to go back to Windows 7 - very helpful.

Does anyone know why WIndows 10 cannot see my wifi connection? I have an Acer travelmate laptop.

This is not a solution, it is a similar problem in the same vein. my DSL line and router works perfectly with Windows 7, but when I upgraded to Windows 10, I am unable to get any internet connection at all. Microsoft support was of no value (they tell me to log on to a website even though I have no internet!). An IT shop's solution was to go back to Windows 7 - very helpful.

Does anyone know why WIndows 10 cannot see my wifi connection? I have an Acer travelmate laptop.

Difficult to say with so little information.

The first thing I would say is have you checked to make sure there is a compatible driver for the Wifi adapter and that it is enabled?

Do you have an Android phone?

Download Netgear Wifi Analyzer and see what Wifi is available and what channel(s) it/they are broadcasting on.

Make sure your Adapter can see those channels.

What is the wifi adapter as well?

Edited by Chicog

Thanks Chicog. Yes, the problem is the lack of a driver for wifi for my laptop, an Acer travelmate 7730G. The Acer website does not show my model, so I don't know where to find the correct driver.

Thanks Chicog. Yes, the problem is the lack of a driver for wifi for my laptop, an Acer travelmate 7730G. The Acer website does not show my model, so I don't know where to find the correct driver.

Well you could try a Win7 driver first, but there appear to be different options, so open Device Manager and see if you can identify the manufacturer (it appears to be from Atheros, Broadcom, Intel or Ralink).

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers/-;84015328325;-

For the sake of it make sure you're on the latest BIOS too (2010!).

If you can't get it to work you could probably just buy a cheapy USB one and just plug it in. Something that old is probably a slow adapter anyway, 802.11g or something.

You'd be better with 802.11n, or even 802.11ac which is the fastest in general use..

Edited by Chicog