Teaching Opportunities In Issan - Udon And Ubon

stament

I have searched on Ajarn recently and whilst there seems to be loads of opportunities in BKK and Chiang Mai there doesn't seem to be any in either Udon Thani or Ubon Ratchathani. I'm guessing because they don't have as many international schools or universitities and language schools.

Are the jobs there really that few and far between for somebody with a degree and TEFL?

I'd appreciate some feedback from some of you more experienced people.

Thanks in anticipation :o

ps I'm not sure if this should be in the Issan or Teaching section but I've put it in the Teaching.

...Are the jobs there really that few and far between for somebody with a degree and TEFL?....

I thing for many parts of Issan, you have answered your own question.

A friend of mine got a good job in Issan, but h was looking for nearly a year. Then the Ad appeared and he was on the spot and now has a comfortable job.

That website has changed its format. The jobs that pay for the ads are in the center, and you have to search the right margin for the free ads. But I wouldn't be surprised. You almost never see ads for Mae Hong Son, seldom for Prachuab Khirikhan, etc. Some remote provinces are quite remote and provincial when it comes to offerring real TEFL jobs.

My wife comes from Ubon, a while back early 2005 a new english language school started up and were advertising for English teachers with notices pinned to lamp posts. My Dad who is retired and was on holiday at the time went for an interview, the school wasn't quite open then and when it did open he had gone back home. We don't have the phone number with us but my wife remembers the name of the school as "Yes" she suggests calling directory enquiries on 1133.

I have searched on Ajarn recently and whilst there seems to be loads of opportunities in BKK and Chiang Mai there doesn't seem to be any in either Udon Thani or Ubon Ratchathani. I'm guessing because they don't have as many international schools or universitities and language schools.

Are the jobs there really that few and far between for somebody with a degree and TEFL?

I'd appreciate some feedback from some of you more experienced people.

Thanks in anticipation :o

ps I'm not sure if this should be in the Issan or Teaching section but I've put it in the Teaching.

Hi My Wife comes from Nr. Udon Thani. So I wanted to remain in the area so she could see her family.

I was in the right place at the right time and now I have a good well paid teaching job only 3 hours south of her family home. I was only looking for a few weeks !

There are plenty of jobs in Issan, but for some strange reason not many seem to get advertised. Once I got known in this area I was offered as much work as I want, I now teach full time at one school and part time at two other schools, and I am turning down private tuition nearly every day.

I am the only western teacher in this area so I am always in demand. So if you want a good teaching job here in Issan my advice is to visit schools in the area, Thai's love to talk and someone will offer you a job pretty quickly. The best way to get a job is by word of mouth. Also most agencies take a percentage of your salary, either from you or the school. I was lucky and didn't get involved with agencies, so I got the full salary, and nobody creamed any off.

Many jobs in Issan. I was working 2 years ago in Roi-Et. Now I live in Korat. I still have some connections. It depends of your experience, degrees, what level do you want to teach, where do you come from (native English speaker?)

If you want to work in Korat or Roi-Et, send me your resume, a picture, and I will send the for free, to some people looking for teachers. (I know 2 schools in Roi-Et and many places in Korat).

h t t p : / / sebastien DOT korat farang DOT com All together...without spaces, that's my website, can't write it in one line.....will be banned here !!!

S.

Edited by Sebastienenchine

I agree with WapiJohn, everytime we visit the family in Khon kaen I am asked when we are moving as the local school (s) want to hire me. It doens't seem to matter that I am not a teacher or have any teaching experience, the fact that I am a native english speaker seems to be enough. I was even offered 3 weeks ago a job for 3 days a week for 30k a month. That was from hubbies old english teacher who specifically came to the house to make the offer! Not bad for a small town in KK. Sadly we don't live there yet.

• 2 weeks later...