New consumer unit trip every time. N - N shows 1 volt.

Goanna

Hi guys. I had the thread for aircon not enough power. We've had two buggers upgrade the system. A little bit better each time.

Now, I have a new consumer unit with rcbo. The sparky? Installing it bypassed the thing, and said it's safe.

I tried myself to put the rcbo inline, but N to N bar reads 1 volt, and the thing trips. Any ideas please.

post-76159-0-52516300-1466409376_thumb.jpost-76159-0-55937700-1466409434_thumb.jpost-76159-0-68390700-1466409540_thumb.j

Does it trip with ALL the MCBs (except the main incomer) turned off?

If so, look for a N - E fault. Pull all the neutrals and replace one by one until it trips.

If it doesn't then turn on the breakers one at a time until it trips. Then investigate that circuit for a L - E fault.

TAKE GREAT CARE DOING THESE TESTS LIVE - EVEN THE NEUTRAL COULD KILL!!!!!!!!!

As wired by your sparks, no it's not "safe".

Are those brown wires actually supposed to be ground? Do you have a rod? Where does it connect to?

EDIT Have you verified that L really is L (use a neon screwdriver).

Just to say... it seems that the spark has wired the colors "wrong". It's the Euro convention to have brown as Live and blue as Neutral, yah? Am I wrong or does it look like 2 N with 7-8 circuits?

And that appears to be DIN mount? Which I have no experience. Crossy - is there something to the way things are wired up?

Thanks Crossy. I did see that, but didn't think it worth responding.

I would like to go the whole hog with the upgrade, but I figured as a start, I would get a board with RCBO. The power is back as the "sparky" installed it at the moment.

Even at the meter on the power pole, I get a reading of 4 volts, from the neutral to the meter mounting screw. The same as at the consumer unit this morning.

Thanks to this forum, I have been to PEA and asked to have the meter changed to permanent. I knew my bills were high, and now know why. We have been paying 7.9 baht per unit, but it should be less than 4. Been living in 2 years now, and no one mentioned it.

The other that I have gained, is the need for the RCBO switch.

Unfortunately, I am off back to Australia to work tomorrow, so things will stay as they are.

In most of our home countries, any electrician would come and do the job right the first time. Too easy. But not so out here in the boondocks. I can't blame the locals really, because they know their system. Would be nice to have one that knew ours.

Cheers guys.

Archived