Emirates

big carl

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another downside when flying from BKK to USA through Europe or the Middle East is that you end up traveling with persons from Europe or the Middle East.

People from Europe or the Middle East say exactly the same things about Americans, believe me.

"Another downside when flying from BKK to USA through Europe or the Middle East is that you end up traveling with persons from Europe or the Middle East."

The upside is most of them can fit in a single seat...

When I fly from Bangkok to the USA via Tokyo most on the plane are from Japan. But that's OK -- I would recommend that persons not fly from Bangkok to London via Cleveland anyway.

Based on my encounters with Europeans mostly from UK on ThaiVisa I generally limit my encounter with those from Europe and UK to that on ThaiVisa. ... whether they same the same of those from US really makes no difference to me. The question on here is whether you would want to spend 20 or more hours on an aircraft with them and I choose when flying out of BKK to go the opposite direction and out over the Pacific.

Edited by JLCrab

Tbh unless you're waiting for Qatar to fly to Chiang Mai later this year, you can perm any one of Etihad, Emirates or Qatar, and go CNX-Gulf-US.

They all do non-stop direct to the US I think, and they'll all organise a wheelchair for you.

I'm doing a non-stop DOH-LAX in July on QR.

Maybe that will fit the bill.

I would agree with you. Those three airlines are decent but as the OP is in a wheelchair I would choose Qatar if the price is ok. They have the new Hamid airport which is spacious, not crowded, more relaxing (as far as a airport and flying long haul can be) . Dubai airport truly gives you feeling that you are at one of the "crossroads" of the world. Busy , crowded with people from everywhere going to everywhere. Chaotic in a interesting way but maybe not the best choice for a wheelchair passenger? Etihad Abu Dhabi, OK, not a great airport, can be crowded, nothing special.

I flew Qatar recently from Singpaore and from Manchester. On both transits at Doha no further security screening was needed before entering the terminal. Just walk of the aircraft and you are free.

Anyone flying with special requirements like the OP needs to spell this out exactly to the airline when booking and maybe a week before travel phone them again to make sure all the requests are in place.

When I fly from Bangkok to the USA via Tokyo most on the plane are from Japan. But that's OK -- I would recommend that persons not fly from Bangkok to London via Cleveland anyway.

Based on my encounters with Europeans mostly from UK on ThaiVisa I generally limit my encounter with those from Europe and UK to that on ThaiVisa. ... whether they same the same of those from US really makes no difference to me. The question on here is whether you would want to spend 20 or more hours on an aircraft with them and I choose when flying out of BKK to go the opposite direction and out over the Pacific.

Have you ever flown one of the mainland China airlines to the west coast? I haven't but I've heard/read a few stories.

Have you ever flown one of the mainland China airlines to the west coast? I haven't but I've heard/read a few stories.

No -- for the last 5 years or so I've used Japan Airlines via an American Airlines ticket or award travel. But from now on, I'm going to go for a non-stop to Atlanta via either Seoul or Tokyo, then rent a car and drive to Florida and avoid that 3rd domestic flight coming and going.

Edited by JLCrab

• 1 month later...

Economy class on Emirates is as good as business class on most other airlines to Thailand!

I've flown first, business and Eco to Thailand, many flights on emiirates, total and utter BS to state Emirates Eco is similar to most business class.

If only it were true.. I'm flying on Emirates economy in a few days and am not looking forwards to it.. I've chosen seats online in what were otherwise empty rows. Hopefully, they actually will be empty on the day.

I think economy class is economy class is economy class. Each time we climb into the metal tube, we spend the hours trying to take naps and watch movies, eating whatever food is offered, rinse and repeat. Our priority is flight duration and price. After that they all seem pretty much the same. Virtually every flight is pretty much packed with people.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Edited by SpokaneAl

Singapore is nice -- the other 3 take you over a war zone.

They don't.

They either fly south or north of the Syrian war zone doing a significant detour.

Just checked in flightradar24 for Dubai - Duesseldorf as an example.

And Bangkok - Dubai is not over any war zones.

The standard nonstop routes over Pakistan and Afghanistan could be considered "risky" as well.

And it unfortunately took 300 lives to learn avoiding Ukraine/Russia border zones.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Economy class on Emirates is as good as business class on most other airlines to Thailand!

Emirates always have the higher fares, so that figures.

I depends where you are flying from. Emirates out of the UK can have very low airfares in Economy great IFE, freq flyer miles, 30kg , decent meals. Same with Etihad and Qatar. If you live in Dubai Emirates charge a premium though.

I think economy class is economy class is economy class. Each time we climb into the metal tube, we spend the hours trying to take naps and watch movies, eating whatever food is offered, rinse and repeat. Our priority is flight duration and price. After that they all seem pretty much the same. Virtually every flight is pretty much packed with people.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Easy to sleep in Biz / good choice and quality of food / good service / last on & first off / access to lounges - takes a lot of hassle out of travelling.

The description you give is correct for economy class any airline.

Emirates A380 looks as the best choice when handicapped and traveling in Economy class. Most spacious seats and legroom I think of any current longhaul flight. In addition i recommend to get a seat in the front compartment as that is the most quiet. Not sure anymore if isle seats have movable armrests so that they will be suitable for handicapped travelers.

I didn't want to pay for a business class seat for my 2 year old, thus I've just flown long haul Economy Class for the first time in 10 years (always flown Business Class on my twice yearly visits to the UK)...

Emirates were perfectly fine... A380, airside hotel layover for 12 hrs to break up the flight and relax... (Ideal with a toddler).

Emirates were chosen based on its A380, I've no real comparison biut felt the space was five for 6 & 7 hr flights...

I didn't want to pay for a business class seat for my 2 year old, thus I've just flown long haul Economy Class for the first time in 10 years (always flown Business Class on my twice yearly visits to the UK)...

That's the spirit, inflict your 2 year old on the economy passengers.

Over 40 flights... Just one 10 minute meltdown (on a 3 hr flight).. The little fella is a model passenger and makes flying with him easy...

Potential disturbance to others is always but ultimately an unwarranted concern though.

We've had more disturbance from drunks on flights.

That said, loads of other kids were kicking off on my latest flight... Lazy parents not occupying or comforting their kids...

Thus to bring this thread back on topic: Emirates flights seem to have lots of kids on board... Maybe it's the time of year...

Perhaps others will have a comparison of the numbers of kids on Emirates flights vs other Airlines.

Awww, poor you! Children are a joy.

Emirates were voted the best airline 2016, up from 5th in 2015.

Some years ago I found out I'd broken my leg 3 days before a planned trip to China on Emirates.

I was covered with Travel Insurance but really didn't want to cancel as the purpose of my visit was to meet friends and put my feet up anyway.

I then wondered how I was going to sit and carry luggage with a leg in plaster and on crutches.

I phoned Emirates customer services with my concerns and within 10 minutes they returned my call and said everything was taken care of.

Indeed when I arrived at the airport a staff member was waiting with a wheelchair.

On the outward trip they allocated me 4 seats, so I could put my leg up, took care of luggage, a personal chaperone at Dubai airport, first on, first off using a host and fast tracked.

On my return journey, same service, but economy was almost full, so they upgraded me to business.

Excellent airline, especially if you have a disability.

For their parents.

For their parents.

Miserable old git !!... giggle.gif

Most kids on flights are well behaved.. On the majority of flights I've taken with my Son other passengers have commented on how well behaved he is...

I'm under no illusions though, if we become complacent and are not suitably prepared it could go wrong on any flight - parenting, especially on long haul flights takes effort.

One child being loud and unruly does not mean every child is... those who seem to dislike kids have forgotten they were once one.

I don't judge every other adult an obnoxious alcoholic because just because I've seen a number of them on flights...

Emirates is very good...I've only flown them in business and first and have had positive experiences. If flying from Bangkok, I would choose EK for their chueffer service and they have their own lounge at Swampy. They also have many of their own lounges at their Stateside destinations, including SFO, where I'll be flying to in First again in a few months. The downside is the zoo-like terminal in Dubai...wouldn't want to deal with that unless traveling in business or first, where you're literally above it all.

Emirates A380 looks as the best choice when handicapped and traveling in Economy class. Most spacious seats and legroom I think of any current longhaul flight. In addition i recommend to get a seat in the front compartment as that is the most quiet. Not sure anymore if isle seats have movable armrests so that they will be suitable for handicapped travelers.

Flying in economy, there is really no significant difference in the amount of personal space you get on an A380 as compared to their other aircraft. You are just in a bigger plane with hundreds of more people.

For that matter, if I was handicapped, I think I would prefer a smaller aircraft, just because queueing and then getting on and off the plane would be done with fewer fellow passengers.