Emirates

big carl

Emirates A380 looks as the best choice when handicapped and traveling in Economy class. Most spacious seats and legroom I think of any current longhaul flight. In addition i recommend to get a seat in the front compartment as that is the most quiet. Not sure anymore if isle seats have movable armrests so that they will be suitable for handicapped travelers.

Flying in economy, there is really no significant difference in the amount of personal space you get on an A380 as compared to their other aircraft. You are just in a bigger plane with hundreds of more people.

For that matter, if I was handicapped, I think I would prefer a smaller aircraft, just because queueing and then getting on and off the plane would be done with fewer fellow passengers.

Irrespective of airline or class of travel don't handicapped people always get on the plane first? that's what i've seen.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Emirates A380 looks as the best choice when handicapped and traveling in Economy class. Most spacious seats and legroom I think of any current longhaul flight. In addition i recommend to get a seat in the front compartment as that is the most quiet. Not sure anymore if isle seats have movable armrests so that they will be suitable for handicapped travelers.

Flying in economy, there is really no significant difference in the amount of personal space you get on an A380 as compared to their other aircraft. You are just in a bigger plane with hundreds of more people.

For that matter, if I was handicapped, I think I would prefer a smaller aircraft, just because queueing and then getting on and off the plane would be done with fewer fellow passengers.

Irrespective of airline or class of travel don't handicapped people always get on the plane first? that's what i've seen.

Ahhh....good point! Ooops...hadn't thought of that.

I arrived in Bangkok from London yesterday. My impression was generally positive.

I bought an economy ticket, but it wasn't the discount kind as I left it late. I think this was to my advantage.

Whilst in the queue at LGW, I was approached by a lady who looked exactly like Ann Widdecombe in an Emirates uniform, asking if I'd like a seat with more legroom.. Yes please... So I had an exit door aisle seat to Dubai.. Some people in the middle block were complaining that they chose bulkhead seats online, but ended up one row behind and wanted to be swapped with the Indian family with toddlers that were sat there. They didn't win, so I was extra lucky.

Arrived to mayhem at DXB. Wasn't impressed at all with the airport, but I'll know my way around next time.

Went to the gate and my boarding pass wouldn't scan, so she printed another with a different seat, this time window. I was a bit miffed as I carefully chose my seats and they didn't ask, but this didn't last as they had stuck me in business!

This led to a bit more airport chaos, as the lifts to 2nd level either didn't want to move at all, or kept taking us to other floors. After about 10 mins, we got there. The main reason I usually fly Thai is that I don't want to be walking around an airport when I want to be sleeping. I still feel this way having stopped at Dubai.

I would say my first impression was that the business cabin was less appealing than Thai's, and the seat was no better. There is a foot rest that stops you stretching your legs on the floor in front of you, so you have to put your feet on the ottoman thing to stretch out. The seat was rather narrow an the arm rests don't move. The only meal was a sloppy scrambled egg breakfast. But I got a couple of hours of real sleep for no added cost! I didn't get to enjoy the lounge at DXB, so can't compare, so I actually think TG's business class is nicer. The crew were very friendly though.

I go back next weekend and would love it if I had the same luck, but I expect I'll be downstairs amongst the mob again.

One sour note, on final approach into BKK, a guy 2 seats ahead of me projectile vomited his breakfast into the aisle. We then had a very long taxi from the west runway to C pier and another long wait for an air bridge. Thanks Calum if you ever read this!

On July 29, 2016 at 3:25 PM, tw25rw said:

I arrived in Bangkok from London yesterday. My impression was generally positive.

I bought an economy ticket, but it wasn't the discount kind as I left it late. I think this was to my advantage.

Whilst in the queue at LGW, I was approached by a lady who looked exactly like Ann Widdecombe in an Emirates uniform, asking if I'd like a seat with more legroom.. Yes please... So I had an exit door aisle seat to Dubai.. Some people in the middle block were complaining that they chose bulkhead seats online, but ended up one row behind and wanted to be swapped with the Indian family with toddlers that were sat there. They didn't win, so I was extra lucky.

Arrived to mayhem at DXB. Wasn't impressed at all with the airport, but I'll know my way around next time.

Went to the gate and my boarding pass wouldn't scan, so she printed another with a different seat, this time window. I was a bit miffed as I carefully chose my seats and they didn't ask, but this didn't last as they had stuck me in business!

This led to a bit more airport chaos, as the lifts to 2nd level either didn't want to move at all, or kept taking us to other floors. After about 10 mins, we got there. The main reason I usually fly Thai is that I don't want to be walking around an airport when I want to be sleeping. I still feel this way having stopped at Dubai.

I would say my first impression was that the business cabin was less appealing than Thai's, and the seat was no better. There is a foot rest that stops you stretching your legs on the floor in front of you, so you have to put your feet on the ottoman thing to stretch out. The seat was rather narrow an the arm rests don't move. The only meal was a sloppy scrambled egg breakfast. But I got a couple of hours of real sleep for no added cost! I didn't get to enjoy the lounge at DXB, so can't compare, so I actually think TG's business class is nicer. The crew were very friendly though.

I go back next weekend and would love it if I had the same luck, but I expect I'll be downstairs amongst the mob again.

One sour note, on final approach into BKK, a guy 2 seats ahead of me projectile vomited his breakfast into the aisle. We then had a very long taxi from the west runway to C pier and another long wait for an air bridge. Thanks Calum if you ever read this!

The main difference between Thai Business Class and Emirates Business Class is the comfort of the seats. 

Thai Airways have a flat angled bed (i.e. one which is not horizontal) - (unless they've improved their business class fleet lately).

Emirates have a horizontal flat bed and bring out a 1" thick 'Mattress topper'. 

This makes quite a difference and IMO makes Emirates far more comfortable. 

Recently I flew Economy on Emirates, my first Economy flight in many years, I booked bulkhead seat on both legs (to and onwards from Dubai)- I was quite impressed.

In a few weeks I'll return to Bangkok, the flight is busier and I couldn't secure the bulkhead seats, I may be less impressed with less leg room. 

Thai have had flat beds for a couple of years. The Emirates mattress isn't that thick, but made a difference. Thai should follow suit.

The exit seat I had was surprisingly wide. On Qantas, I could barely squeeze my pelvis between the armrests. Emirates was fine. And good recline too. Was almost like EVA premium economy, except for narrow armrests.

4 hours ago, thai006 said:

i love emirates and will take them for back home soon , 

think is the best compagny europe to Thaii, 

but emirates only use E grates and is very far from immigration :( 

Mine docked into C.

On 7/23/2016 at 4:13 PM, tw25rw said:

If only it were true.. I'm flying on Emirates economy in a few days and am not looking forwards to it.. I've chosen seats online in what were otherwise empty rows. Hopefully, they actually will be empty on the day.

i can help you......get to check in well before it opens, depending on the plane ask for emergency exit seats with the legroom as these can only be given out AT check in by Emirates, the reason is you have to be fit and able to open the door in an emergency and they need to physically see you at the check in desk  to see u r.  These seats CANNOT be  booked online but it will show them as taken, they arent.

In a 777 its usually rows 23a-k and 37a-k and occasionally bulkhead row 7-8ak

I used to fly economy  a long time ago and this worked 9 times out of 10.

1 hour ago, kannot said:

i can help you......get to check in well before it opens, depending on the plane ask for emergency exit seats with the legroom as these can only be given out AT check in by Emirates, the reason is you have to be fit and able to open the door in an emergency and they need to physically see you at the check in desk  to see u r.  These seats CANNOT be  booked online but it will show them as taken, they arent.

That rules out 99% of Farangs I've ever seen in Thailand then! :whistling:

I was pretty pleased with Emirates for the past few years. Until two days ago.

As one is probably aware an Emirates flight crash landed on DXB. I was on a different Emirates flight scheduled from Bangkok to land 5 minutes later. Here is my short report of what happened then. 

12:45 PA from flight deck that the plane in front of us declared an emergency, do we had to wait to land for 20 minutes. 

13.00 PA from flight deck that DXB would be closed and we were diverting to another airport

13:15 landed at Al Maktoum airport 50km away. 

14:00 PA that DXB would be closed for the next few hours. No further information available. Stay in plane. 

14:30 PA that DXB would be closed for at least 6 hours. Can't get out of plane because no ground facilities available.

15:30 PA that buses are arriving to take passengers with final destination of Dubai to DXB airport.

16:00 Buses arrive and take a handful of passengers.

16:00 PA that buses will take transiting passengers to DXB soon

16:00 buses show up. Not enough. Wait for more buses. Of loading passengers goes very slow. 

18:30 finally everyone on buses. And all buses depart in convoy. Progress very slowly due to many checks by police. 

20:30 arrive at DXB parking. Still waiting. Absolute chaos!

21:30 After a drive around airport perimeter and sightseeing tour of the wreckage on the runway we arrive at the gate at DXB. 

22:00 arrive at departure gate for my returning flight. Originally scheduled at 15:00, delayed until 23:15. Then further delayed until 2:15.

2:15 boarding time! Via buses to plane

3:15 departure from DXB

arrival in Amsterdam: no baggage from transiting passengers. Nothing prepared by Emirates or any Emirates staff in sight. 500 people waiting in line to file a lost luggage claim with the local baggage handling company. 

total delay over 14 hours. Too little info on what was happening. Quickly ran out of food and water on waiting time in plane on wrong airport. At DXB or AMS no Emirates staff to be seen except for one woman at DXB information handing out vouchers for free meal. She personally had to take care of hundreds of people. Took hours. Same at baggage service at AMS. 

Thus is was the first incident involving Emirates and DXB airport and it showed! No protocol whatsoever for anything. Utter chaos. 

On on a positive note; just received an email with the offer from Emirates to fully refund my ticket. 

11 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

I was pretty pleased with Emirates for the past few years. Until two days ago.

As one is probably aware an Emirates flight crash landed on DXB. I was on a different Emirates flight scheduled from Bangkok to land 5 minutes later. Here is my short report of what happened then. 

12:45 PA from flight deck that the plane in front of us declared an emergency, do we had to wait to land for 20 minutes. 

13.00 PA from flight deck that DXB would be closed and we were diverting to another airport

13:15 landed at Al Maktoum airport 50km away. 

14:00 PA that DXB would be closed for the next few hours. No further information available. Stay in plane. 

14:30 PA that DXB would be closed for at least 6 hours. Can't get out of plane because no ground facilities available.

15:30 PA that buses are arriving to take passengers with final destination of Dubai to DXB airport.

16:00 Buses arrive and take a handful of passengers.

16:00 PA that buses will take transiting passengers to DXB soon

16:00 buses show up. Not enough. Wait for more buses. Of loading passengers goes very slow. 

18:30 finally everyone on buses. And all buses depart in convoy. Progress very slowly due to many checks by police. 

20:30 arrive at DXB parking. Still waiting. Absolute chaos!

21:30 After a drive around airport perimeter and sightseeing tour of the wreckage on the runway we arrive at the gate at DXB. 

22:00 arrive at departure gate for my returning flight. Originally scheduled at 15:00, delayed until 23:15. Then further delayed until 2:15.

2:15 boarding time! Via buses to plane

3:15 departure from DXB

arrival in Amsterdam: no baggage from transiting passengers. Nothing prepared by Emirates or any Emirates staff in sight. 500 people waiting in line to file a lost luggage claim with the local baggage handling company. 

total delay over 14 hours. Too little info on what was happening. Quickly ran out of food and water on waiting time in plane on wrong airport. At DXB or AMS no Emirates staff to be seen except for one woman at DXB information handing out vouchers for free meal. She personally had to take care of hundreds of people. Took hours. Same at baggage service at AMS. 

Thus is was the first incident involving Emirates and DXB airport and it showed! No protocol whatsoever for anything. Utter chaos. 

On on a positive note; just received an email with the offer from Emirates to fully refund my ticket. 

What do you expect? it was an emergency landing and the safety of the people on the flights was priority 1 which after seeing footage and the carnage it appears was handled pretty well.

In the big scheme of things saving all those lives versus your delays and lost baggage it's a no brainer. This was a massive incident and an unplanned event, what did you want them to do, stop all emergency services and get all other flights away as normal? wake up...

On 04/08/2016 at 3:46 PM, kannot said:

Thanks. This is pretty standard with most airlines.

I'm hoping I don't have to use Emirates or Dubai Airport ever again.