US visa for Thai wife.

Hi,

My wife's best friend getting married in Monterey, Mexico. She wants us to join them for the wedding in August this year.

Looks like a flight into Houston and then over the border into Mexico.

Never been to the states with my wife. I'm British, so can go in on a visa exempt entry I believe.

What is the process for my wife ? What type of visa and how long to obtain ? Any potential hiccups in the process ?

Thanks

At best getting the visa will be a bit of hassle. At worst it will be a major nuisance. Simplest would be to fly to USA (LAX, Houston or Dallas) and just connect in airport to flight to Monterrey. All airside transit, no USA visa, but will need Mexico visa in any event. Mexico visa for Brit is simple wave-by but Thai will need proper visa. Same for return back via USA, whatever visa she may get will need validity for exit and return back to USA.

Apply for a B2 visitor/tourist visa. It's not as hard as many think. Check your application for errors several times and then check it again. The application will require an interview. She should have all supporting paperwork in order and (assuming you live in Thailand) she should have your passport with current and past visa/work permits, etc, etc flagged for the Con. Op to review.

Start here>> http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/non-immigrant_visas.html

Good luck, and have a great trip.

Edited by Shot

At best getting the visa will be a bit of hassle. At worst it will be a major nuisance. Simplest would be to fly to USA (LAX, Houston or Dallas) and just connect in airport to flight to Monterrey. All airside transit, no USA visa, but will need Mexico visa in any event. Mexico visa for Brit is simple wave-by but Thai will need proper visa. Same for return back via USA, whatever visa she may get will need validity for exit and return back to USA.

At US airports all arriving international passengers must go through immigration and customs. There is not an "inside immigration" airside since there is no exit immigration in the US.

As a non US citizen with a Thai wife, the OP's wife will have little problems getting a tourist visa since there is little reason for her not to return to Thailand. Just be sure to show her relationship to you and your ties to Thailand.

TH