CM Neighbourhoods

EvenSteven

I'm planning my first trip to CM for this autumn. I'm traveling alone and will be staying for 1 month. I'd like to hear some recommendations about where to stay in the city. I like it quiet and safe, and would prefer to avoid staying in the area that houses the mob of international tourists yet would like to enjoy what the city is famous for. I'm budgeting my accommodation for around 8-12K baht for the month. I seldom take a taxi and walk anywhere I want to go in a city, as long as it's within 20 minutes on foot.

Btw, are there any apartments that do not require a deposit?

We will let you know when the city remodels itself to meet your walking requirements. We'll also let you know when landlords in Chiang Mai suddenly lose their sanity and decide to let apartments without requiring a deposit - though you might try AirBnB for that.

I agree that Smith Residence is a solid option. However there are many smaller hotels and guest-houses that will do a monthly rate for a steep discount on the daily rate that will fall within your budget or less.

Once you've done your own research, along with more options from this thread, you should be set. I then suggest emailing or calling a few to get it set up, at which point you may bargain some more.

It might be best to stay in a hotel or guest house a few nights first and then check out your short list in person after you get here.

Edited by whimsy

Try Elegant Lanna - They have a web site. It's a quiet place as most of the backpackers are staying nearby but out of earshot. Lots of interesting little restaurants in the nearby sois. The more 'farang' places on the main road seemed a bit expensive to me.

E. Lanna is also cheaper booking on the internet and certainly by the month.

There are also lots of small places to stay behind Huay Kaew Rd, in the vicinity of and including YMCA.

Remember to pack and use your mozzie repellant.