Raise a glass please on this historic day in British football history

SantiSuk

Is this no the first time ever that 3 UK teams have featured in the knock-out stages of a major football tournament? Perhaps Scotland Wales and England did it once before as I've not seen this raised as a celebratory item here or in the limited press stuff I see on the internet.

Anybody else prepared to raise a glass? Probably not - we are a clannish lot in the UK when it comes to sport and many other things. I once got very near to being planted by an English bar owner here in Thailand. He called me over to an obvious discussion going on - "Steve, how do you describe where you come from when someone asks?" "I tell them I'm from the UK". "Your not from the UK, you are English" - proceed to light blue touch-paper!

[smokie is of course given a pass in the celebration stakes this time around but I will be happy to see a foursome do it in future but doubt it in my lifetime]

No referendum red-herrings please.

oh yes - the hand of dog incident

... and, although it's not an anniversary event, I was reminded of another classic memory of England's tournament history - that save by Gordon Banks from Pele in WC 1970. The NI keeper pulled off the save of the tournament so far IMO last night against Germany - powerful down header - low (even lower when saved than Pele's efforts) and a remarkable instinctive leap left and down + strong hands. Banks was a bit better cos he had to get it from behind him. See what you think - i only saw the NI save the one time so maybe I'm being too OTT.

Not having a dig - I have a great fondness for Scotland and all things Scottish - but what is the reason(s) for the decline in the quality of Scottish players. Back in the day, they had some great, and I mean great players. Certainly throughout the 70s there were excellent Scottish players/Scottish national team. Maybe in to the 80s as well. But when did the decline start and why?