Garbage blamed for slowing down of water in drainage tunnel

webfact

So what we have here is large populace which dumps all their garbage into the nearest canal. Cleaning it up is the least of their problems.

They had the foresight to buy the pumps but failed to do the easy part clean out the rubbish. With 8 tonnes collected I am sure it has been building up for some time.

Geez that garbage needs to be fined and/or put behind jails, such a disgusting behaviour from an inanimate object is disgraceful. I hope it will soon be stigmatized and become the trio infernale along with guns shooting people and cars killing people. When will these things learn to adapt to society?

When did Noah build the Ark?

BEFORE it started to rain.

When should the drainage tunnels and channels have been cleared?

It isn't rocket science...

Winnie

Could it be possible that they were cleaned before it rained, and the garbage was washed into them AFTER it rained?

Not rocket science, hydrology.

Well, if the rubbish had been properly dealt with then it couldn't have washed into the drainage channels then could it?

I shouldn't have to explain ideas at this level. I thought I'd left all that behind when I stopped teaching 9-year-olds.

Hydrology... clap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif Earth to Pumpkin...

Winnie

This is no excuse... the BMA are still hopelessly inefficient and ineffective. I accept that there is little sense of community here and that people throw garbage anywhere they can get away with it. But surely the BMA should recognize this and not leave it until it rains to clear the drains.

Yes, and how about imposing heavy fines for littering or dumping garbage?

Winnie

Could it be possible that they were cleaned before it rained, and the garbage was washed into them AFTER it rained?

Well, if the rubbish had been properly dealt with then it couldn't have washed into the drainage channels then could it?

I shouldn't have to explain ideas at this level. I thought I'd left all that behind when I stopped teaching 9-year-olds.

Winnie

What's this, you're 3rd try, and finally you admit you don't know if the canals were clean or not, despite you're rants otherwise.

Takes quite a while, but if led along slowly, you get there.

Most people know that BKK has a garbage problem. Did you expect them to solve that before the wet season?

Must have been hard teaching children smarter than you.

This is no excuse... the BMA are still hopelessly inefficient and ineffective. I accept that there is little sense of community here and that people throw garbage anywhere they can get away with it. But surely the BMA should recognize this and not leave it until it rains to clear the drains.

Yes, and how about imposing heavy fines for littering or dumping garbage?

One of the serious problems with the dysfunctional Thai bersion of culture and society is that when you're thinking of prosecuting someone, first, consideration must be given to who they are, who they know, and who you owe favours to. The law comes a distant 2nd.

It cripples any and all corrupt societies eventually.

W

Winnie

Winnie

What's this, you're 3rd try, and finally you admit you don't know if the canals were clean or not, despite you're rants otherwise.

Takes quite a while, but if led along slowly, you get there.

Most people know that BKK has a garbage problem. Did you expect them to solve that before the wet season?

Must have been hard teaching children smarter than you.

OK. Now I'll take this slowly, because I understand what it must be like, I really do, I truly can imagine.

"What's this, you're 3rd try, and finally you admit you don't know if the canals were clean or not, despite you're rants otherwise."

Here's a clue:

No rubbish in canals = canals clean = no blockages due to rubbish = better water flow = better drainage = less likelihood of flooding.

Rubbish in canals = canals not clean = blockages due to rubbish = less water flow = less drainage = "more water remaining to be drained" crazy.gif .

Hydrology.

I really don't see how you can continue to argue against this, but you're welcome to keep trying of course...

W

Edited by Winniedapu

"What's this, you're 3rd try, and finally you admit you don't know if the canals were clean or not, despite you're rants otherwise."

Here's a clue:

No rubbish in canals = canals clean = no blockages due to rubbish = better water flow = better drainage = less likelihood of flooding.

Yes yes, I am assuming he insinuates that the canals may indeed have been cleaned prior but as we know this country full of "throw your shit wherever you please and don't clean up behind yourself after doing construction work etc", that said garbage has entered the canals after whichever bigger storm and therefore blocked.

Of course this doesn't dismiss your previous statement of "if the garbage had been dealt with properly in the first place" aka not tossed and left wherever people please then there wouldn't really have been doubt about the canals having been cleaned beforehand.

You both are currently trying to explain the other person to only assume A and ignore B, effectively or deliberately talking past each other when both of you are technically right.

At any rate, the garbage is at fault here ;)

Winnie

Here's a rule of thumb for you and all other non-thinkers.

If it takes 3 cleans a year to keep it clear, clean it out 3 times a yesr

If 3 times a year is not enough, clean it out 4 times a year

If 4 times a year is not enough, clean it out 5 times a year

Get the picture? Clean it out as many times as you have to to stop rubbish blocking it.

Or

Find a new job.

It really isn't rocket science, do what the people of Thailand pay you to do. If people's behaviour is responsible, stop bleating that it isn't your faults, and find a solution to changing that behaviour, That is what the people of Thailand pay you to do, so get on and do it.

One can accept the Thai tradition of never accepting responsibility for anything so far and no further.

W

So you totally discount the possibility that a klong can be quite clean just before it rains, and that heavy rain could wash garbage into the klong from the surrounding areas?

Or did you ignore that in favour of your anti-Thai rant?

BTW the BMA workers were out in the pouring rain trying to stop the garbage clogging the system. Great job, highly paid with unbelievably good benefits - you get to keep all the garbage you want.

Last response to this thread.

"So you totally discount the possibility that a klong can be quite clean just before it rains, and that heavy rain could wash garbage into the klong from the surrounding areas?"

Nope. However, the problem doesn't go away, it just gets moved. If what you say is true, then the drainage people are not so much to blame. The street hygiene people are. Which makes no difference at all since the same people are ultimately responsible. All clear now?

"Or did you ignore that in favour of your anti-Thai rant?"

Well. it wasn't a rant, it was aa series of observations and thoughts. Were any of the observations incorrect? Oh I see. by using the expression "anti-Thai", you hope to draw the attention of the moderators. Again.

"BTW the BMA workers were out in the pouring rain trying to stop the garbage clogging the system."

Well. perhaps, to follow your logic, they were to get out and clear the streets, this would not have been necessary. And the sun might have been shining.

Great job, highly paid with unbelievably good benefits - you get to keep all the garbage you want.

In my experience, the job required pretty much reflects the qualifications desired. The same analogy applies: "Clear the rubbish before the rain starts" and "get a good education before you leave school"..

See my point?

That's it for me, comes a point, it all gets too hard. Good luck with the mods.

W

Here's a clue:

Yes yes, I am assuming he insinuates that the canals may indeed have been cleaned prior but as we know this country full of "throw your shit wherever you please and don't clean up behind yourself after doing construction work etc", that said garbage has entered the canals after whichever bigger storm and therefore blocked.

Of course this doesn't dismiss your previous statement of "if the garbage had been dealt with properly in the first place" aka not tossed and left wherever people please then there wouldn't really have been doubt about the canals having been cleaned beforehand.

You both are currently trying to explain the other person to only assume A and ignore B, effectively or deliberately talking past each other when both of you are technically right.

At any rate, the garbage is at fault here wink.png

No. Garbage has no responsibility for good or ill, as someone else has already opined. The Governor voluntarily applied for and got elected to be is paid to bear the responsibility, but doesn't like doing so as much as he likes taking the money. Same as the police and traffic jams an countless other examples. If he couldn't take a joke, he shouldn't have joined...

Thailand is the hub of incompetence, and that is the one thing they do really well.

W

And the cycle continues....

June - Floods... blocked drains (never sufficiently cleaned out each year)

October - Air Quality in the North is very poor due to burning of the fields (Blamed on Burma and Laos, athough plenty of burning can be witnessed in Thailand)

December - Cold spell - Please donate blankets and warm clothes to the people up north (who sold last years dontations !)

End of Demeber - Crack Down on Drink Driving

April - Crack Down on Drink Driving Again, talks of banning alcohol over Songkran.

April - Missmanagement of Reservoirs - Thailand is in drought (particularly the Khorat Plateau and NE)

At Random Periods Throughout the Year:

Bangkok announces enforcement of exisiting traffic laws - Nothing noticable is done.

Crack down on Taxi's (in Phuket, Pattaya and Bangkok - Over charging)

Crack down on illegal Mini-Vans

Crack down on Speed boats and Jet Ski Operators

Crack down on Illegal Resorts in National Park Land

Immigration upset Expats and Tourist asking for yet more documentation (moving goal posts)

Weekly reports of a deadly Bus or Minivan Accident

Every 2 Months someone dies after being hit by a train at a level crossing.

Every 6 Months - Someone young from a wealthy family kills someone while driving their car at night and gets away lightly (no Alcohol or drugs tests)

No. Garbage has no responsibility for good or ill, as someone else has already opined. The Governor voluntarily applied for and got elected to be is paid to bear the responsibility, but doesn't like doing so as much as he likes taking the money. Same as the police and traffic jams an countless other examples. If he couldn't take a joke, he shouldn't have joined...

Thailand is the hub of incompetence, and that is the one thing they do really well.

haha no worries, I perfectly knew where you were coming from, the bigger picture does matter in this regard alright.

Incompetenence, however, is vastly insulting to the word though, it's not like it happens every year roughly around the same time frame and is, like, you know...predictable to 5 year olds. It eludes me as well if there is a word that describes somethign even worse than incompetence, might be a word that needs adding to the dictionary hehe

The problem is this year there was not much rain and the garbage collected in the drains, here in Thailand they depend on heavy rain to go through all the drains to easily wash all the garbage into the rivers and then into the sea.

Flooding also helps with this.

Flooding occasionally isn't a bad thing. It is akin to flushing the toilet now and again.

haha no worries, I perfectly knew where you were coming from, the bigger picture does matter in this regard alright.

Incompetenence, however, is vastly insulting to the word though, it's not like it happens every year roughly around the same time frame and is, like, you know...predictable to 5 year olds. It eludes me as well if there is a word that describes somethign even worse than incompetence, might be a word that needs adding to the dictionary hehe

Negligence.

W