Why is it that university students nurses cannot pass their Thai nursing exams?

Rhys

Speaking with a nursing instructor from a university, she made this observation that many of her students could not pass their Thai Nursing exams on the first try... She compared it to the other program that focuses on training nurses only...many pass on the first exam... The difference, in her opinion was the university nursing instructors focused on so called research as required by their Dean and school, and spent less time developing the art of teaching. The other program through the GOVT required their nursing instructors to have their M.As, and focus on teaching nursing skills and as a result they can teach.

Also both programs required 3 courses in general English, she studied with both western and Thai English instructors.

At her university she studied Freshman English with all majors, but was grouped with nurses. Classes were big about 80-100 students and they used those General English books from Chula. Her friends from the Govt nursing program all had different types of books, some focused only on nursing English or health and some use the books from Chula as well. The one teaching aspect she liked was she had projects in English and health so she used English instead of just filling in the blank pages and listening to lecture.

I've been to Thai hospitals and many of the nurses were of course helpful and friendly...English speaking and listening skills limited. However, there were a few that had the basics down, such as how to ask questions for a patient interview, how to take your meds, and procedures for assorted tests. Whenever this verbal exchanged occurred, I'd would look at their nursing pin, and ask where they studied nursing and where did they learn to speak English.

One nurse very fluent, made this comment, she studied at university program and felt her general education introduced her to more world issues and more exposure to English vocabulary of the world issues. Her colleagues from the Govt nursing schools were more focus on nursing vocabulary and nursing... very little interest in anything else.

I suppose each program has their strengths and weaknesses, however, it is encouraging to experience a Thai nurse speaking English and doing a good job, especially not from Bangkok.

Thus smile at your Thai nurse when she tries to speak to you in English..

Observations in shadesthumbsup.gif

I recently went to the hospital for a check up nothing serious and the nurse who took my blood pressure had "Practical Nurse" on her name badge. Can anyone tell me what a "Practical Nurse" is? I thought all nurses were practical.

I recently went to the hospital for a check up nothing serious and the nurse who took my blood pressure had "Practical Nurse" on her name badge. Can anyone tell me what a "Practical Nurse" is? I thought all nurses were practical.

wow , where have you been ? practical takes b/p , body temp , changes bed linens , cleans the bed pan mess . all the grunt work . a registered nurse works for the doctor . but you knew this , just looking for attention i feel .

There are several levels of nurses or people who work in hospitals.

The first level is nurses assistant which may in some countries called an orderly.

Second level is Practical Nurse which in some countries are call LPNs or Licensed Practical Nurse. They are somewhat restricted in what they are authorized to do. They are the ones that take your BP, temperature and weigh you in when you arrive at the hospital.

Third is a Registered Nurse also called RNs who are authorized to do many things in a hospital. Some of the things they do include dispensing medications, interview you as to what your problem is and things a little more advanced.

Then there are specialty Nurses that have had extra training in a particular field such as Surgical Nurse or Emergency Medical Nurse.

Then there are technicians that are not nurses at all but may work in radiology, therapy, laboratory and a few other things. They are not actually nurses but sometimes look the same.

" The difference, in her opinion was the university nursing instructors focused on so called research as required by their Dean and school, and spent less time developing the art of teaching."

... sounds familiar.

Not only in Thailand.

I would describe most German universities exactly like this.

Is it because of the inability and ignorance of the instructors,or the results of Thailand's non failure policy coming home to roost ?

Actually, they will try to weed them out..but it is retest retest and retest..

No knowledge on nursing courses, but on my record breaking day I interviewed 12 computer science graduates looking for programming jobs where not one could pass a simple test that is the equivalent of 'check the pulse' eg. day 1 training in the industry.

13th candidate no better but turned up uninvited to closed interviews!

Was the initial post supposed to be in English? It was painful to read and therefore impossible to answer.

. I don't agree with that comment. Seemed Ok to me on first read and now also on second read.

wow , where have you been ? practical takes b/p , body temp , changes bed linens , cleans the bed pan mess . all the grunt work . a registered nurse works for the doctor . but you knew this , just looking for attention i feel .

MNo, in Oz there used to be "enrolled" nurses and "registered " nurses. Enrolled nurses were actually nursing aides, in Thailand they wear yellow! thumbsup.gifwai.gif

I know that so if that is what they call a practical nurse are there any other type of nurses? Theater nurses, ICU etc I know but are there any that are non-practical nurses?

I think the problem is that Universities train nurses by the standard international Nursing Sylabus and to that standard. They can go and work in a ward in any country but of course they need language skills for that.

Thai nurses trained in schools are trained to the old standards where the one nurse on duty in a hospital can sleep as no nursing is done at night. Their nursing is the equivalent of take 2 asprins and go home. The local tests they are claiming the nurses who are university trained cannot pass are ones that probably cover things like how do you serve tea to the doctor when he comes for ward rounds.

Actually it is the Thai Nursing Council program's requirements for both systems- private and govt nursing programs. Special courses are needed for NCLEX : first for the nursing procedures, then of course to understand what they have read in English. Hospital Stay care generally a family policy... an Asian custom, not like the west. Of course both types nurses look over dressing and medication needs and assisting the MD.

The International types of hospitals in BKK, are staffed by both types of grads.. Of course at the more expensive like BUMRAND (?)..(English skills are better) with the MDs and RNs. They don't like to give ASA here.. it is paracetamol.

A while back, the GOVT was pushing training program for RNs to work abroad and of course within the AEC...Most want to work in Western countries (higher salary) or do their masters their as well. As far as % of govt to private nursing programs that have students accepted in to MA and Ph.D programs.. seems more an issue with paying back student loans with time teaching.

Do nurses not have to do time onn a ward before they are allowed to do their exams. In Canada there are student nurses on almost every shift. Sure cheers a guy up when they come in the room

Yes, they do. They are generally supervised by their college staff, excluding the College Director. Pass rate vary widely across colleges, though I have no idea what the pass rates are like for university graduates.

Archived