So what did the Brexit supporters gain?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, AlexRich said:

Great ... Kangaroo meat ... that'll go down a storm. 

Seriously, a trade deal with Australia vs a 500 m plus European market ... there is no comparison.

As for trade deals, the 'experts' (sorry, I know they are unpopular) say otherwise ... it takes many years to have these in place ... a decade for many. 

How much kangaroo meat does the UK import from the EU ?

My sentence above is as ridiculous as your post.

Identify the necessities that the UK currently imports from the EU and source and set up trade deals to keep that rolling. I am of the opinion that there is no way on this Earth that this will take decades to set up.

Identify priorities and fix. Everything else is secondary.

4 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I remember when we went cap in hand to the IMF, the sick man of Europe ... Happy Days. Poor, but happy. 

You know what. In all my travels around the world.

Some of the happiest people I have ever met in my life were dirt poor, from dirt poor Countries. Some of the unhappiest people I have had the misfortune of meeting were rich in comparison from perceived rich Countries.

Envy and keeping up with the Jones's has got a lot to answer for.

The so called rich West lost its way between reality and fantasy, which was flocking great for some because they made credit easily available to feed that fantasy.

22 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

I remember the days when all our Lamb came from New Zealand and all the beef came from Argentina.

Great meat, great prices.

Its a waste of time talking to them  MissAndray , the glass will always be half empty for them,they cannot bear the fact they lost and will just go on and on 

2 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

Some of the happiest people I have ever met in my life were dirt poor, from dirt poor Countries. Some of the unhappiest people I have had the misfortune of meeting were rich in comparison from perceived rich Countries.

The so called rich West lost its way between reality and fantasy, which was flocking great for some because they made credit easily available to feed that fantasy.

I think poor people are happier as they get wealthier ... I don't think any Thai who is poor is happy about it. So economic growth and wealth is important for people's well being.

Your point about trade deals is just plain wrong .. they take a very long time to agree, many years. China will take 10 years at least.

2 minutes ago, i claudius said:

Its a waste of time talking to them  MissAndray , the glass will always be half empty for them,they cannot bear the fact they lost and will just go on and on 

Oh God, here we go ... another one that thought the referendum was a football match. You didn't win anything ... you bought a losing ticket. Why did the Chinese Daily describe the country as having a 'losing mentality'? Because they don't understand why anyone would vote to diminish their country. 

11 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Oh God, here we go ... another one that thought the referendum was a football match. You didn't win anything ... you bought a losing ticket. Why did the Chinese Daily describe the country as having a 'losing mentality'? Because they don't understand why anyone would vote to diminish their country. 

Thats your take on it ,glass half full , i tend to look to the future ,not dwell on the past , football match or not WE WON ,WE WON WE WON , YADDY YADDY YA YA .

sorry just another childish moment:thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, i claudius said:

Thats your take on it ,glass half full , i tend to look to the future ,not dwell on the past , football match or not WE WON ,WE WON WE WON , YADDY YADDY YA YA .

sorry just another childish moment:thumbsup:

:clap2:

Just reminded me of a football joke. 

"England, beaten by Iceland, and screwed by people who shop at Iceland"

Edited by AlexRich
6 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I think poor people are happier as they get wealthier ... I don't think any Thai who is poor is happy about it. So economic growth and wealth is important for people's well being.

Your point about trade deals is just plain wrong .. they take a very long time to agree, many years. China will take 10 years at least.

You think that the people I am referring to are getting wealthier ? You are very much mistaken.

Unfortunately Thai's are are now falling into the same trap of trying to keep up with the Jones's. Rampant consumerism that does not provide happiness, the polar opposite.

In your opinion my point on trade deals is wrong. Time will tell, although I will concede that some trade deals may well take a long time to finalise, others will not. For example, Slovenia produces XXXX, of that XXXX 95% is currently exported to the UK. How long do you think it will take to sort out that trade deal ? UK - Slovenia a very short space of time. Involve the EU possibly the best part of a decade.

The EU is too slow, cumbersome, autocratic and a creaking dinosaur to be of any use in the 21st Century.

56 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

I remember the days when all our Lamb came from New Zealand and all the beef came from Argentina.

Great meat, great prices.

Argentine beef is available in the EU

As for lamb

New Zealand has a quota of 280,000 tonnes of sheep meat access to the EU which comes tariff free - with half of that being taken into the UK.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/business/307229/brexit-nz-beef-up,-or-sacrificial-lamb

Edited by rockingrobin
2 hours ago, SgtRock said:

For all those that are espousing the it will take the UK decades to set up trade deals after Brexit.

Think again.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/sep/05/australia-to-seal-early-trade-deal-with-britain-after-brexit-predicts-turnbull

I have no doubt whatsover, that this is being replicated throughout the rest of the World, where the UK has deemed it a priority to have trade deals in place. Ready to roll on the day the official divorce takes place.

It might do some people a world of good to kick their pessimism to the kerb and replace it with a large dollop of optimism.

You are right. The fuel for the financial world is economic confidence. It seems that some Bremainers will only be happy hoping if they can induce a self fulfilling prophesy  that the country goes to the dogs then they can say "See, we were right."  Who are the real Little Englanders?

Edited by Linzz
Gr
17 minutes ago, Linzz said:

You are right. The fuel for the financial world is economic confidence. It seems that some Bremainers will only be happy hoping if they can induce a self fulfilling prophesy  that the country goes to the dogs then they can say "See, we were right."  Who are the real Little Englanders?

So if it doesn't quite work out it will be because of people who are unhappy with Brexit posting on forums?

Do you think the 150 page document outlining Japan's concerns were induced because they spent too much time reading forums? Why build a car factory to serve a market that you can only access after paying tariffs? The prophesy is not self-fulfilling, it's merely logic coupled with common sense and an understanding how business operates.

Probably just happy to see someone lower down the scale than themselves?

Following on from the leaked Boris Johnson Brexit plan.

It would seem that the PM has in part, shot him down in flames.

Theresa May has said that she is prepared to block Boris Johnson’s plans for a points-based migration system after Britain leaves the European Union.

I think she has got this correct.

Mrs May is instead considering a work permit system, which would enable Britain to introduce quotas on the numbers of migrants for different parts of the economy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/04/g20-summit-theresa-may-ready-to-block-boris-johnsons-point-based/

Much more sensible approach.

5 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

So if it doesn't quite work out it will be because of people who are unhappy with Brexit posting on forums?

Do you think the 150 page document outlining Japan's concerns were induced because they spent too much time reading forums? Why build a car factory to serve a market that you can only access after paying tariffs? The prophesy is not self-fulfilling, it's merely logic coupled with common sense and an understanding how business operates.

This "scaremongering" was pointed out long before the referendum.

I think we need to re-define the word "scaremongering" - to mean "raising reasoned and plausible arguments"

30 minutes ago, Linzz said:

"if they can induce a self fulfilling prophesy  that the country goes to the dogs" - I've heard some Brexit cop-outs, but that takes the biscuit!

LOL thought I'd get a reaction with that one. Forgive me, it was a little tongue in cheek. No of course people posting on this or any other blog will not change the course of history. But then a national hangover will do no one any good let alone move the country forward which was a response to Stg Rock's post

Just now, Linzz said:

LOL thought I'd get a reaction with that one. Forgive me, it was a little tongue in cheek. No of course people posting on this or any other blog will not change the course of history. But then a national hangover will do no one any good let alone move the country forward which was a response to Stg Rock's post

Tongue in cheek? Really?

Why build a car factory to serve a market that you can only access after paying tariffs?

Nissan only built in Sunderland because they were given a £150 Million sweetener by the UK Government.

Not because it was out of love or loyalty for the UK.

Whilst I think it is correct that the Japanese Government voices its concerns. Ultimately it has very little to do with Japan and is between the EU and the UK.

On the subject of hypothetical tariffs ( because at the moment that is all they are ) when push comes to shove for these Japanese business's, the crucial factor will be relocation and set up costs compared to any tariff costs.

Just now, SgtRock said:

Nissan only built in Sunderland because they were given a £150 Million sweetener by the UK Government.

Whilst I think it is correct that the Japanese Government voices its concerns. Ultimately it has very little to do with Japan and is between the EU and the UK.

On the subject of hypothetical tariffs ( because at the moment that is all they are ) when push comes to shove for these Japanese business's, the crucial factor will be relocation and set up costs compared to any tariff costs.

Thank god you're not my Accountant - the price made it worth making cars to SELL IN THE EU!

so by your great logic the UK government will have to pay any duties or costs levied by the EU so that the nissan, Honda et all can continue - does a figure of 350 billion sound about right???

Of course, Germany is going to allow it's EU lackeys to impose punitive trade tariffs on Britain's car exports to EU countries which are mostly other than Germany, resulting in tit-for-tat tarriffs on the huge German car export market to the UK :rolleyes:. The hysteria from remainers is limitless.

1 hour ago, cumgranosalum said:

Thank god you're not my Accountant - the price made it worth making cars to SELL IN THE EU!

so by your great logic the UK government will have to pay any duties or costs levied by the EU so that the nissan, Honda et all can continue - does a figure of 350 billion sound about right???

In my post you could see references to:

1. The UK Government paying duties levied by the EU

2. £ 350 Billion

When you can see things that are not written, and you do not know the difference between £ 350 Billion and £ 350 Million, it is not an accountant you need, it is return to school.

Keep trolling away. It highlights your inadequacies perfectly :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, cumgranosalum said:

Britain cannot easily dismiss Japanese Brexit warning letter

If non-EU countries’ economic interests continue to be threatened, 15-page report may well be the first of many warning shots

Grauniad

Anyone who thinks the EU will make special deals with the UK when they have every chance of inheriting the Japanese car business and the financial services needs to come back down to earth. The EU has been very clear since day one on the single market, all or nothing.

The UK has a population of around 65 Million as opposed to the EU at around 750 million so little wonder the Japanese are concerned. It is not all about tariffs, EU law and single market regulations come into play.

As a result of historical events the UK has a disproportionate presence in the global scheme of things, today however it can be likened to a rain forest, once cut down little chance of growing again.

Do you think that £150m is significant? I don't. Compared to the amount of investment that has come from Japan ... not to mention the additional business enjoyed by satellite local companies that serve their needs. 

Also, check out City AM today ... Lloyds of London insurance market indicating that they will quit the City if they are not given guarantees about access to the European market.

You can argue any point you like with one Japanese car firm, but you are missing the point ... being that we may well see an avalanche of businesses doing the same thing around the country. I wonder how many companies considering setting up a branch in Europe are thinking about the UK? A couple of years ago we would have been on the top of their list, but that has changed. 

You can't replace these businesses easily and the economic impact will be significant.

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

Of course, Germany is going to allow it's EU lackeys to impose punitive trade tariffs on Britain's car exports to EU countries which are mostly other than Germany, resulting in tit-for-tat tarriffs on the huge German car export market to the UK :rolleyes:. The hysteria from remainers is limitless.

You really need to get your facts right before sounding off. Tariffs would be a result of WTO access and nothing to do with the EU.

" One scenario much discussed by free traders within the Brexit ranks, as well as those who want a clean break with the rules of the EU, is known as World Trade Organisation access. "

Brexit and the WTO option: Key questions about a looming challenge

https://www.ft.com/content/5741129a-4510-11e6-b22f-79eb4891c97d

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

For a laugh, please update us on what you think will happen? The UK will get unfettered access to the EU, passport rights ... everything that we want plus we will have restrictions on free movement and pay nothing? 

You are dreaming ... the EU will do whatever it can to take business from the UK and give it as little as possible in return ... because it cannot afford to do anything that would encourage other countries to also cherry pick what they want. Do you think that German manufacturers only do business with the UK? Dream on.