Is Krabi safe enough for a solo traveller?

horsemachine

The city of Krabi is pretty tame.

Ao Nang is 20 minutes from there, and could be as risky as you make it.

I would rate Ao Nang as safer than Pattaya, Phuket and Bangkok

I only stayed there for 3 months, by myself. Actually walked from Ao Nang to Krabi Mueang one afternoon.

sounds good. so did you go anywhere you'd probably visit again for like sightseeing and hiking?

Best bet is get on the Ferry (There is a nice, uncrowded ferry landing on the inlet just 3 kilometers down the road from Krabi Mueang...(follow inlet). Many, many islands available. Get a one way ticket to ...say Koh Phi Phi..You can island hop. I took a ferry one way, stopped there, and then got a ferry to Phuket.

Yeah....islands.

Temple way up high on the hills too....I did not do that..but heard it was nice. Close to the city.

Airport was very convenient too. I supposed I was there before the tourist season. (6 years ago)

Thais have a perception western women who show a bit of thigh and midriff are asking for sex.

If you keep your wits about you, don't get drunk or otherwise impair your judgement and don't take rides with strangers including taxis, or taxi motorbikes you will likely be OK. Sort of impairs your choices.

Why not just cover up a bit more, of course you still might get attacked, seems to be endemic throughout the globe

However if you do have a problem as in some form of sexual attack, your choice of clothing will be held against you-no different than in the west, but you might find police less than helpful and for sure many of the more crustier expats on this forum will blame you for even daring to travel alone.

I only stayed there for 3 months, by myself. Actually walked from Ao Nang to Krabi Mueang one afternoon.

You walked some 15-18 kilometers? Most walk about 3 kilometers per hour, so you spent 5 hours walking? Nothing better to do?

Considering the motorbikes using the side of the road and somewhat dodgy drivers, I would not recommend this for just your average traveler. Not to mention just sounds monotonous as all hell.

OP-before spending the money on Red Ginger, check out SriSukant. Rates might be better, pool nicer, directly across from the beach.

You walked some 15-18 kilometers? Most walk about 3 kilometers per hour, so you spent 5 hours walking? Nothing better to do?

Considering the motorbikes using the side of the road and somewhat dodgy drivers, I would not recommend this for just your average traveler. Not to mention just sounds monotonous as all hell.

OP-before spending the money on Red Ginger, check out SriSukant. Rates might be better, pool nicer, directly across from the beach.

Some people like to walk. 3 km/h would be really slow BTW, 5 km/h is more average, and real walkers go faster.

Nothing wrong with Krabi, lots of western tourists there.

One suggestion I would make though, especially outside of the tourist areas is to dress a bit more conservatively. Krabi is a province with a substantial Muslim population that makes up almost half it's entire population, so they are somewhat more conservative with regards to dress than Thais further north.

Thanks Tom for the useful info. may i ask if wearing a crop top with shorts would be alright?

I would say yes in Ao Nang and the islands, maybe better not if going on an excursion out of town, including to Muang Krabi?

Only dangerous part in Ao is the greasy Car Park down at the Ferry.....Visitors on Mocy fall of daily under the tree sheltered part. Its safe here,nice Muslims n Thais.Many Singapore visitors now

Plenty of Malaysians too, at least when I was there 2 years ago. Tons of cars and motorcycles with Malaysian number plates, even the odd Malaysian tour bus. Heard the Thais banned Malaysian tour buses from driving further north of Songkhla last year, not sure if that was a temporary or permanent measure though. However, most Malaysians (I went during a public holiday period in May 2014) drive up and probably half the town was full of them at that time, just my resort alone had like 5 Malaysian cars parked there.

im a walker too. spending several hours walking is nice if the company or view is good.

thanks for the recommendation. good to have more options.

im a walker too. spending several hours walking is nice if the company or view is good.

thanks for the recommendation. good to have more options.

O.K., fine-and-dandy but the walk from lets say,,,, McDonald's Plaza to the Marine National Park at the end of Hat Napparat and beyond is going to be a lot more enjoyable than to walk to Krabi Town.

I dunno, maybe walking on a hot dusty road is preferable to some than along the coast.... to each their own, no matter what, have a good time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived