Pepper Spray

GracelessFawn

I'm wondering if Pepper Spray is available in Bangkok. I misplaced mine this morning and I want to get another container!

This past year, I never left my crib without my pepper spray. I've been robbed and stalked a few times here in BKK, so I carry pepper spray as a precaution when I hit the streets.

So far, it hasn't been necessary to use it on anyone, but I like carrying it around as a comfort thing. (I love feeling it in my pocket or holding it in my hand while I walk the street!) It gives me confidence.................

I know, I sound freaky, but I've been robbed at least 2x and stalked some. (I've been here for almost 6 years but I live alone and I ain't gots no blood relatives here in Thailand. The unpleasant incidents have got me traumatized big time!) Walking the streets after dark gives me anxieties. I make it a point not to go out at night especially when I am alone, but there are times when I have to.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame the OP didn't have her pepper spray on her when she was molested on Sukhumvit recently. That would have taught the guy a lesson.

I had it with me, but I didn't think it was necessary for me to use it! The guy in Sukhumvit is an a****hole, but he wasn't a threat to my safety or life!

Edited by GracelessFawn

Thats hardcore stuff. have you considered one of those small high pitch squealing things? no not babies (although the sight of you carrying a baby could repel the stalker), a battery operated squealing thingi.

What are they called? And where can I get them?

I dont know what they are called. All I know is you push the button and they make a very very loud sound, attracting lots of attention. Like a powerful scream. only saw them once or twice, don't know where.

You can buy it from MBK, 4th floor down the end near powerbuy. There are a few shops down there that sell random things inc pepper spray, stun guns, and "small high pitch squealing things". You will find them stocked next to the vibrators and sunglasses.

Best of luck.

Thats hardcore stuff. have you considered one of those small high pitch squealing things? no not babies (although the sight of you carrying a baby could repel the stalker), a battery operated squealing thingi.

What are they called? And where can I get them?

I think they're called katoeys, Britmaverick can point you in the right direction :o

You can buy it from MBK, 4th floor down the end near powerbuy. There are a few shops down there that sell random things inc pepper spray, stun guns, and "small high pitch squealing things". You will find them stocked next to the vibrators and sunglasses.

Best of luck.

Thanks VanZam.

I'll have a look at MBK then.

The problem with using this type of device for security, really it doesn’t work, No doubt the product does, but many people stay out of other situations not trying to get involved. Like screaming or shouting for help. Quiet often you are not going to get any. (Help that is)

Pepper spray, if it makes you fell safe get it. The only time it would become a problem is if you used it, then even if you where in trouble it may be better than what would have happened if you had not had and used the pepper spray.

It also works on stray dogs, with or without rabies.

I dont know what they are called. All I know is you push the button and they make a very very loud sound, attracting lots of attention. Like a powerful scream. only saw them once or twice, don't know where.

Hehe, like anyone in thailand would give a shit...? The only possible effect is that it will alert people to get away from the scene so they don't get involved in anything. The "squealy thing" is not a good idea here.

Pepper spray, stun guns, spring batons etc are available in "Wang Burapha" (around the "Old Siam" department store) in chinatown. (Along with firearms etc, but for those you need a license). Pepper spray, stun guns etc can be acquired without a license. Watch the expiry date on pepper spray - it is only good for ~2 years after manufacture.

Hehe, like anyone in thailand would give a shit...? The only possible effect is that it will alert people to get away from the scene so they don't get involved in anything. The "squealy thing" is not a good idea here.

i guess. :D

i'm just trying to give the lady some more options. it may work in some situations. pepper spray seems so harsh unless it's really serious. Having both would be a good option. The loud squealing thing for the medium threats and the pepper spray for the serious ones.

Did you consider a gun?

joking :o

u must be the hottest girl .. :o

for me, i dont need that stuff, coz i don't go out in any risk place

I have been living in TH for 33 yrs..never got those harm

Maybe im too ugly or lucky :D

ps.. you can find that spray at MBK, Klong Thom ..even even online shopping

...either she is that, or maybe not a girl at all... :D

...in other words, it usually takes either bad luck, bad judgement (being in places where one shouldn't be, at times when one shouldn't be there), bad attitude or bad company to get assaulted in BKK...

Edited by lingling

The twist in these words from Bambina is 'having a weapon can lead you into a false sense of security'

If you've been robbed and stalked several times in a year then you really ought to be looking at what it is you are doing that is getting you into those situations.

The big danger with any weapon is you fumble using it and then really p1ss your assailent off.

The best weapon you have is your instincts, fright and flight.

If a place doesn't feel safe it probably isn't.

Squealing devices are good, crooks do not like attention.

The big danger with any weapon is you fumble using it and then really p1ss your assailent off.

Yes... I totally agree with you , just dont act like a poor Putana!!

I always imagine and think about the best way how to solve the prb before it happens

as

-if my car sinks in lake/river .. what 'd i do? ( open the window /door before)

-if im in a rape situation ..what'd i do? ( pretends like i want a hot sex with him and then squeeze his balls and poke his eyes maybe hit his neck later)

etc ..etc

so when i have those sitution atleast i'm in concious and i know what'd i do.. just automatic as reflex from spinal cord

Yes... I totally agree with you , just dont act like a poor Putana!!

I always imagine and think about the best way how to solve the prb before it happens

as

-if my car sinks in lake/river .. what 'd i do? ( open the window /door before)

-if im in a rape situation ..what'd i do? ( pretends like i want a hot sex with him and then squeeze his balls and poke his eyes maybe hit his neck later)

etc ..etc

so when i have those sitution atleast i'm in concious and i know what'd i do.. just automatic as reflex from spinal cord

Why don't you make the pepperspray yourselve ...simply a empty perfume spraybottle and fill it with water and chilli powder,or fresh chilli juice......same effect:))

...either she is that, or maybe not a girl at all... :D

...in other words, it usually takes either bad luck, bad judgement (being in places where one shouldn't be, at times when one shouldn't be there), bad attitude or bad company to get assaulted in BKK...

I think bad luck is you catch all here. Anything that doesn't meet the other criteria falls into this one. Not especially helpful though since avoiding badluck is impossible. Is all you can do is be prepared for it.

The twist in these words from Bambina is 'having a weapon can lead you into a false sense of security'

If you've been robbed and stalked several times in a year then you really ought to be looking at what it is you are doing that is getting you into those situations.

Unfortunately drunks don't much care.

Hot - Nah!

A good friend of mine and I have gone over <deleted> and tried to analyzed why I'm such a target for crooks........... We both discovered that I'm somewhat victim material! (Long hair, not to confident, looks kinda lost, plus my ###### eyes-which I can fix during the day by wearing glasses!) My friend even suggested that I should look a bit bitchy! She seems to think it will work!

And yeah, Bambina - I've visualize situations and what I could do, even studied martial arts, but I've been mauled before.......... I did land a punch! And I'm sure the assailant woke up with broken testicles. But I do know that men are stronger than women and they can hit harder! (So if I can, I wanna avoid hand-to-hand combat...........)

Edited by GracelessFawn

I've been here for almost 6 years Guesthouse so things happen here and there between those years......... (It has traumatized me!)

And you're right, instinct! I use it a lot.......... but most incidents happen in the streets....... Say Thonglor, Phrakanong (on my way to Jusco at about 8PM) etc.

Edited by GracelessFawn

i guess. :D

i'm just trying to give the lady some more options. it may work in some situations. pepper spray seems so harsh unless it's really serious. Having both would be a good option. The loud squealing thing for the medium threats and the pepper spray for the serious ones.

Did you consider a gun?

joking :o

Nahhhhhhh........... I ain't that dramatic!

The problem with using this type of device for security, really it doesn’t work, No doubt the product does, but many people stay out of other situations not trying to get involved. Like screaming or shouting for help. Quiet often you are not going to get any. (Help that is)

Pepper spray, if it makes you fell safe get it. The only time it would become a problem is if you used it, then even if you where in trouble it may be better than what would have happened if you had not had and used the pepper spray.

It also works on stray dogs, with or without rabies.

Well said, Rocky! Thanks for the vote of confidence!